Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Oct 2003, 01:44 (Ref:766404)   #1
cartpix
Racer

cartpix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fontana Canceled

It just scrolled across the bottom of the screen, on local (Los Angeles) news. BUMMER!!!! I put in for the vacation time, have confirmed press credentials, etc. Don't know when it will be rescheduled.

Jeff
Old 29 Oct 2003, 01:46 (Ref:766405)   #2
cartpix
Racer

OOPS Postponed

DUH, I ment postponed. My bad, sorry.

Jeff
Old 29 Oct 2003, 01:48 (Ref:766406)   #3
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The deathtoll is rising, thousands have lost their homes, and MILLIONS of dollars in property destroyed.

I think the race pales in comparison (although it is a pain to have travel plans changed/rescheduled).
Old 29 Oct 2003, 02:20 (Ref:766423)   #4
cartpix
Racer

You're right, MLM, I'm just disappointed. We've been planning this race, for some time. I just got a new camera, I'm chomping at the bit to use, at a race, & to top it off, this fire was arson. It was looking like it was going to get better & the race would happen. I've been getting more & more excited about the race, the closer it's gotten & now this. At least Fontana is driving distance from us & didn't shell out for air fare.

Jeff
Old 29 Oct 2003, 03:17 (Ref:766443)   #5
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I am in the airfare spent category too. Vacation time after race to be spent running around S. California. Guess I am still headed out there, just making more changes to vacation itinerary. Guess I will be out in the high desert.

It was a good move they postponed. Having been in Florida for the '98 fires, it can get pretty bad, and this seems worse out there with lives lost and a shocking number of houses lost too. It was good to postpone the race because the support people that would be needed to direct traffic, provide medical coverage, etc. for the race, need to be available to help the residents in the area.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 03:19 (Ref:766446)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And they can't get in by plane with the fire as bad as it is.

And to think they were deliberately set ...
Old 29 Oct 2003, 03:44 (Ref:766454)   #7
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can understand what is happening and understand the race being postponed. But I can't believe even as of a few minutes ago there was nothing on CART's website saying it has been postponed. They are really pathetic, people will still be making plans to go there today and will have no knowledge of this. Boy do they not deserve to succeed with these kind of screwups.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 03:52 (Ref:766457)   #8
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a few thoughts:

1.) It would have been logistically impossible for Fontana to hold the race this weekend, with all problems of availability of emergency services and of air transportation. As several freeways have been closed, and because of the low visibility, traffic has been worse than usual in LA the last two weeks (yes, it can get worse than what is usually is...).

2.) A former working mate of mine that lives in Claremont (a town in the Greater LA relatively close to Fontana) drove to the track yesterday. He said that the fires got as close as two miles to the track, but now are over in that area. Several roads at the Fontana foothills are still closed, and there is no power in at least a third of the area (he could not precise if there is or not power available at the track, but he thinks there is not). He also said that the air visibility is pretty bad there.

3.) I will be in LA this weekend, and I will go to the track. If you want to meet there, let me know (we can always stage an anti-Tony George protest; bring your Cr@pwagon gear!).

4.) So far in the season, and with the title decided (and the teams salivating to cut costs), it is quite possible that this postponement will turn into cancellation.

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 29 Oct 2003, 03:57 (Ref:766460)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They can always come back to Surfers Paradise to decide the final race. Cant rain twice in a row can it?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 04:23 (Ref:766466)   #10
sgjb
Racer

It appears at this point that CART isn't convinced this is the right thing to do. They have still to make a statement and by the article below it is quite clear they had no part in the decision.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/autoracing/s...ontent=r10289A
Old 29 Oct 2003, 04:34 (Ref:766469)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART have informed us credentialed types that the race is postponed. That is 100% what we were told.

Quote:
Race has been postponed . . .
Old 29 Oct 2003, 04:47 (Ref:766472)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really have to wonder why CART has not informed the more important paying public yet though... there are fans that are going to lose a lot of money on this, and they should be the first to know. All Cart.com has on it is information about how great street races are...not a great moment for CART IMO.

Interestingly, ISC, which must care more about their paying customers has posted a notice on their website... http://www.californiaspeedway.com
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Oct 2003, 04:54 (Ref:766474)   #13
sgjb
Racer

Jay it is clear what is really happening. ISC is taking an opportunity that is clearly a public concern to all people, And turning it into another way of putting the boots to CART. It is perfect from their standpoint they appear to be putting the greater good of the people first but I question their real motives. I don't disagree with not holding the race, but I wonder if this was a sold out Nascar weekend would this happen.

The articles surfacing appear that there was a very difference of opinion on the race. I can only surmise CART is reviewing prior to making an announcement a couple of things like. Legal angles to put the race back on. Possibly another location.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 05:07 (Ref:766477)   #14
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh well, thems the breaks.

I haven't decided what to do yet. I knew the fire had broken around the area but hadn't even thought about the dispensation of the emergency equipment and security people. With that in the mix it makes complete sense to postpone.

