Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 17 Apr 2012, 08:53 (Ref:3060772)   #51
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
It is a very nice book.
The problem with the Wimpfen book however is that it does not contain detailed chassis listings, and model specs. Race results have been meticulously examined, but you need to buy a specific annex for those.
The intention was to include that in the book but there was simply so much information that it would have required a second volume for the results listings - there are over 500 pages of results listings (e.g. over 10,000 results!).
But you don't have to buy it, it is available as a pdf for free from the publishers, e-mail them with proof of purchase and they will send you a link to download it.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 09:21 (Ref:3060790)   #52
begbier
Rookie

United Kingdom
begbier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
The intention was to include that in the book but there was simply so much information that it would have required a second volume for the results listings - there are over 500 pages of results listings (e.g. over 10,000 results!).
But you don't have to buy it, it is available as a pdf for free from the publishers, e-mail them with proof of purchase and they will send you a link to download it.
And one advantage of having the results listings as an electronic Appendix is that they can be updated as and when corrections arre identified and new information comes to light.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 16:29 (Ref:3061020)   #53
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Peter,yes, I know all this, I bought my copy at Laguna Seca last year, signed by Moss, Jonas and Bruce McCaw. Jonas advised me how to obtain the annex. My point was that what is missing is a concise overview (with specs) of all models and some insight in the system of chassis numbering, preferably related to the (stllexisiting) cars.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 23:45 (Ref:3206962)   #54
John Lindsay
Rookie

John Lindsay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ELVA MK 2 / 3 100/49 Bill Hinshaw's comments

From Bill Hinshaw
First, I think the chassis # 100/49 was on a serial plate mounted to the firewall. However, I once looked into the Elva Owners' website and it was shown as having been once mine but listed as a Mk2. According to Rod Carveth (deceased some 10 years now but once the Elva distributor for this area and a friend of Carl Haas in Chicago, the U.S. importer) the factory did not receive new Mk3 ID plates in time to put them on the cars and so used surplus Mk 2 plates instead with the new Mk3 numbers stamped in.

The first owner, I believe, was a San Francisco social worker named Dan Abbott, who ran the car very unsuccessfully in 1960. Not the car's fault, either, but Dan did his best to stay out of the way, at least. He sold it to Bob Potter, an SCCA driver and used car trader in Oakland. I found it sitting on a trailer at the back of Bob's lot and traded a salvaged Morgan +4 for it. My first run with it was on Sunday at the Stockton event in early '61, my Porsche entry having expired in the Ladies' Race on Saturday. I had done no prep work at all on the Elva and subsequently found that it overheated quickly and so I retired it.

It wasn't until later in "61 that I got a chance to work on the engine, and found on removal of the cyl. head that two of the liners had sunk into the block. Since I had already entered the car for a race at Cotati I took a shortcut "Joe McGee" fix and cut shims from old coffee can lids and stuck them to the tops of the sunken liners with aluminum spray paint and then laid a head gasket on top of that. Amazingly the car seemed to run quite well as we did tests up & down the alley behind Rod Carveth's shop.

Saturday at Cotati came and the car proved a reasonable contender to season's points-leader John Miller in his Lotus Eleven but the clutch was failing fast. That night a shop owner in Santa Rosa made his place available and a group of friends & I installed a new clutch - an MGTD or A, I think - and on Sunday we had a new winner. Miller and I were both equally amazed. Shortly thereafter the Elva Mk6 was announced and I ordered one through Carveth. By December the Mk3 was sold to a guy from Salt Lake City. I should have kept it.
Bill Hinshaw
Old 23 Dec 2014, 16:32 (Ref:3487423)   #55
Rupertlt1
Racer

Rupertlt1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1962 Bish Hines competed in the Glen Classic; Grand National race in Ontario; Giants Despair Hill Climb at Wilkes Barre, Pa; and Mid-Ohio Race at Mansfield; Queen Catharine Cup at Watkins Glen.

