Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 May 2012, 17:19 (Ref:3082722)   #1
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Running wide

Autosport reports that the MSA has agreed that the track limits should be strictly enforced at race meetings, and have instructed all CoCs to adopt a consistent approach.

Second transgression - a waved flag. Third - five second panalty. Fourth - drive through. Fifth - exclusion.

Having lit the blue touch paper, I shall now retire for the time being............
Old 31 May 2012, 17:38 (Ref:3082739)   #2
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good news! It's percolating down from the Bangers n Crash Touring Cars, and needs clamping down on.
Old 31 May 2012, 17:44 (Ref:3082747)   #3
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But as ever, the Devil will be in the detail.... What constitutes a breach of the track limits- two wheels off.... four wheels off? What if a driver is forced off, as Plato did to Collard out of the chicane at Donington? What if a driver makes a genuine mistake, and breaches track limits through incompetence, rather than through seeking to gain an unfair advantage?

Personally, I'm sick and tired of seeing drivers cut out those parts of circuits upon which they did not wish to run, and this started with watching Gerry Marshall driving over and through, rather than around, the chicane at Thruxton in the 70s.

I can't believe just how this latter corner has now been emasculated to enable bad driving and/or outright cheating to escape unpunished; rebuild it with vertical RSJs supporting concrete walls.

The late Tony Lanfranchi said that the way to stop accidents at Paddock Bend at Brands was to insert bloody great horizontal steel spikes in the bank facing outwards towards the circuit. I'm not sure he was wrong.
Old 31 May 2012, 18:15 (Ref:3082762)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
But as ever, the Devil will be in the detail.... What constitutes a breach of the track limits- two wheels off.... four wheels off? What if a driver is forced off, as Plato did to Collard out of the chicane at Donington? What if a driver makes a genuine mistake, and breaches track limits through incompetence, rather than through seeking to gain an unfair advantage?
It's very clearly defined - four wheels off, over the white line. As for "genuine mistakes", no penalties are imposed until the third offence - three genuine mistakes suggests that maybe a driver may be a danger to himself or to other drivers.

I'm not sure why Autosport has apparently only just noticed this - it's been in force from the start of the season!
Old 31 May 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3082766)   #5
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We (flaggies and post chiefs) been asked to report factually all instances of "four wheels off" *but* to include all relevant information. This removes the "should we report that one?" question and makes it clearer for everyone.

This means "four wheels off to driver's right, forced wide avoiding a spinning car" is reported but the extra detail means that is unlikely to result in action. Repeated running wide with no obvious cause other than taking a faster or shorter line however will do (and has).

At the Donington Historic meeting the crew on my post started playing "four wheels off bingo". Sadly they didn't get 66 or 88 to complete the card!
Old 31 May 2012, 19:13 (Ref:3082808)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Ive said it before and I will say it again. If we still had armco this problem would not happen.You dont have runoff with street circuits so drivers keep well within their limits
Old 31 May 2012, 19:23 (Ref:3082813)   #7
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Ive said it before and I will say it again. If we still had armco this problem would not happen.You dont have runoff with street circuits so drivers keep well within their limits
Well said, Sir!
Old 31 May 2012, 19:45 (Ref:3082821)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Horsman View Post
Autosport reports that the MSA has agreed that the track limits should be strictly enforced at race meetings, and have instructed all CoCs to adopt a consistent approach.
Looks like Graham Hill bend last w/end in the pic? In which case we know who is illustrating the point! I guess you were already past the camera, Peter...... I managed to do the same on Sunday but had the excuse of oil from a blown Camaro just in front.....

Do you think JP instructed the new infield at Snetterton to have no run off for that reason? 4 wheels off there and you are very disadvantaged at least. Works for me.

Old 31 May 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3082899)   #9
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ive said it before and I will say it again. If we still had armco this problem would not happen
+1

PS Maybe some police stinger spikes just beyond the kerbing.
Old 31 May 2012, 21:28 (Ref:3082911)   #10
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
. . .
Personally, I'm sick and tired of seeing drivers cut out those parts of circuits upon which they did not wish to run, and this started with watching Gerry Marshall driving over and through, rather than around, the chicane at Thruxton in the 70s.
. . .
Really?

I seem to recall that the Thruxton chicane during most of the 70's was an Armco construction with lorry tyres (concrete filled ?) protecting the facing end.

Or have I got the years wrong?

But I wholly agree with the sentiment of your post.

