Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 30 May 2022, 15:26 (Ref:4112065)   #1
racerxf12004
Rookie

racerxf12004 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shocking amount of advertisements during indy500 telecast

This was the worst year for ads. Green flag laps and going to an advertisment...couldn't believe it. espn showed 3 hours of uninterrupted F1 coverage....
Old 30 May 2022, 15:37 (Ref:4112074)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I watched on Peacock, there were a lot, but seemed normal for US TV. At least for a sport that people might watch! And there was more green flag running than normal. I could tell as we didn’t get incessant moaning about yellow flag rules!

When I say a lot there was a lot of time given to adverts, but they were the same two ads and occasionally a we’ll be right back screen when on Peacock.

I’d be craving to see an advert for Grey Men or Subway if I’d watched F1 Must be that not enough people watch it to justify adverts. Or do F1 stipulate no ads if you buy the feed?
Old 30 May 2022, 15:46 (Ref:4112078)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
F1 is believed not to change ESPN any fees to show races in the United States.

American TV channels show tons of ads on NFL, NBA and MLB too.
Old 30 May 2022, 15:48 (Ref:4112081)   #4
racerxf12004
Rookie

racerxf12004 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After the race was over they only interviewed Ericson and O'ward. Forced to go to Peacock to listen to other interviews. I like to see the other drivers congratulate the winner and an interview with Ganassi would have been nice...They have done this with the other indy races this year. Sucks!
Old 7 Jun 2022, 09:06 (Ref:4113383)   #5
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I watched it on Stan Sport in Australia. Not a single advertisement for the entire telecast.
Old 7 Jun 2022, 12:14 (Ref:4113397)   #6
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I missed the part where you have volunteered to pay full cost of a OTA broadcast to be commercial free?? You do understand the money made there pays directly for your ability to watch. See why other races are on USA and post race is checkers, pulling in to Victory Lane and we'll see you on Peacock.

F1 has a MASSIVELY reduced rate on ESPN due to Liberty funding a portion and previously Mother's paying a decent chunk to be the exclusive partner. Oh, and they still interrupt practice and session breaks in quali with ads. That's how these things are funded unless you want them to be streamed by Indy and you pay full freight for the costs.

Oh, and you would actually be incorrect as NBC airs far fewer commercials than ABC had previously and far more side by side for US broadcast so maybe bring facts next time and not the whinging of a petulant child because a MILLION fewer people cared to watch this year than previous years
Old 7 Jun 2022, 12:45 (Ref:4113399)   #7
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's not shocking how many commercials there are anymore, but it sure is annoying as hell, especially with rolling billboards on the track; surely the networks could figure something out??

Not that I've ever liked comparing 'stick and ball' sports, but motor racing is the only sport that takes breaks while action is happening. Again, if there is a need for paid adverts, surely 'marketing professionals' could figure something out.
Old 7 Jun 2022, 12:50 (Ref:4113401)   #8
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
It's not shocking how many commercials there are anymore, but it sure is annoying as hell, especially with rolling billboards on the track; surely the networks could figure something out??

Not that I've ever liked comparing 'stick and ball' sports, but motor racing is the only sport that takes breaks while action is happening. Again, if there is a need for paid adverts, surely 'marketing professionals' could figure something out.
They did, it's called side by side and ESPN's NASCAR Nonstop so there's that
Old 7 Jun 2022, 12:54 (Ref:4113403)   #9
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not that I've ever liked comparing 'stick and ball' sports, but motor racing is the only sport that takes breaks while action is happening.
Other than motor sport - are there many other sports that have periods in excess of 45-50 minutes without a stop in play?

The only examples I can think of at present are long distance athletic events (marathons, cycling, triathlons). These also have commercial breaks during the action, and then 'catch-up' when the coverage resumes.
Old 7 Jun 2022, 14:02 (Ref:4113408)   #10
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
They did, it's called side by side and ESPN's NASCAR Nonstop so there's that
Right. I'm blind and getting really tired of extremely small fonts on apps and nine screens in one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Other than motor sport - are there many other sports that have periods in excess of 45-50 minutes without a stop in play?

