Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 14 Jun 2004, 17:19 (Ref:1003790)   #26
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not saying they shared information, just that 4 well run R8s, managed between them a best lap of 3.32. I doubt if they could have gone much quicker.

One Zytek managed a 3.33 on there only clear lap on qualifyiers, on a circuit that does not suit the car.

I truly belive the works Zytek and Creation, mayber even JOTA cars will dominate the R8s in the next 3 LMES events.

At least in qualifying, and fastest race laps. Where the Audis have excelled is in their reliability. If the likes of Dyson etc. had, had the reliabilty of the R8s, they would have been defeated more often.

Last edited by JAG; 14 Jun 2004 at 17:22.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 17:26 (Ref:1003796)   #27
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Thoughts -

LMP1 - I enjoyed this Audi Victory more then previous ones. It certainly appeared as though these three teams had equal cars, so to me there was some excitement in that. If anything, there may have been more support to Audi UK, so in that manner, it was nice seeing them defeated. The finish was close, and there was suspense about it to the last half hour or so.

The Audi crews amazed me getting their cars back together, and for Champion to podium after all that.

While the R8 is truly an alltime great car, it is a shame that there hasn't been something else to push them a bit more. Perhaps the Zyteks and Dyson Lola in the sprints?

Hopefully Champion sees fit to run two cars in the ALMS this year.

#88 got the finishing position they deserved, after the punt on the Vette.

What was Bourdais thinking? Apparently punting two cars off the track.

LMP2 - Huge congrats to Intersport Racing and their victory. It is a shame that the LMP2 class has been so hopeless. Between the reliability, and the cost of the Courage chassis, this class has become a bit of a sham.

GTS - Amazing that the Vette's could recover from their episodes to win. Great job by P&M teams to get the cars to the finish. Poor Fellows.

LM comment - do something about those gravel traps please.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 14 Jun 2004 at 17:26.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 18:16 (Ref:1003848)   #28
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
giant purple view obliterating flags
Is that how they're listed in the catologue?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 14 Jun 2004, 19:40 (Ref:1003953)   #29
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by sportscarsRULE
For those who were there: what did the diesel sound like?
No perceptible sound. Maybe infra-sound, at very low frequencies like some big animals do.
Oh no, I'm kidding again.

I imagine the impressive torque which broke the transmission.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 19:54 (Ref:1003969)   #30
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Hauptmann6
Nobody's mentioned the biggest suprise and most notable part of the race...

THE MORGAN FINISHED!!!!
Nice to see all british fans around me in the Lagache granstand waving at TVR and Morgan after the checkered flag !
In France we still don't have worthy GT constructors.
Alpine and Matra has disappeared, Venturi is out and, above all we don't have any engine with more than 6 cylinders !

How I envy you !
Old 14 Jun 2004, 20:10 (Ref:1003981)   #31
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by PascaLM
Nice to see all british fans around me in the Lagache granstand waving at TVR and Morgan after the checkered flag !
In France we still don't have worthy GT constructors.
Alpine and Matra has disappeared, Venturi is out and, above all we don't have any engine with more than 6 cylinders !

How I envy you !
Is Venturi no longer alive?

It's a shame Renault don't uses the Alpine brand.
It would be great if Renault would develop a car like the Renault Spider – PRV V6 2975cc Turbo, see: http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-16-photo.html. Rename it to Renault Alpine and bring it to LM.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 21:01 (Ref:1004034)   #32
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
I have to disagree - first off, the loading is peculiar to that particular corner (and perhaps the Dunlop sweeps before TR). Secondly, this track doesn't have much more by way of corners than a 2.5ish mile GP circuit.

I'd say the suspension failure was specifically related ot the punt.

I agree 1000%...Bourdais gave him a hard shot on that left rear....it had to weaken something structurally within the suspension....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 14 Jun 2004, 21:14 (Ref:1004048)   #33
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Is that how they're listed in the catologue?
probably paul...at least the audi flag wavers are PAID to be a nuisance - those boys were doing it for free! i should come round to their offices this week and wave a 500mm nikon lens in front of their pc screen all day...just to see how they like it.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 21:38 (Ref:1004068)   #34
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
thoughts? well firstly i'd like to thank the surrey tvr owners club for bringing along their giant purple view obliterating flags to the podium ceremony.
you say ...

we had to step left to avoid this. you probably couldn't in the "reserved media park"
Old 14 Jun 2004, 21:44 (Ref:1004072)   #35
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
and not to speak about the 2 TV men always there ...
Old 15 Jun 2004, 08:26 (Ref:1004389)   #36
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
The diesel had a huge belch of very visible black smoke every time it exited tetre rouge and sounded like a food mixer ! It was woefull !!!

What a scrap in GTS !! We managed to get to just before the inside of the first chicane at night . The Ferrari's and Corvette's were the most exciting cars to watch doing down there and the sound was just amazing !!! The Larbre car really looks like its been in the wars . Just imagine what its going to be like next year with Aston Martin and Masaratti jumping on the band wagon .

The Dallara was sweet to watch , a real pleasing shape and sounded magic too . They did a great job again . Shame about Bourdais but he is also a great driver and was pushing and tired too . Silly mistake sure , but genuine too imo . I reckon the Dome has lost its legs , not as good a performance as last year but great to see going around in tandem at 6am at tetre rouge , pushing each other . Shame about all their bad luck . The ACO really need to sort this Cassette gearbox issue out before the next LMES race !!!

