Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Jan 2021, 22:36 (Ref:4028530)   #1476
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Matt Neal tweeting ******** again today...

Halfords Yuasa Testicle Racing

I suspect the big Honda logo on the roof is a thing of the past...
Why do you think the H will be gone? It's over five years ago that they stopped being a 'Honda' team in terms of title sponsorship.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 22:39 (Ref:4028531)   #1477
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I heard the Smelt rumour from a source connected with the team in question. Whether it's happening I guess we'll see, that it's been a talked about is a thing.

Plato on the move would be interesting though this Rory Butcher thing has been screamed from the rooftops forever. And I guess he's gone for a more attractive (to his mind) deal than staying in the Focus. Shaun H rates him so would definitely have wanted him in the car I reckon. Personally I see the Focii whipping the Toyota's ass.
I think it’s more the fact there was no offer to stay in the focus because of budget
Old 12 Jan 2021, 22:59 (Ref:4028537)   #1478
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
On WSR's tweet - "Andrew are you making a comeback?" "Not with Weasel Racing no."
It's the attitude of someone who has never had to work for anything in their life. Even if it were true that WSR had mistreated him, he gains nothing from publicly critising them (repeatedly!). It's just going to make a future sponsor wary.

Even someone as controversial as Jason Plato over the years, has, to the best of my knowledge, never openly critised a former team in this manner. 2019 proved that Plato hadn't just lost all his talent in 2018, and whilst perhaps a few comments were made here-and-there while he was floundering in the broken Subaru, there was nothing like the vitirol Jordan is showing to his ex-employer.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 06:14 (Ref:4028572)   #1479
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Speedworks have confirmed that their 2nd race car is a new build and the test car will run this year as well.
True:

https://twitter.com/SpeedworksMS/status/1349030016873586690?s=19
Old 13 Jan 2021, 07:56 (Ref:4028581)   #1480
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
It's the attitude of someone who has never had to work for anything in their life. Even if it were true that WSR had mistreated him, he gains nothing from publicly critising them (repeatedly!). It's just going to make a future sponsor wary.

Even someone as controversial as Jason Plato over the years, has, to the best of my knowledge, never openly critised a former team in this manner. 2019 proved that Plato hadn't just lost all his talent in 2018, and whilst perhaps a few comments were made here-and-there while he was floundering in the broken Subaru, there was nothing like the vitirol Jordan is showing to his ex-employer.
Absolutely. JP acts like a true professional. We all know there was a relationship breakdown within BMR but neither JP or BMR have bad mouthed each other.

AJ just acts like a pre-pubescent kid. The signals this must send to other possible teams are all negative. If he can so publically disrespect Dick Bennetts and Co. then he could do the same to you. For this reason alone I would never ever touch him if I were a team owner. Much as I do not like Andy Neate I'd welcome him with open arms before AJ.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 08:03 (Ref:4028584)   #1481
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Fan survey from TOCA if anyone's interested:

https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/btcc21

Chance to win some BTCC tickets. Not sure which year they'll be for!
Old 13 Jan 2021, 08:28 (Ref:4028587)   #1482
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
AJ just acts like a pre-pubescent kid. The signals this must send to other possible teams are all negative. If he can so publically disrespect Dick Bennetts and Co. then he could do the same to you. For this reason alone I would never ever touch him if I were a team owner.
When he joined WSR, didn't he make some comment about them being the most professional team he had ever worked with, upsetting Motorbase in the process.

You can get away with acting like that when you have a near-guaranteed budget from a long-term sponsor. Whatever team owners think of him personally, they were always happy to welcome Pirtek's bundle of cash. Problem is, he doesn't have that any more.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 09:22 (Ref:4028594)   #1483
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
When he joined WSR, didn't he make some comment about them being the most professional team he had ever worked with, upsetting Motorbase in the process.
It's a well-trodden path that AJ walks along (he's not alone in that regard).
Sign a deal - tell the world how this is the best team on the grid.
Leave a team - tell the world you left on good terms.
Get upset with your former team - tell the world you didn't like it there anyway.
Sign a deal - tell the world why you are now in a better team to all of your previous ones.