Competition Press, Vol 10-No.7 April 13, 1963:
ELVA Mk III, red, limited use, exceptionally
clean and original, one race on Stage 3 Cli-
max, details, photos available, delivery ar-
ranged, Realistically priced, $2200 firm, Bish
Hines Jr., 550 S. Transit St., Lockport, N.Y.
(716) HF 4-7403

Last edited by Rupertlt1; 23 Dec 2014 at 17:01. Reason: Added info.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3487456)   #56
Rupertlt1
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lindsay View Post
From Bill Hinshaw
First, I think the chassis # 100/49 was on a serial plate mounted to the firewall. However, I once looked into the Elva Owners' website and it was shown as having been once mine but listed as a Mk2. According to Rod Carveth (deceased some 10 years now but once the Elva distributor for this area and a friend of Carl Haas in Chicago, the U.S. importer) the factory did not receive new Mk3 ID plates in time to put them on the cars and so used surplus Mk 2 plates instead with the new Mk3 numbers stamped in.

The first owner, I believe, was a San Francisco social worker named Dan Abbott, who ran the car very unsuccessfully in 1960. Not the car's fault, either, but Dan did his best to stay out of the way, at least. He sold it to Bob Potter, an SCCA driver and used car trader in Oakland. I found it sitting on a trailer at the back of Bob's lot and traded a salvaged Morgan +4 for it. My first run with it was on Sunday at the Stockton event in early '61, my Porsche entry having expired in the Ladies' Race on Saturday. I had done no prep work at all on the Elva and subsequently found that it overheated quickly and so I retired it.

It wasn't until later in "61 that I got a chance to work on the engine, and found on removal of the cyl. head that two of the liners had sunk into the block. Since I had already entered the car for a race at Cotati I took a shortcut "Joe McGee" fix and cut shims from old coffee can lids and stuck them to the tops of the sunken liners with aluminum spray paint and then laid a head gasket on top of that. Amazingly the car seemed to run quite well as we did tests up & down the alley behind Rod Carveth's shop.

Saturday at Cotati came and the car proved a reasonable contender to season's points-leader John Miller in his Lotus Eleven but the clutch was failing fast. That night a shop owner in Santa Rosa made his place available and a group of friends & I installed a new clutch - an MGTD or A, I think - and on Sunday we had a new winner. Miller and I were both equally amazed. Shortly thereafter the Elva Mk6 was announced and I ordered one through Carveth. By December the Mk3 was sold to a guy from Salt Lake City. I should have kept it.
Bill Hinshaw
Competition Press, Vol 10-No.7 April 13, 1963:
ELVA GM 1150-cc Coventry Climax, just rebuilt,
stage 4 and polished. 4 firsts, 5 tries, '62
trailer and spares. $2600 or offer. Inquiries
invited. Sid Horman, 1245 Lake St., Salt Lake
5, Utah. IN 7-4082.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 22:31 (Ref:3487512)   #57
Rupertlt1
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupertlt1 View Post

ELVA Mk III, red, limited use, exceptionally
clean and original, one race on Stage 3 Cli-
max, details, photos available, delivery ar-
ranged, Realistically priced, $2200 firm, Bish
Hines Jr., 550 S. Transit St., Lockport, N.Y.
(716) HF 4-7403
Correction - Ref should be:
Competition Press, Vol 10-No.6 March 30, 1963.
Old 3 Oct 2015, 03:22 (Ref:3578972)   #58
hisbn1
Rookie

hisbn1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elva MK IV/V upright needed

I own MK IV #100-86 and during one of the sessions at the recent Elva reunion in New Jersey the lower strut/arm off of the left rear upright casting sheared at the hub. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who might have a lead on a replacement part.

I have seen photos of the rear suspension of a MK V and it looks like Elva saw fit to reinforce this piece in steel. I wonder if anyone knows or has any thoughts on whether the hub carrier/upright from a MK V might fit a MK IV. If so it would seem that this would be a worthy upgrade.