Im delighted that Peterson won their class . A lot of people thought that their win last year was due more to the AJR involvement . Im glad they showed their form . I was talking with their PR man "Tom Moore" and he was very helpfull with questions and a general all round nice guy . Hope their back again next year .

More thouhgts to follow

I cant wait for next year !!!

Last edited by The Badger; 15 Jun 2004 at 08:28.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 09:27 (Ref:1004450)   #37
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't wait either!

It was my first time and I learned very much. I missed quite a bit of the actual race because I didn't know how to get from a to b and we had no radio. But I got most of the important info and was almost for the entire duration of the race at the side of the track.

Highlights were the sound of the corvettes wich almost makes up for them beating my favourite ferrari. The lister sounded great as well, and the RfH domes, especially as they approached mulsanne.

It was fabulous to see the sun set and watch the cars race in the dark. The longer the race was under way, the more different it became from what you see on tv. You can see them struggling, the engine sound rougher and there are all kinds of little squeeks that were not there 20 hours before.

Except for the audi's off course, incredibly impressive machine's.

Camping at le mans was a real treat as well. I fell asleep with a big smile on face amid the sound of revving ferrari's and porsches. I never saw so many beatifull cars in one place.

I'll definately come back next year.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 10:57 (Ref:1004533)   #38
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah , its awesome to fall asleep to the sound of a Judd or Mugen . The sunrise was nice as it came up from tetre rouge , and all the drunks asleep in all manner of impossible and sore looking positions !!!
Old 16 Jun 2004, 19:05 (Ref:1006157)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Badger
Yeah , its awesome to fall asleep to the sound of a Judd or Mugen....

Much more awesome to stay awake the whole night and listen to them.......
Old 17 Jun 2004, 06:36 (Ref:1006479)   #40
The Badger
Veteran

Im not as young as I used to be !!! I did grab about 4 hours of kip , I needed it !!!
Old 17 Jun 2004, 11:03 (Ref:1006702)   #41
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
another thought: it's a shame that the national anthems were so late. the last 2 were totally spoiled, as the cars were starting their engines
I miss it ; I really enjoy hearing you brits sing the "God save the Queen"
Old 17 Jun 2004, 11:08 (Ref:1006711)   #42
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bernard b
another thought: it's a shame that the national anthems were so late. the last 2 were totally spoiled, as the cars were starting their engines
I miss it ; I really enjoy hearing you brits sing the "God save the Queen"
especially to the stars and stripes....
Old 17 Jun 2004, 11:24 (Ref:1006747)   #43
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
oh, yes, I almost forgot that one ...
Old 17 Jun 2004, 12:30 (Ref:1006855)   #44
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
terrible...

As Bernard, I love the pre-race event : display of the pilots, trophee, anthems, etc... ACO spoiled the all thing letting a WR (and two others) start their engine BEFORE the end of the anthems : we missed the Star Splangled Banner and the God Save The Queen (we sang the Marseillaise at the end, quite loudly, but the charm was gone)... not tlaking about the moron who makes the english comments on the spot : he introduced the "English Anthem" for the American one ! Ridiculous
Old 17 Jun 2004, 12:47 (Ref:1006879)   #45
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I was amazed by the two Audis that were rebuilt. Especially McNish's car. How they were able to get that car running shows what a clever design the car is.

When was the last time a driver was injured but the car raced on!
Old 17 Jun 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1006891)   #46
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
especially to the stars and stripes....

As a guy who works in music, I can see them singing the lyrics to "God Save the Queen" to the "pseudo-American" tune "My Country Tis of Thee," since we ripped off the melody from the British anthem....

But fitting those words to "Stars & Stripes????" That would be a tough one...

Old 17 Jun 2004, 13:02 (Ref:1006896)   #47
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I just read Fab's post....I was wondering why they would be playing "Stars & Stripes" (a patriotic march by John Philip Sousa) when our anthem is "The Star-Spangled Banner" (by Francis Scott Key...a lawyer by trade who wrote the lyrics to an old British Folk song or Drinking song...can't remember which....but it is a true story....)

Sorry for the "Tangent".....

Old 17 Jun 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1007100)   #48
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
I just read Fab's post....I was wondering why they would be playing "Stars & Stripes" (a patriotic march by John Philip Sousa) when our anthem is "The Star-Spangled Banner" (by Francis Scott Key...a lawyer by trade who wrote the lyrics to an old British Folk song or Drinking song...can't remember which....but it is a true story....)

Sorry for the "Tangent".....
Stars and Stripes FOREVER !

Taaa taaa ta ta ta
Ta ta ta ta ta ta !
Old 17 Jun 2004, 16:20 (Ref:1007125)   #49
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Yes...that is the correct title...guess I was in "Industry Speak"...we shorten it...as we do most titles of works, since a few words from the piece's name make it immediately recognizable to us as we talk...

Sorry I startedthis in the "Music Forum"...I mean "Sportscar" Forum

Old 17 Jun 2004, 16:29 (Ref:1007134)   #50
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Maybe they can enter the cars which Corvette used this year?