Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 12 Aug 2003, 16:19 (Ref:686342)   #26
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know of people who've run them for a lot longer than that too, Of course after a couple of seasons there going to be going off a bit.
One problem with older cars though is the amount of structural stress being put through the engine and box as it is mounted in the chassis. Some cars were very bad for that design item.
How's my old Jamun then Steve....
What sort of FF are you running JR ? and what series.

Last edited by Tony Harman; 12 Aug 2003 at 16:21.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 17:07 (Ref:686395)   #27
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, I'm building up an old VD for the Classic European series presently in my spare time, taking longer than I thought but have done FF1600 on and off for years both as a driver and working with others etc.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 18:01 (Ref:686454)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Y'know Tony. When I'm old enough I might give Classic Clubmans a look.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 20:36 (Ref:686588)   #29
lotus
Rookie

lotus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
plenty to go on thanks again Tony that day at snett sounds bang on might just take u up on that I will have to go and see can't get my head round all the info, thanks again to all who replied.any dates for races welcomed
Old 13 Aug 2003, 09:35 (Ref:686946)   #30
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony, it was hot and oily. The rad looks too small to me. Did you have overheating probs with it as well ?
I have managed to divert the hot air from the cockpit !

The breather system needs a rethink too.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 09:36 (Ref:686949)   #31
Tony Harman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Y'know Tony. When I'm old enough I might give Classic Clubmans a look.
You're over 18, BARC racing member, NAT B or better licence holder ? that's old enough Peter. Actually not all the Classic Clubmans drivers are the old originals, sometimes it's their sons in the cars
Careful - I might resemble that remark
Old 13 Aug 2003, 10:00 (Ref:686965)   #32
Tony Harman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by spearce
Tony, it was hot and oily. The rad looks too small to me. Did you have overheating probs with it as well ?
I have managed to divert the hot air from the cockpit !

The breather system needs a rethink too.
Hot - yes, Oily - No
Yes we did have problems keeping the temps down on v.hot days but hey were never dangerously high, maybe low 90's, I always thought it was to do with poor nosecone design, Keith W used to swear by those rads, presume you're still using the Benton rad ?
That engine was never oily, what's the problem with the breater system ? out of rocker cover into tank filler neck, odd shaped tank but properly baffled, rather heavy being steel but looked reasonably well made, it was the original one.
Where did you run it ?
Old 13 Aug 2003, 11:34 (Ref:687015)   #33
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony, did D'ton on 2nd Aug. It didn't go that well (Q19/R13) the handling's not too bad now (different springs/dampers) but eng not very strong.
The rad area is ~110 in2, compared with 280 in2 (same core depth) for Lola - which has a better nose shape as well. So seems to me that rad is just too small - it reached ~100 in 5 laps, but agree v hot day.