Thanks in advance--Michael Oritt
michael.oritt (at) gmail.com
Old 3 Mar 2018, 03:46 (Ref:3805381)   #59
MichaelOritt
Rookie

MichaelOritt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elva Mk 3, 4 and 5

What has happened to this forum?
Why have there not been any posts in several years?
(Yes, I know I have not contributed any but that is not my point....)
Old 29 Aug 2018, 15:29 (Ref:3846902)   #60
Jay Laifman
Rookie

United States
So Cal
Jay Laifman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm adding one here - even though I don't have a Mk3-5. We just bought a Mk6 and are trying to track its history. The factory notes say that the first purchaser was "HOUNTINGLY." We suspect this is not a real name. We understand these names were handwritten by someone after hearing the names orally. One current thought is that this was really something like "Hun-Ting Lee." We also note that an early Mk6 (60/06) was sold to a "LEE." So perhaps this is the same person. We're also told that these names could be the actual buyer, or a shop that is getting the car for the buyer, or an employee at the shop.

As an aside, another possibility we explored was "Hunton Ganley" for "Hountingly" the racer from New Zealand, who in 1962 wrecked his Lotus 11, needing a new car, and moved to the UK - so a possibility. However, I actually spoke with Hunton, and it wasn't him.

The reason I'm posting here is that I'm wondering if there might be a "Lee" who purchased an earlier Elva, and I might be able to get more information on him.

I am ordering the book. But my family is always struggling to find a birthday present for me. So they are insisting that they get this for me, but wait until my birthday. So I can't search the race results to see if any show a "Lee" or "Hong-Ting Lee" or something similar. I have searched racingsportscars.com with no luck. The Watkins Glen archives did not have anything either.

Also, one other question. So many of these cars were sold out of Haas in Chicago. Are there any former Haas employees still around? I'd love to ask them if they might remember Hountingly or Lee at their shop.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 01:14 (Ref:3847776)   #61
MichaelOritt
Rookie

It's a bit of a stretch but Lee Chapman Racing in, I believe, Connecticut has been involved with Elvas and other British SR's for years. May want to check with him as if he is not the right Lee he may nevertheless know something about the car.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 01:54 (Ref:3847782)   #62
Jay Laifman
Rookie

United States
So Cal
Thanks! I'm assuming that the Lee has no connection.

But, I appreciate the reference. I've emailed them about other questions I have on tracking down a different Mk6.
Old 6 Sep 2018, 07:19 (Ref:3848448)   #63
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You might give Haas a call. Perhaps they can put you on to someone who worked there at the time.

https://www.haasauto.com/contact_us/
Old 15 Sep 2018, 14:54 (Ref:3850352)   #64
begbier
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbel View Post
Hi henk4,
found nearly the same infos on conceptcarz, classic driver, etc ....
but nothing prévious.

they're should be some pics in the Elva book ( going to order it )

Would like to find more infos on the Fergusson/Baird Elva MkV, 1960 1000 km of the Nurburg

thanks
Hi,

Did you ever discover anything of the early history of 100/94?

The Fergusson/Baird 1960 Nürburgring 1000km entry was actually a Courier, not a MkV sport racer.

Cheers,

Rod
Old 7 Mar 2020, 20:29 (Ref:3962191)   #65
Dodgedoug
Rookie

Dodgedoug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbier View Post
Period ownership and race history now largely pieced together for this early MkIV:

April/June 1959 : Purchased by Peter G Mullard and road registered in the Oxford area with number '180 JFC'

July '69 - Sept '60 : Entered by Mullard in various UK race meetings, including the Members' Meeting at Goodwood in May 1960

May '61 : Advertised for sale in Motorsport magazine, eventually acquired by Bob King (of Royale Racing Cars fame) as a trade-in against a road car

July '61 : Class win and fastest time of the day at Brands Hatch in Sevenoaks & District Sprint meeting

Aug - Oct '61 : Further raced by King at Mallory Park (Nottingham Sports Car Club), Brands Hatch (BRSCC) and Silverstone (BRDC)

Late '61 : Advertised for sale in Autosport and purchased by William T. "Bunny" Ribbs in California

April '62 - June '62 : Raced by Bunny Ribbs at Stockton, Cotati and Laguna Seca before he moved up to a MkVI for 1963. Car was crashed at last race meeting at Laguna Seca.

