Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Aug 2001, 00:29 (Ref:130571)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Will the BTCC 'series' get better in 2002?

I was just wondering, now 2001 is nearing towards its conclusion, what are everyones hopes/predictions for next year?

I'm sure my views are known, but here they are again:

More manufacturers: I can't emphesise how important this is to the BTCC's survivial, I really hope Mr West has got a few car(d)s up his sleave for next year on this matter.

The Support package: Really this needs improving, at least 5 other races other than the 2 BTCT races

Question: if the BTCT field grows hugely over the close season (i'll be praying) will they seperate the BTCP and BTCT classes into seperate races altogether?
Old 15 Aug 2001, 07:16 (Ref:130641)   #2
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've only really got a chance of attracting more manufacturers if they allow the ETC 2002 cars into the series, therefore allowing BMW, Volvo, Alfa and Honda and Seat (in 2003) a chance to run works teams.

And also improve the series by getting rid of the Alfa 147 Vans and any car that is less than 4.2 metres in length.
Old 15 Aug 2001, 10:42 (Ref:130692)   #3
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. The 4.2 m rule must come back. The 147 is cute. The Astra is OK. The Peugeot is too extreme to be taken seriously. But they all must go. The Lexus is the best car there, and the MG will be good too. They are the way of the future...just reduce the wing size and get rid of the wheel arch flares.
Old 15 Aug 2001, 12:25 (Ref:130737)   #4
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the big question is if BMP opt for the ETC rules or not.

The field of BTC cars should increase too as I expect this years cars will go to this years BTP teams, unless they are converted to ETC spec?, but who'd want one of this years pugs?

Why do you all think the 147 is such a van? I think its a well sweet car, and I think JSM where very brave to develop a BTC car, either that or stupid
Old 15 Aug 2001, 15:20 (Ref:130805)   #5
vauxhall
Veteran

vauxhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69

And also improve the series by getting rid of the Alfa 147 Vans and any car that is less than 4.2 metres in length.
SPOT ON!
Old 15 Aug 2001, 18:32 (Ref:130872)   #6
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stop bloody moaning about the smaller cars! JSM have brought more cars to the BTCT grid-would you rather have abgrid full of Astra's next year or lots more variety with more teams developing different cars, like ABG and JSM have!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15 Aug 2001, 18:40 (Ref:130879)   #7
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The more cars the better. Compared to the first couple of rounds, the number of cars is now making the BTCC exciting.
Old 17 Aug 2001, 08:59 (Ref:131569)   #8
vauxhall
Veteran

vauxhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its like domino's

Alfa 147 -> Peugeot 307 -> Ford Focus -> and there gonna be more!

i dont want that

Saloona and Coupe racing look better, jsut take alook at every other main TOURING car series in the world, and NASCAR
Old 17 Aug 2001, 10:29 (Ref:131605)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
You seem to be forgetting that it is the manufacturers that have the final say. It wouldn't bother me to see Ford enter a team of Focus's. After all, people pay large sums on money to watch them rally don't they?

Unless they can attract more marques into the series, it's going to flounder and gradually disappear. At the moment they are attracting crowds on past glory, not on merit!

Spectators will come to see cars that they can identify with, be they Alfa vans or Ford Focus's. That my friends is the name of the game, selling the cars they want to, nothing more.
Old 17 Aug 2001, 11:04 (Ref:131617)   #10
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, for crying out loud!!!

You people moaning about the 'smaller' cars, need to consider this:

There is a basic choice. You can have smaller cars (Focus, 147, Astra etc.) or *no* cars. What is your choice?

The '4.2m minimum length' was reduced this year because the MANUFACTURERS (present and 'pending') WANTED IT REDUCING. For example, Ford might have said, "We will enter in 2002, but only if we can run a Focus". What would you do if you were running TOCA? Say, "No. Go away. We don't need more manufacturers!". Of course not! You would do whatever was required to get them in.

I think it's lovely to have the wide selection of cars, and long may it continue.

There is no reason at all why the small 147/Astra cannot compete equally with the larger IS200/ZS, or the mid-sized 406. To quote an over-used phrase, "Size does not matter!".

Hopefully, we'll see one or two more manufacturer teams next year (currently 3, or 4, depending on how you count 'Egg Sport') and significantly more privateer teams (currently 2!).

I see no reason to alter the 'BTC Touring' technical regulations. They have proved to be wonderful. There is no reason why someone couldn't get a yet-to-be-build ETCC-2002 car, change a few parts to the TOCA-standard-ones, and enter it into the 'BTC Touring' class.

