Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Mar 2024, 07:58 (Ref:4202803)   #951
Plantagenet
Rookie

United Kingdom
Plantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been supportive of Russell earlier in the thread - like 2022, he seems to have started the season better than Lewis.
But I do think he has a tendency to crumble under pressure. Alonso seems to have been given the blame for the incident in Australia but am I being unfair in thinking that other drivers would have used the situation to their advantage - i.e. Alonso was a sitting duck on the following straight had Russell not binned it??

As an aside, I think that when Lewis does leave at the end of the year, Mercedes will be glad. I've had colleagues before who only seem to utter negative things about your work and it can really sap morale.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 08:35 (Ref:4202808)   #952
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
There's nothing ordinary about Russell's pace. What he needs is to do is nail the results.

He has always considered himself a proper 'racer' though (isn't Montoya one of his heroes?) and such drvers hardly ever play the percentage game, they will always go for the riskier move.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 09:58 (Ref:4202828)   #953
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantagenet View Post
I've been supportive of Russell earlier in the thread - like 2022, he seems to have started the season better than Lewis.
But I do think he has a tendency to crumble under pressure. Alonso seems to have been given the blame for the incident in Australia but am I being unfair in thinking that other drivers would have used the situation to their advantage - i.e. Alonso was a sitting duck on the following straight had Russell not binned it??
My own view having watched the on board footage is that anyone else could have been caught out in exactly the same way in similar circumstances. Slowing down erratically in a very high speed corner on a street circuit with little run off is very dangerous and not cool.

For me Alonso is the one that comes out of this looking bad not Russell. Perhaps Alonso fans would disagree, but I don't see any complaints from Aston Martin.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 14:19 (Ref:4202874)   #954
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am an Alonso fan but for me a two event ban would have been more appropriate. Before someone gets hurt
Old 26 Mar 2024, 14:37 (Ref:4202880)   #955
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It was a bad mistake from Alonso, no way would Russell have made that mistake on his own. I think Alonso deserved at least a talking to for that
Old Today, 04:48 (Ref:4203080)   #956
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
I am an Alonso fan but for me a two event ban would have been more appropriate. Before someone gets hurt
2 race ban for that?!

No way would that be appropriate.
Old Today, 05:42 (Ref:4203084)   #957
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To be honest at the time I presumed Alonso was being smart, braking a little early and more than he perhaps needed to, to harvest some additional battery power to use later in the lap and to help counter any slipstream, DRS benefit, or performance advantage George might have had opportunity to use. Brake early at a point where he couldnt be passed, be able to power out of the corner earlier plus benefit later in the lap with more battery power at his disposal.

Having said that I didnt hear any mention post incident of the fact Alonso had / might have braked early for those harvesting reasons.
Old Today, 05:53 (Ref:4203085)   #958
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's certainly gonna make future incidents like this come under more scrutiny, which is not what we need. We already have enough racing incidents investigated without things like this being investigated too.
Old Today, 13:00 (Ref:4203148)   #959
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It's certainly gonna make future incidents like this come under more scrutiny, which is not what we need. We already have enough racing incidents investigated without things like this being investigated too.
Taking no action would be much worse. I was horrified watching it from the footage onboard Russell's car, with the audio between him and pits.

I would not call this a normal racing incident.
Old Today, 14:14 (Ref:4203158)   #960
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Can I offer a different perspective that you might agree with?

I tend to think if two cars are in close proximity and one has a serious crash, there is no reason to not "investigate". Investigations should not be a problem. No investigation would mean only a casual (if any) examination of any facts.

Instead, I think you are asking for appropriate punishment which may include no punishment.

Richard
Old Today, 15:25 (Ref:4203167)   #961
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
To be honest at the time I presumed Alonso was being smart, braking a little early and more than he perhaps needed to, to harvest some additional battery power to use later in the lap and to help counter any slipstream, DRS benefit, or performance advantage George might have had opportunity to use. Brake early at a point where he couldnt be passed, be able to power out of the corner earlier plus benefit later in the lap with more battery power at his disposal.

Having said that I didnt hear any mention post incident of the fact Alonso had / might have braked early for those harvesting reasons.
that was my first thought as well...Alonso being tactical in some fashion.

an assertion that seems to be supported by the data the stewards have provided in their explanation.
Old Today, 18:59 (Ref:4203189)   #962
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
that was my first thought as well...Alonso being tactical in some fashion.

an assertion that seems to be supported by the data the stewards have provided in their explanation.
If the thought is that the stewards report supports some type of "harvesting" operation... the problem with that idea is that is contrary to what Alonso is said to have said to the steward. And I don't think the stewards alude to anything like that in their comments.

Quotes from the stewards decision...
Quote:
Alonso explained to the stewards that he intended to approach turn 6 differently, lifting earlier, and with less speed into the corner, to get a better exit.
Quote:
Alonso explained that while his plan was to slow earlier, he got it slightly wrong and had to take extra steps to get back up to speed.
Nowhere is any mention about extra harvesting on the corner entry so as to have ERS power for later. If that was the case he would have more than likely lifted vs. braked. I think you can harvest directly when power is applied as well, but in general my opinion is that what he actually did doesn't match well with what you might do to try to harvest for battery charging.

Richard