The official press releases are (usually) full of the typical praise for everyone involved - the social media comments are what would worry me as a potential backer.

AJ:
7/1/15 - 'Joining this team [MG/888] gives me the best chance I will have of winning the championship again'
'it came down to deciding on the package that gave us the best chance of winning the championship'
'it’s a really positive move for me personally and I believe it gives us a great shot at the title again'

28/10/15 - 'You need to have a passion to succeed in the BTCC and we want to be with a team that really wants to win. David and the team at Motorbase have that passion and determination'

18/10/16 - 'I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with Motorbase; they are a fantastic team [...] we split on amicable terms and I wish David [Bartrum] and the team all the best for the future.'

18/12/19 - 'Everyone wants to drive for the best team in the field, so to be repaid by Dick (Bennetts, WSR Team Principle) and BMW with a seat of this type means a lot.'
'I thought that staying with BMW was the only chance I’d be on the BTCC grid next year, but I really didn’t think that was possible, and if I wasn’t going to be with WSR, I didn’t want to be there.'
'I’m here on merit and not because I’ve got a big bag of cash.'

1/7/20 - 'Leaving BMW and WSR happened on good terms.'

12/1/20 - 'Not with Weasel Racing no.'

If every move from Eurotech up to WSR has been an improved opportunity, where else is there to go?
Old 13 Jan 2021, 09:27 (Ref:4028596)   #1484
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If every move from Eurotech up to WSR has been an improved opportunity, where else is there to go?
Even further up your own anus?
Old 13 Jan 2021, 09:33 (Ref:4028600)   #1485
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
With manufacturer backing for teams being marginal at best, and only a handful of teams being in such a situation. And, with an increasing number of teams all behind the development of new models, isn't it about time that the BTCC did away with the 'Manufacturers' Championship'?

All builds are outsourced to a greater or lesser extent for fabrication, and the last time that anyone from Aichi, Munich, Dearborn, Minato, Rüsselsheim am Main et. al were interested in the BTCC was before NGTC came along. So why do we still refer to the notion of an entry being a 'Manufacturer' effort?

Would it not make sense to revise the two championships (if we need two) to being a Constructors' and a Customers' championship?

Constructors:
Team Dynamics
WSR
Speedworks
Laser Tools/BMR
HARD.
PMR
Motorbase
Exceler8

Customers:
Ciceley
MB Motorsport
TPC
BTC
Old 13 Jan 2021, 09:42 (Ref:4028637)   #1486
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good to see Sonic joining Cicely, I'm sure he will have no problem adapting to RWD. I expect both cars to be up there plenty of times
Old 13 Jan 2021, 09:46 (Ref:4028640)   #1487
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
TeamCarDriverNotes