I would however, like to see some changes to the Sporting Regulations, e.g. Bring back one-shot qualifying for the feature, and a random (or reverse championship order) grip for the sprint. Ideally, I'd like the pit stops scrapped (but the manufacturers like them, so they'll stay - I accept that).
Old 17 Aug 2001, 11:16 (Ref:131627)   #11
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's with the demands for the 4.2m rule to come back???

I think it's great to see so many different cars - and if they weren't there, you'd moan and complain about the BTCC even more.

So far this season we have been treated to some superb racing, and I'm sure it will continue into next year.

If you don't want what you get, you'll never be happy.
Old 17 Aug 2001, 12:23 (Ref:131643)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Here here, couldn't have put it better myself!

Have a great weekend everyone, I'm off to Brands Hatch for the weekend. See yer Monday.
Old 17 Aug 2001, 13:27 (Ref:131685)   #13
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Variety is the spice of life....Wouldn't it be great to see the Alfas win a race!! It doesn't matter the size of the car, or really what it looks like, it is the team and the driver that gain the supporters. If the Vauxhalls looked rubbish, it wouldn't stop them winning races. It is similar in production - Rob Collard's tiny Renault Clio is still able to mix it with the Honda Accords!
Old 17 Aug 2001, 13:46 (Ref:131696)   #14
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I love seeing that little Clio of Collards run with the big Accords and 156's it reminds me of a little Jack Russell Terrier.
Old 17 Aug 2001, 17:36 (Ref:131802)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
It's rather like the little Mini Cooper S that mixes it with the Lotus Cortinas etc in the CSCC meetings
Old 17 Aug 2001, 21:54 (Ref:131945)   #16
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not that tecky when it comes to the specs of the cars - I used to be a couple of years ago - but one I thing I do know:

Whatever spec TOCA ends up/sticks to I hope it is something that will eventually pull in the interest and more importantly, the spectators to make it happen and continue. Regardless of the spec, it needs to be right and stick so the reputation of the BTCC can build up once again and have the popularity it has obviously lost. This means that obviously more manufacturers will join (which is undoubtedly needed) but do not forget the independents as well which means being affordable and having enough variety to interest enough teams.
Old 17 Aug 2001, 22:00 (Ref:131949)   #17
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

HTML, and Barwell were both interested in running Astra's next season but got put off by the price. I just want some other cars in the BTC-t class, like the Volvo, SEAT , and BMW, even if they are just privateer's.
Old 18 Aug 2001, 01:32 (Ref:132012)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
On the contrary, I am very much interested in the technical side of the rules.
I have still yet to find a copy of the technical regs for my delight, anyone have any ideas where i can find one?

Although I was a disbeliever at first, I have grown to like the new cars although I still have my reservations.

I would shine more towards:

18" wheels (still 1" less than ST, and the same size wheels WRC cars run on tarmac)

Slightly smaller brakes

Reduce the height of those stupid rear wings, they're way too high, I just cringe when I see them.

Power increase from 270 BHP to 350 BHP (but I suppose with engine development, next years cars will be pushing 280 BHP anyway).

Thats it.
Old 18 Aug 2001, 14:16 (Ref:132121)   #19
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Redshoes, haven't you got all the technical jargon of the specs on your site?
Old 18 Aug 2001, 15:22 (Ref:132154)   #20
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
redshoes,

I wouldn't mind seeing smaller (i.e. less effective) brakes, but I don't think the teams would be too happy about that. They've moaned enough about the 2001-spec. brakes!

Bigger wheels? Yeah, those 19" Super Touring wheels looked GREAT, but smaller wheels mean less traction and longer braking distances, which are good things.

I think the rear wings look WONDERFUL! They really are stunning!

The Triple Eight web site has a fair bit of detail on the new regulations, and I think there is something on tocatour.com

As for the wannabe-privateers moaning about the Astra prices, I think they need to get real. These cars are cheaper than super tourers, aren't they? And they are bound to cost a lot more than a Production car!
Old 18 Aug 2001, 22:54 (Ref:132252)   #21
hunttheshunt
Veteran

Hopefully!;

Vauxhall + Vauxhall sattelite
Pug
MG
Lexus

+ ABG
+ JSM
+Barwell
+ GA-Janspeed
+ GR MSport

+ Others

= Great series for 2002!
Old 19 Aug 2001, 09:44 (Ref:132346)   #22
AndyF
Veteran

Am hoping top Production go into Touring. But it then depends whether any new teams come into the Production class. They have been brilliant this season, and it would be a shame to see it go downhill.
Old 19 Aug 2001, 15:47 (Ref:132510)   #23
hunttheshunt
Veteran

Yeah but Andy, without being nasty to Prod cars, the BTCC needs the new Tourers to succeed rather than Production. Hopefully Production can soon get their own championship, but it is the Tourers who will bring in the Manufacturers, Big drivers, sponsors and crowds.