We'll probably end up in Vegas for the Outlaws final, some golf, maybe a little blackjack and surely The Palamino. Anything to get out of here. It's supposed to snow this weekend. Muzza, if we make it all the way there I'll call and join the protest.

In the meantime, I wish everyone in southern California the best with your situation and we'll catch you on the rebound.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 05:24 (Ref:766496)   #15
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://espn.go.com/rpm/cart/2003/1028/1649191.html

Didn't they postpone a NASCAR race at Daytona a few years ago because of raging wildfires? I don't blame ISC one bit for postponing it because they are much closer to the situation than CART, which seems to screw up situations like this more often than not. I can tell you that if I was an emergency crew member scheduled to work the race I would definitely skip it to go help people directly affected by it.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 05:26 (Ref:766499)   #16
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Muzza:

as far as I understand, there are groups of firefighters using the tracks facilities for camping showering planning etc. Maybe if you guys do go down there give them a big thumbsup from everybody
Old 29 Oct 2003, 06:32 (Ref:766529)   #17
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Champweb..........

Rumor: Alternate Venue Ready for CART posted by don on 10-28 21:20

Champweb has it on very good word that CART has an alternate location that they will be racing at next weekend. The place is in the southwest and CART has raced there in the past, but until the location is announced we will withhold that information.

We are unsure if the event will be rescheduled with the NASCAR Winston West Series, or if they will run an event on a separate date.

The Champ Car race was recently postponed at California Speedway due to the wildfires that have been unable to be contained.

"As the fires have continued to spread, several issues were considered for us to arrive at this decision, including the proximity of the fire, the air quality, transportation issues and staffing requirements from a fire safety, medical, security and volunteer standpoint needed to stage an event. Based on the request of state and local officials, we are postponing this weekends events, and we will try to find suitable dates to reschedule them in the future."

If this rumour is true and that's a big IF, then the only circuit that CART has driven at in the SouthWest that I can think of would be Phoenix Raceway.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 07:29 (Ref:766564)   #18
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're going to run 500 miles at Phoenix? Running a 200 mile race would seem like a rip-off to the fans. I want to see a 500 miler.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 07:44 (Ref:766583)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The article Dov quoted mentioned that CART will be still be racing "next weekend". That's only four days away. There's no way they can pull that off.

I agree with evo, in that "I want a 500 miler"!!!

But what's left to decide, other than championship placing? Bourdais has the ROTY locked up, Tracy's got the Vanderbilt, Ford has won the manufacturers...

At any rate, I'm very glad that the Fontana event is (as of now) billed as "postponed" and not "cancelled". But when are the awards ceremonies slated for?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 08:52 (Ref:766632)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I understand that the situation with the fires is extremely bad, I'm still bitterly disappointed. Eurosport was set to show the Fontana race live and I seriously doubt they will put an effort into showing the rescheduled race.

Btw, you can stop thinking about Phoenix as an alternate location - NASCAR is doing a triple-header (NWC, NBS & CTS) there this weekend.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 09:09 (Ref:766646)   #21
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, basicly:
We need to set the closed course speed record for a 500 mile oval race

We need to have one of the most exciting races of the year

and finaly, they named the fire "grand prix" cos of its speed right?

"Grand Prix cancells Oval Race"
Old 29 Oct 2003, 09:19 (Ref:766655)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We defiantely need it to be a 500 mile race. Those events are the jewel in US open-wheel's crown, and we ahvent' ahd one in CART. Even if the race is held elsewhere, it should be on a comparable oval track.

People should put their compaints into whoever the 'environmentalist' types who started the fire deliberately are. Tehy owe a lot of racefans a lot of money.

Strange how not running the final race would probably be seen as worse publicity than the final race putting a guy in a wheelchair for maybe 4 months.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 09:27 (Ref:766664)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I don't understand how a race being postponed/cancelled due to a natural disaster is "bad publicity". Heck, the only non-CART-fans who even know about the race are Californians, and I'm sure that the race is the last thing on thier minds right about now.

Hazza... You seem to be quite interested in speed records. Take solace in the fact that CART does own the record for the quickest 500.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 09:35 (Ref:766671)   #24
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Hazza
Well, basicly:
We need to set the closed course speed record for a 500 mile oval race

We need to have one of the most exciting races of the year

and finaly, they named the fire "grand prix" cos of its speed right?

"Grand Prix cancells Oval Race"

How about just needing to get the fires under control first, or do you want to be the one telling people their house burnt to the ground because firefighters were stuck at a meaningless race so you can talk about breaking a speed record CART already owns?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 09:38 (Ref:766674)   #25
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
People should put their compaints into whoever the 'environmentalist' types who started the fire deliberately are. Tehy owe a lot of racefans a lot of money.
Can someone actually provide a reputable source on that? I have been bombarded with coverage about the fires here and nowhere has the so-called "environmental terrorists" have been mentioned as the definitive suspects. From the news here all I know is that they are as likely suspects as journalists are. :confused: