Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Sep 2008, 21:11 (Ref:2282531)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Donington Plans Revealed

The Best image is available in PDF form HERE

With the Autosport Story and picture that too small to see Here

Anyone think the "After Hours" reveal on a Friday was to allow the circuit owners time to duck ?
Old 5 Sep 2008, 21:34 (Ref:2282547)   #2
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder where the 100,000+ crowd are going to go ?
Old 5 Sep 2008, 23:19 (Ref:2282605)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
To Silverstone to watch MotoGP.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 05:21 (Ref:2282672)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A lot of work there. Are the plans approved?
Old 6 Sep 2008, 05:41 (Ref:2282682)   #5
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Are the plans approved?
I think this is coming out as part of the paperwork in the approval process
Old 6 Sep 2008, 06:45 (Ref:2282689)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So another six months then.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 07:35 (Ref:2282696)   #7
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it actually, all the good corners seem to have been removed, the tedious Melbourne loop has been removed and they have still got the national circuit option with a chicane to miss out the hairpin.

So long as they don't give the Craner curves too much run off then for once a circuit could be changed for the better IMO.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2282706)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Well, they are going to make Coppice sharper it looks like, which is a bit of a shame, but it appears we are also going to lose the large spectator embankment in the inside of the circuit (near the Spitfire).

Tarmac run off me no like.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 09:04 (Ref:2282714)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks good. The classic corners are still there; it does make sense to move the pits. Let's hope they keep (or at least move) the Dunlop Bridge and Spitfire though. I don't like tarmac runoff but in this day and age it's becoming necessary.

The new section looks quite good, too.

Also, there looks like there is a new national circuit that uses the F1 pits and shortcuts after T2 to Starkey's Bridge. Also there's another one that uses the old pits and shortcuts back after Old Hairpin.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 6 Sep 2008 at 09:06.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 09:30 (Ref:2282732)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
...I don't like tarmac runoff but in this day and age it's becoming necessary...
Why is tarmac run off becoming nesessary exactly?
Old 6 Sep 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2282737)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
As things move on its been found that scrubbing off speed is better than a car digging into the gravel and rolling.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 10:49 (Ref:2282768)   #12
Pete_58
Rookie

England
Pete_58 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So just to claify, the pit lane area, garages etc will be on the straight where the Dunlop bridge is now? The infield addition looks good. Be some gradient change there aswell. Looking at hthe plans, it looks good. With all this going on do we (people that follow MotoGP such as myself!) assume MotoGP will be somewhere else next season?
Old 6 Sep 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2282773)   #13
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'll be exciting to see Donington get a complete overhaul with new pits and a decent long straight but I'm not sure that the new loop will add anything to the racing as I'm fairly sure it'll be single file in most cars.

Hopefully there will be some spectator access on the inside of the Craners.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing it completed but i'm still unconvinced that the access roads are adequate enough to enable race traffic to arrive and depart efficiently.

I'd also advise anyone to avoid flying from East Midlands that Weekend!!!
Old 6 Sep 2008, 11:00 (Ref:2282774)   #14
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly83

I'd also advise anyone to avoid flying from East Midlands that Weekend!!!

Unless thats the plan, they get you to park at airports around the country then you hop on a plane, and a bus from the airport to the track

Park and Fly sounds better than Park and ride
Old 6 Sep 2008, 11:25 (Ref:2282789)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
That's a pretty long radius left hander in the middle.... that will be bad for racing I feel. I was expecting something a bit more interesting than that.

On the plus side that's a massive straight from Coppice down to Melbourne hairpin!!!
Old 6 Sep 2008, 11:34 (Ref:2282794)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i've been looking at this for a little while now and i can't quite make up my mind whether the traditionalist in me is revolting against any change to the circuit or whether i'll be pleased to see the big waste of infield go. i too think the installation of tarmac runoff is a big waste of time - you may as well paint a big line up until the gravel trap cause they're going to use it as part of the circuit. the current start grid has been inadequate for a long time.

i'm pleased they won't change the majority of the circuit though. what sort of a raceday figure are they aiming for? i count 60,000 in the grandstands, that's not really silverstone numbers...
Old 6 Sep 2008, 11:48 (Ref:2282797)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I don't mind changes if they improve a circuit and that's what proposed here, I think.

However, I fear it may be academic in view of the staff changes announced this week. I just don't see it happening.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 11:48 (Ref:2282798)   #18
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh look, guess who designed it?!!
Old 6 Sep 2008, 11:52 (Ref:2282800)   #19
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
oh look, guess who designed it?!!
Erm.....Little Johnny, Class 5c, Castle Donington Primary School?
Old 6 Sep 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2282823)   #20
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it looks good, it certainly would persuade me to go back to Donington once these changes are done.

The nice long straight is excellant and the new long left hand infield turn will definately give the engineers a head-ache, when previously nearly everyturn at Donington except 1 has been a right hander.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 13:54 (Ref:2282849)   #21
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
I like it actually, all the good corners seem to have been removed, the tedious Melbourne loop has been removed and they have still got the national circuit option with a chicane to miss out the hairpin.

So long as they don't give the Craner curves too much run off then for once a circuit could be changed for the better IMO.
Er, just I've just realised I made a typo, I meant kept!
Old 6 Sep 2008, 16:54 (Ref:2282926)   #22
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, and the Melbourne loop hasn't been removed either!

Pity that, because it is tedious.

Jim
Old 6 Sep 2008, 18:38 (Ref:2282972)   #23
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anybody noticed the unhighlighted trace which follows on from the Melbourne loop and looks very racing-circuit like?

It's funny, because I'd heard there were plans for something like that. Maybe a further extension planned for the future?
Old 6 Sep 2008, 18:52 (Ref:2282982)   #24
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I believe the new Melbourne Loop is more or less in line with the old loop that was used to create the 3.125-mile pre-war Grand Prix circuit.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 19:11 (Ref:2282997)   #25
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Let's hope they keep (or at least move) the Dunlop Bridge and Spitfire though.
I thought someone had said in the "Donington to host BGP" thread, or whatever it was called [why am I thinking Jim W.....??] that the Spitfire hasn't been there for a while...... I haven't been to Donington for a good few years now though so not sure.