Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jan 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1501849)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Bahrain postponed?

Due to an untimely death it could be possible that the first GP of the season could be put back to later in the year or even cancelled! http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=26869
Old 15 Jan 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1501856)   #2
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is the case with A1GP, but I do not think that F1 should be effected.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1501858)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltafan
I'm not so sure,periods of mourning in that part of the world can be lengthy and quite intense.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1501859)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Firstly let me a say that this is terrible news.

It sounds like pure scare mongering speculation. It is a different situation to that following the death of Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum. In addition I see little relevance of the 55 days mentioned in that article as the official period of mourning there was 40 days and the A1GP round at Sentul has been rescheduled to a date only 39 days after the death (and the next round 25 days after).

So, at this point, with little information available I can't see it being a problem for the GP. Still it is nice that a juicy story can be written out of something so terrible.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1501860)   #5
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't they have 40days of mourning?! It is a bit close to the date...although i don't know if it will be affected. The poor peeps having to deal with two deaths in such a short space of time.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1501865)   #6
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The death occurred in the first week of January, whil the Gp would be over 2 months later, so that is much more than 40 days.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1501868)   #7
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's just speculation from Pitpass, nothing more. Looks like they're just trying to get in first so if it happens they can say "heard it here first".
Old 15 Jan 2006, 20:33 (Ref:1501870)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
It's just speculation from Pitpass, nothing more. Looks like they're just trying to get in first so if it happens they can say "heard it here first".
My thoughts too,now feeling a little annoyed with myself for starting the thread.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 20:40 (Ref:1501874)   #9
mooneyda
Racer

Ireland
Eire
mooneyda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltafan

This was only teh case with A1GP because Sheikh Maktoum is the founder, chairman and president of A1GP.

He is also the son of the deceased.

For this reason I don't think F1 should be affected. A1GP would not have been affected only for this personal connection.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1501875)   #10
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
Don't they have 40days of mourning?! It is a bit close to the date...although i don't know if it will be affected. The poor peeps having to deal with two deaths in such a short space of time.
It is usually 40 days of official mourning in Muslim countries although I'm told that the Eid which starts on the 31st January could add an additional delay. I'd imagine that this will be clarified as soon as the organisers can manage.

Bahrain and Dubai are entirely separate countries probably around 2000 miles apart so these deaths are not in any way connected (nor that of the Emir of Kuwait who died yesterday).
Old 15 Jan 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1501902)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
One can only presume that when the race goes ahead as planned they will be the first to say "we were wrong"!

Stories like this do them no favour, one time they will be right and people will have heard it first there however due to their continual crying wolf we'll miss it!
Old 15 Jan 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1501909)   #12
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must admit, I did have a look on their site to see if the Turkish Grand Prix might be cancelled due to bird flu, or the British Grand Prix was under threat due to gay weddings, or something. I was mildly disappointed to see that they weren't reporting this!
Old 15 Jan 2006, 21:29 (Ref:1501910)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pitpass' sponsors must've had a hand in this - they need something to attract people to the site. the likelihood of this happening is minimal, and if it did Bernie would never accept it as a decent reason for cancellation or postponement.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1501920)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thinking as business men, it would be hard to cancel a GP that was so much wanted a short time ago. If there's anything to trouble this, they will find a way I'm sure...
Old 15 Jan 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1501921)   #15
mooneyda
Racer

Ireland
Eire
Money talks.. and money will never cancel a GP for this type of reason.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 21:50 (Ref:1501930)   #16
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Pitpass' sponsors must've had a hand in this - they need something to attract people to the site.
Where'd ya get that idea from? Its tabloids that get most of the stories wrong - i've been reading Pitpass for some time and it's almost always been on the button, and certainly not in need of producing stories like this just to get more readers...

Quote:
This was only teh case with A1GP because Sheikh Maktoum is the founder, chairman and president of A1GP.

He is also the son of the deceased.
Actually, i thought it was his uncle not his dad.....

Anyway, all they are doing is reporting the fact and speculating that such a tragic event may have an effect on the GP. The poor kid was only 14 after all....
Old 15 Jan 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1501936)   #17
mooneyda
Racer

Ireland
Eire
[QUOTE=Hepatic]

Actually, i thought it was his uncle not his dad.....

QUOTE]

Correct, my apologies!

Sheikh Maktoum (the nephew taht is.... ) is the man bankrolling A1GP. Therefore its cancelled!!

This is not the case with F1 and too much money will be lost economically so will NOT be the case here!
Old 16 Jan 2006, 00:03 (Ref:1502013)   #18
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is terrible news, but I don't see any reason to speculate that the GP will be cancelled at this time. I'm sure more accurate information in that regard will rear its head soon.

With the death of the Emir of Kuwait passing away today, it certainly has been a bad month for the ruling families of the Middle East.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 08:46 (Ref:1502153)   #19
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It appears (thanks to PitPass) that the son of the Ruler of Barhain has passed away from a car accident.

This is why there are rumours that Barhain may be cancelled/postponed.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1502350)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
er, yes, see the first post of the thread!
Old 16 Jan 2006, 15:04 (Ref:1502422)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Having just been in Dubai it seems there are various stages of mourning. The first few weeks are very severe but then it would appear to ease on a gradual basis. You should not underestimate how seriously they take their mourning!
Old 16 Jan 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1502633)   #22
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
er, yes, see the first post of the thread!
Repeat after me everyone:

"Never join a thread without reading the whole lot first"

Thanks Adam
Old 16 Jan 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1502635)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Or even reading the first post of the thread he he.

I've had a look around and can't find anyone else reporting a possible delay. Pitpass will be able to claim a great scoop if it comes about.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1502640)   #24
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
(I've looked first and I can't see this so )

How long has it been since we've had a round of the World Championship cancelled or postponed? I can't think of one in my "F1 Lifetime" but that's only the last 12 years or so...
Old 16 Jan 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1502665)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Only once has a race been postponed after the teams arrived (Spa '85), but that isn't really what you are asking. The last race I remember being cancelled was in 1997. Jerez was used as a rescheduled race for Estoril that failed an inspection IIRC.