The only examples I can think of at present are long distance athletic events (marathons, cycling, triathlons). These also have commercial breaks during the action, and then 'catch-up' when the coverage resumes.
Those are all 'racing', so maybe it's centered on that but again, I don't like comparing because it does seem to apples and oranges, with stick and ball having 'natural' stoppage in play.
Old 7 Jun 2022, 14:13 (Ref:4113409)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Those are all 'racing', so maybe it's centered on that but again, I don't like comparing because it does seem to apples and oranges, with stick and ball having 'natural' stoppage in play.
I appreciate the desire to not compare with stick and ball sports.

I wonder if there is anything to be learnt from cycling though?
Coverage of those events switches between groups regularly, and has been known to show the coverage 'as live', despite there being a delay in broadcast (golf also does similar).
If motor sport adopted this approach (particularly for endurance races) would the breaks be more palatable?
Old 7 Jun 2022, 18:48 (Ref:4113459)   #12
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I appreciate the desire to not compare with stick and ball sports.

I wonder if there is anything to be learnt from cycling though?
Coverage of those events switches between groups regularly, and has been known to show the coverage 'as live', despite there being a delay in broadcast (golf also does similar).
If motor sport adopted this approach (particularly for endurance races) would the breaks be more palatable?
My idea? Something like this....

'This 30 minutes of commercial free coverage is brought to you by Budweiser. Budweiser. The King of Beers'. And scene

They did something like that in the early 90s when US TV markets just couldn't figure out how to bring the 90 World Cup final to an American audience without interrupting play every 10 mins...that or work out deals with car owners and TV sponsors to slap all sorts of adverts on the cars. There's already a 'Camping World' or whatever onboard cam.

Not sure on the delayed casting; I'm already about 45 seconds behind most timing and scoring with my streaming services, but not a bad idea.

I'm mostly the type is not persuaded at all by ads. Not. One. Bit! So the bombardment of Seth Curry and Derek Jeter hawking shitty submarine sandwiches or Flo trying to get me to buy crap car insurance from her simply do not work on me so they're all extra irritating. However, I think repetitive nature of them in a single broadcast is how they work on the gen pop....

Whadda I know other than I like to complain about ad breaks?
Old 7 Jun 2022, 18:58 (Ref:4113460)   #13
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
My idea? Something like this....

'This 30 minutes of commercial free coverage is brought to you by Budweiser. Budweiser. The King of Beers'. And scene

They did something like that in the early 90s when US TV markets just couldn't figure out how to bring the 90 World Cup final to an American audience without interrupting play every 10 mins...

Not sure on the delayed casting; I'm already about 45 seconds behind most timing and scoring with my streaming services, but not a bad idea.

I'm mostly the type is not persuaded at all by ads. Not. One. Bit! So the bombardment of Seth Curry and Derek Jeter hawking shitty submarine sandwiches or Flo trying to get me to buy crap car insurance from her simply do not work on me so they're all extra irritating. However, I think repetitive nature of them in a single broadcast is how they work on the gen pop....

Whadda I know other than I like to complain about ad breaks?
I generally am not persuaded by ads because they use Curry, Chuck, and the dbag Yank to sell terrible garbage food and screw their franchisees and then sue them. I'm more likely to NOT buy if you bombard me.

EXCEPTIONS are huge though. I bought Patron when Ed brought them over with ESM, haven't lately but that's cause I have too much bourbon and no shelf space. I buy from O'Reilly cause a fella does but I usually went O'Reilly or Napa previously so no big change there. When I bought new car care stuff I bought Mothers, I did before but they paid for F1, yes a massively reduced rate but they stepped up, to be commercial free. And I did end up getting a survey from Advance (O'Reilly was out) and did reply sponsoring F1 WITHOUT ads was important and mentioned without ad interruption multiple times.