Confirmed Entries   
Power MaxedVauxhall AstraPlatoConfirmed in press release
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra???Confirmed in press release
Team DynamicsHonda Civic FK8CammishConfirmed in press release
Team DynamicsHonda Civic FK8Shedden/Neal?Confirmed in press release, Neal talked about options away from racing and trying to get a deal for Flash
Autobrite (HARD./BMR)Cupra LeonGoffConfirmed in press release
Autobrite (HARD./BMR)Cupra LeonGeddieConfirmed in press release
HARD./BMRCupra LeonTaylor-SmithConfirmed in press release
HARD./BMRCupra Leon???Confirmed in press release
Laser Tools (HARD./BMR)Infiniti Q50MoffatConfirmed in press release
Laser Tools (HARD./BMR)Infiniti Q50SuttonConfirmed in press release
Laser Tools (HARD./BMR)Infiniti Q50BoardleyConfirmed in press release
Ciceley MotorsportBMW 330iMorganConfirmed in press release
Ciceley MotorsportBMW 330iChiltonConfirmed in press release
EXCELR8 Trade Price CarsHyundai i30Smiley?Strongly suggest in Bert Taylor social media
EXCELR8 Trade Price CarsHyundai i30ButelConfirmed in press release
EXCELR8 Trade Price Cars (Ginsters?)Hyundai i30Ingram?Confirmed in press release - Ingram rumoured in press
EXCELR8 Trade Price Cars (Ginsters?)Hyundai i30???Confirmed in press release
MB Motorsport accelerated by Blue SquareFord FocusHillConfirmed in press release
MB Motorsport accelerated by Blue SquareFord FocusO.Jackson?Rumours of car/driver connected to Motorbase/Hollamby
Motorbase (AmD)Ford FocusNeate? Confirmed in press release
Motorbase (AmD)Ford FocusOsborne? Confirmed in press release – Osborne family involved with purchase of team
WSRBMW 330iJelley?Reported as considering a move away from Parker
WSRBMW 330iOliphant?Reported in motorsport.com as a confirmed 3-car entry
WSRBMW 330i???Reported in motorsport.com as a confirmed 3-car entry
BTC RacingHonda Civic FK8CookConfirmed in press release
BTC RacingHonda Civic FK8Crees Confirmed in press release
BTC RacingHonda Civic FK8??? Confirmed in press release
SpeedworksToyota CorollaButcher?Confirmed in press article
SpeedworksToyota CorollaSmelt?Confirmed in press article

Likely Entries   
??????RowbottomIn this very thread from the driver!
??????ProctorTalk of ‘deal being done’

Possible Entries   
??????Parfitt JrPublicising an attempt to be on the grid

Entries with doubt   
Team DynamicsHonda Civic FK8???Intention for 3rd car reported in MN - depending on TBL

All entries could be marked '*' due to COVID   
Old 13 Jan 2021, 09:46 (Ref:4028641)   #1488
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
With manufacturer backing for teams being marginal at best, and only a handful of teams being in such a situation. And, with an increasing number of teams all behind the development of new models, isn't it about time that the BTCC did away with the 'Manufacturers' Championship'?
I remember Gow talking about this in the past. His answer was "If it looks like a duck..."

One of his views was that if team members get personal cars on loan from the manufacturer then it's a manufacturer backed team.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 09:57 (Ref:4028651)   #1489
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
One of his views was that if team members get personal cars on loan from the manufacturer then it's a manufacturer backed team.
I understand that - and it's just a though piece on the subject.

But - as soon as a reference to Manufacturer-backed is made, some seem to think that comes with a big wedge of cash from the HQ, a team of engineers in a Motorsports division providing technical support and the fortunes of the BTCC team being discussed in every board meeting.

The reality is that the team get a place-marker on the website (if they are lucky), an occasional retweet from the social media team and a rapidly becoming out of date brochure in a handful of dealers to thumb through while deciding if you want to take out the enhanced service plan.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 10:39 (Ref:4028660)   #1490
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Matt Neal tweeting ******** again today...

Halfords Yuasa Testicle Racing

I suspect the big Honda logo on the roof is a thing of the past...

He's promoting a charity that Yuasa have made a donation to.

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/2021/01/get-ballsy-with-gs-yuasa-and-oddballs-always-check-your-balls-campaign-for-testicular-cancer/
Old 13 Jan 2021, 12:57 (Ref:4028695)   #1491
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting that Chilton is at Cicely - presumably money is no object and yet no ride with WSR
Old 13 Jan 2021, 13:04 (Ref:4028698)   #1492
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Interesting that Chilton is at Cicely - presumably money is no object and yet no ride with WSR
Depends on:
A) - if there were any seats available if/when he approached them.
B) - how much he is willing to fund for a seat.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 13:18 (Ref:4028703)   #1493
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTC driver announcement tomorrow

https://twitter.com/btc_racing/statu...297091072?s=21
Old 13 Jan 2021, 14:32 (Ref:4028726)   #1494
mj088
Racer

mj088 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen a few people suggesting Dan Rowbottom to PMR, Although I can see this, I think Cataclean would be a conflict of interest as they (Power Maxed) already sell a range of additives including a Catalytic Converter Cleaner, - unless Cataclean have been sold to Automotive Brands?
Old 13 Jan 2021, 14:41 (Ref:4028727)   #1495
WestHam92
Rookie