Regards

Jim
Old 31 May 2012, 21:42 (Ref:3082918)   #11
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track limits

Was it Tony Lanfranchi that said if they put pointed wooden spikes around the outside of Paddock Hill then less people would crash there.
I think this was prior the the changing of the profile of Paddock.
Old 31 May 2012, 21:50 (Ref:3082922)   #12
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
I did not make myself sufficiently clear; my bad.

The Thruxton chicane of the 70s was indeed as you describe. What a shame it isn't now- that would sort the banger drivers in the BTCC out.

Gerry Marshall used to drive over the kerbs (which made for great photos, as it put the inside wheels of the car off the ground), and over the flat concrete areas between the kerb and the Armco. It's corner cutting, and it's cheating; was then, is now.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 06:04 (Ref:3083027)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post

That makes me think of the "Ring",four off? you walk [hopefully] home!. As has been said,this has been in force from the start of this season,not before time!!!
Old 1 Jun 2012, 06:25 (Ref:3083033)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Well said Iain and Clive. totally agree.

I ran right off the road at Snett last time out, total accident and lost me the lead, didn't do it again, drove within the limits and got quicker.

you see it at Spa at the Top of Eu Rouge as well . . .at least until someone totals the car and everyone calms down a bit
Old 1 Jun 2012, 06:38 (Ref:3083037)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I started on the ovals, now you realy dont want to run out of road !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Jun 2012, 07:06 (Ref:3083045)   #16
jamesjtucker
Rookie

England
Burntwood/Lichfield
jamesjtucker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with penalty changing depending on how many times you drive of the track, I can't see how they can police it, would take even more marshals and observers and someone in the office totting up every offense per driver.

Easiest way is to put armco on the edge of the track like on the short ovals and Monaco.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 07:23 (Ref:3083058)   #17
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjtucker View Post
The problem with penalty changing depending on how many times you drive of the track, I can't see how they can police it, would take even more marshals and observers and someone in the office totting up every offense per driver.

Easiest way is to put armco on the edge of the track like on the short ovals and Monaco.
Not popular with the motor bikes
Old 1 Jun 2012, 08:34 (Ref:3083091)   #18
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
Not popular with the motor bikes
Thought Cadwell was a motor bike track first and foremost? Not too many run offs there...

IIRC I read that when Goodwood first became a race circuit, the motor cyclists demanded hazards at the side of the track because it was "too easy" with grass run offs!
Old 1 Jun 2012, 08:54 (Ref:3083100)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Forget the Armco we dont want to go back to that surely, just police if correctly. I watched a CTCRC race at Silverstone the over week from the grandstand above the BRDC and once the marker had been destroyed on the first lap one driver in particular went 4 wheels off virtually every lap throwing dust and debris up and was not penalised and there was a marshals post right opposite so no excuse. Personally I think two wheels off should be a penalty end of story, stay on the tarmac or pay the penalty!
Old 1 Jun 2012, 09:15 (Ref:3083116)   #20
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monaco 2012 3.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	37173
Been waiting for a chance to post this pic. One of my favorates.
Courtesy Jim Haulgrave.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 09:39 (Ref:3083131)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really think of this as a feather in the MSAs cap. It should now [hopefully] encourage people to drive correctly,get proper lap times by NOT cheating,which cutting a corner,is in effect.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 10:06 (Ref:3083144)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Frankly I don't really care, as long as whatever the rule is it is applied. A bit pointless most of us complying, only for the few who trangress to benefit.

Also using the kerb at Surtees on the Indy circuit really sets the car sliding under power just before turning right and that is great fun.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 10:10 (Ref:3083146)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It'd be nice to see it enforced at Lydden, the amount of flint that gets thrown up does nothing but trash bodywork and windscreens!

circuit owners making the green bit grippier than the black bit doesn't exactly help either
Old 1 Jun 2012, 11:27 (Ref:3083182)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Frankly I don't really care, as long as whatever the rule is it is applied. A bit pointless most of us complying, only for the few who trangress to benefit.

Also using the kerb at Surtees on the Indy circuit really sets the car sliding under power just before turning right and that is great fun.
Exactly. Consistent application of the rule, whatever, is all that should be needed. Remember first race meet on new 200 circuit at Snetterton this year, when the odd individual's 'straight lining' of Montreal every lap caused several other cars to suffer expensive radiator and body damage. I would have strung the culprit(s) up by the short and curlies....
Old 1 Jun 2012, 11:47 (Ref:3083195)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Just a thought,the circuit edge,ie,the White line,is inside of all kerbing.