But then I'm weird and HATE the baseball and NASCAR "this XXXXXX brought to you by YYYYYYY." Last lap, mid 4th recap, etc all have become branded BUT didn't replace other ad time. And MLB is adding a single uni patch for 2023 so it continues, but they aren't making prices cheaper. It's just going to continue until they hit the point no one watches, and then the sponsors will all leave and we'll be back to naked cars and 15 car fields so the happy medium doesn't really exist any more outside of historic racing and rich guys paying to have fun.

And remember this is the same system that has added ads to syndicated TV shows. Friends and Seinfeld apparently both have added Coke cans in episodes, others have added props and dialogue not in the original. USA used to have sponsored TV shows, the writers HATED it and would have fun with it in shows like Burn Notice where they did the required promo comments VERY tongue in cheek and no one does that better than Bruce Campbell.
Old 7 Jun 2022, 20:13 (Ref:4113472)   #14
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I generally am not persuaded by ads because they use Curry, Chuck, and the dbag Yank to sell terrible garbage food and screw their franchisees and then sue them. I'm more likely to NOT buy if you bombard me.

EXCEPTIONS are huge though. I bought Patron when Ed brought them over with ESM, haven't lately but that's cause I have too much bourbon and no shelf space. I buy from O'Reilly cause a fella does but I usually went O'Reilly or Napa previously so no big change there. When I bought new car care stuff I bought Mothers, I did before but they paid for F1, yes a massively reduced rate but they stepped up, to be commercial free. And I did end up getting a survey from Advance (O'Reilly was out) and did reply sponsoring F1 WITHOUT ads was important and mentioned without ad interruption multiple times.

But then I'm weird and HATE the baseball and NASCAR "this XXXXXX brought to you by YYYYYYY." Last lap, mid 4th recap, etc all have become branded BUT didn't replace other ad time. And MLB is adding a single uni patch for 2023 so it continues, but they aren't making prices cheaper. It's just going to continue until they hit the point no one watches, and then the sponsors will all leave and we'll be back to naked cars and 15 car fields so the happy medium doesn't really exist any more outside of historic racing and rich guys paying to have fun.

And remember this is the same system that has added ads to syndicated TV shows. Friends and Seinfeld apparently both have added Coke cans in episodes, others have added props and dialogue not in the original. USA used to have sponsored TV shows, the writers HATED it and would have fun with it in shows like Burn Notice where they did the required promo comments VERY tongue in cheek and no one does that better than Bruce Campbell.
Exactly on the highlighted point. It's MORE ads and not replacing them.

I realize that the sponsors are necessary for the sport and without them, it likely wouldn't exist or be as it is currently, but there has to be a balance, or it at least a tipping point, to your other point.

Lots of points here.
Old 8 Jun 2022, 15:35 (Ref:4113578)   #15
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If soccer and have 45-minutes blocks, then surely motorsport also can.
Old 8 Jun 2022, 18:57 (Ref:4113626)   #16
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
FARRRRR more money is spent to sponsor that condition than is spent on motorsport as a whole outside of F1 and NASCAR. If you think that no commercial break doesn't cost money, you're crazy. They've just found they can charge enough to make it work with ads, Indy can't do that. I'll bet each Premier League team brings in more with pitch level ads alone than Indy does as a league.
Old 10 Jun 2022, 14:32 (Ref:4114000)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I believe some comments/posts were removed, but to address one of them in that I prefer to do everything I can to catch sporting events live and have recently only put real effort into events I truly want to see on replay. Something about live TV still is an appeal, while setting aside 2 hours in the evening to watch a replay feels like a half assed attempt at being entertained while fast forwarding through the ads
Old 10 Jun 2022, 16:30 (Ref:4114047)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You are addressing the relevant part of the post and ignoring the claptrap!