European Union
WestHam92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj088 View Post
I have seen a few people suggesting Dan Rowbottom to PMR, Although I can see this, I think Cataclean would be a conflict of interest as they (Power Maxed) already sell a range of additives including a Catalytic Converter Cleaner, - unless Cataclean have been sold to Automotive Brands?
Looks like Cataclean are either owned by AB or have a partnership with them...

https://automotivebrands.co.uk/keep-...motive-brands/ (April 2018)

"Here, Cataclean Diesel, which is also supplied by Automotive Brands, can be added to the fuel tank to clear away the contaminants in the system, cleaning the internal parts and ensuring your diesel is MOT-ready."

https://automotivebrands.co.uk/distr...brands-update/ (March 2018)

"Automotive Brands is the parent company of Power Maxed and Steel Seal, two brands distributed to the UK aftermarket alongside other well-known brands including Cataclean, Araldite and, most recently, Motul."
Old 13 Jan 2021, 14:48 (Ref:4028729)   #1496
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj088 View Post
Automotive Brands publicity mentions that they supply Cataclean products.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 14:55 (Ref:4028731)   #1497
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millvi View Post
Any rumours knocking about who it's expected to be?

Given that Sonic has found a new home.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 14:56 (Ref:4028732)   #1498
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Which would suggest WSR have their drivers all fixed. I think Oliphant has re-signed and Jelley is strongly rumoured. And didn’t someone on here suggest Turkington would be back if BMW was.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 15:01 (Ref:4028734)   #1499
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarfanLUFC View Post
Any rumours knocking about who it's expected to be?

Given that Sonic has found a new home.
I think it will be Senna Proctor, but that is just a guess.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 15:04 (Ref:4028737)   #1500
WestHam92
Rookie

European Union
WestHam92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's a well-trodden path that AJ walks along (he's not alone in that regard).
Sign a deal - tell the world how this is the best team on the grid.
Leave a team - tell the world you left on good terms.
Get upset with your former team - tell the world you didn't like it there anyway.
Sign a deal - tell the world why you are now in a better team to all of your previous ones.

The official press releases are (usually) full of the typical praise for everyone involved - the social media comments are what would worry me as a potential backer.

AJ:
7/1/15 - 'Joining this team [MG/888] gives me the best chance I will have of winning the championship again'
'it came down to deciding on the package that gave us the best chance of winning the championship'
'it’s a really positive move for me personally and I believe it gives us a great shot at the title again'

28/10/15 - 'You need to have a passion to succeed in the BTCC and we want to be with a team that really wants to win. David and the team at Motorbase have that passion and determination'

18/10/16 - 'I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with Motorbase; they are a fantastic team [...] we split on amicable terms and I wish David [Bartrum] and the team all the best for the future.'

18/12/19 - 'Everyone wants to drive for the best team in the field, so to be repaid by Dick (Bennetts, WSR Team Principle) and BMW with a seat of this type means a lot.'
'I thought that staying with BMW was the only chance I’d be on the BTCC grid next year, but I really didn’t think that was possible, and if I wasn’t going to be with WSR, I didn’t want to be there.'
'I’m here on merit and not because I’ve got a big bag of cash.'

1/7/20 - 'Leaving BMW and WSR happened on good terms.'

12/1/20 - 'Not with Weasel Racing no.'

I didn't miss him last year and was actually quite glad when it was announced that he wouldn't be racing in 2020.

He's that spoilt brat of a child who cries and cries until he gets the best toy and when he eventually gets it, he throws it out of his pram and stamps on it.