Late '62 : Sold to Jerry Faught and Dave Ferguson. Repairs appear to have taken some time!

Oct '64 - Mar '69 : Raced by Faught at various meetings in California and by Ferguson in at least one meeting in Canada

Photos exist of the car being raced by each of the first owners but uncertainty over copyright restrictions prevents posting. So, attached is one of the current owner driving it at Donington Park, UK during 2011. It is running the correct 1098cc Coventry Climax FWA engine as used for UK small displacement sports racing in the late 1950s.

Hoping to hear details of more MkIVs that are still racing via this forum.

Rod
I purchased the car from Jerry Faughtaround 1970 and started work to prep for racing with Climax engine but sold the unfinished car a few years later to a person who lived in Fresno California. I couldn’t find all the parts at the time and this person was to contact me but never did. Eventually sold the parts.
Old 20 Sep 2021, 16:38 (Ref:4074832)   #66
begbier
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hi Doug,

Sorry for slow reply. Did you happen to have a name for the person you sold the car to? I believe it was later purchased after being found rotting away in a yard in Mendota.

Cheers,

Rod
Old 20 Sep 2021, 16:46 (Ref:4074834)   #67
Jay Laifman
Rookie

United States
So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
You might give Haas a call. Perhaps they can put you on to someone who worked there at the time.

https://www.haasauto.com/contact_us/
Long time responding. I did contact Haas. They didn't have anything on the "old" stuff anymore.

But we did find the full history now on our car. The original owner was Mr. Pat Hovenden, who raced it in the UK, and then Brian Hegbourne (whose famous F2 racer brother Tony drove the car too), then to Canada and the US for a great and long racing history - and lots of pictures. I've spoken with all the prior owners back to the one who bought it from the first Canadian owner, and have been able to get lots of papers, pictures and info on the car. I have even spoken to Pat's business partner at the time of the Elva, and separately to his racing partner at the time (a noted Lotus historian actually), who both provided great information about the car. It has been a great journey.
Old 1 Jan 2023, 13:16 (Ref:4138666)   #68
MichaelOritt
Rookie

Elva MK IV/86

I may or may not have posted this previously but in any case I am the current owner of ELVA MKIV/86L, having purchased it from Tom Grudovich in approximately 2012. It was powered by an FWE when I bought it and now has an FWB (1460). I race it frequently in eastern-US vintage events with good results.

From what I know the "L" in the serial number refers to "Long" and reportedly there are four additional inches between the firewalls than in non-L cars. The cockpit is certainly roomy but I merely seek verification of this fact (if it is a fact).

I also wish to announce that I have a full set of high-quality MK IV body molds and if any MK IV owner needs replacement body parts please make contact at: michael.oritt@gmail.com. They are NOT available for the building up of a "new" car--only for repairing an existing and original IV.

Best--Michael Oritt
Old 5 Mar 2023, 14:11 (Ref:4145811)   #69
MichaelOritt
Rookie

Somehow or other the Lady Godiva medallion on the valve cover of my FWB became separated from its parent. I have no hope of recovering it and wonder if anyone can point me toward obtaining a replacement. Suitable reward available....

Pease reply to my email below.

Best--Michael Oritt
michael.oritt@gmail.com
Old 8 Aug 2023, 08:15 (Ref:4171841)   #70
begbier
Rookie

United Kingdom