Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Aug 2023, 01:16 (Ref:4172407)   #351
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Customer cars?No thanks.Wrong series.
Yeah, what did that Stirling Moss in the Rob Walker customer Lotus ever do?
Old 13 Aug 2023, 07:35 (Ref:4172428)   #352
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Yeah, what did that Stirling Moss in the Rob Walker customer Lotus ever do?
Beat the otherwise dominant Ferraris. Now if only that could happen now…
Old 13 Aug 2023, 08:57 (Ref:4172440)   #353
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would advocate significantly bigger grids, more like the way football leagues are open to many teams and those that perform best stay in the top league (Formula 1). Bigger grids means more racing.

The closed-shop approach is concerning. Teams cannot be trusted to operate in the best interests of overall sporting competition. At times, we have criticised the rule makers for their application of rules, but teams do not collectively represent the interests of a series that is more open than the status quo. The unknown presents potential competition that they don't welcome. Of course, Mercedes can't very well say they want to kick Haas or Red Bull out, because that would leave a sour taste, but it when it comes to a team that doesn't exist yet in the series, they have a way of making their case look stronger.

In reality, it should not at all be up to them.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 08:05 (Ref:4172670)   #354
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, I have had enough of the elitist attitude of most of the teams in the sport and how they are trying to prevent others from coming in. The FIA should be the ones to decide who comes in and if the current teams don’t like it, that’s their problem. It shouldn’t be up to them
Old 14 Aug 2023, 08:16 (Ref:4172671)   #355
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
The FIA sold out for their bag of gold a long, long time ago.

Out of interest, in what other sports can you just rock up and join the top table when you choose to do so?
Old 14 Aug 2023, 08:31 (Ref:4172673)   #356
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Athletics is the only sport I can think of where that could be achieved reasonably easily but even that would involve competing in local then regional then national events before becoming an international elite athlete.

Good point made by Peebee.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 08:53 (Ref:4172676)   #357
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
The closed-shop approach is concerning. Teams cannot be trusted to operate in the best interests of overall sporting competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Out of interest, in what other sports can you just rock up and join the top table when you choose to do so?
In comparison to other sports - I see similarities with the current set up and the franchise model of some US Sports.

If we take examples there - Inter Miami springs to mind. Established in 2018, the team started playing in the MLS from 2020 as part of a league expansion.

I guess in terms of F1, perhaps we are reaching a situation (particularly when it comes to venues and teams) where a conference style approach would be an option? One series running in Europe, the other running in the Americas, Asia etc. Then the top teams from each conference coming together for a 3-race series in the Arab States?
Old 14 Aug 2023, 09:05 (Ref:4172680)   #358
S griffin
Veteran

I don’t think we need any series for proposed teams need to compete in. Haas didn’t need it, they just proved they were ready. I am sure Andretti are proving they are ready too, they just need an entry
Old 14 Aug 2023, 09:06 (Ref:4172681)   #359
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
In comparison to other sports - I see similarities with the current set up and the franchise model of some US Sports.

If we take examples there - Inter Miami springs to mind. Established in 2018, the team started playing in the MLS from 2020 as part of a league expansion.

I guess in terms of F1, perhaps we are reaching a situation (particularly when it comes to venues and teams) where a conference style approach would be an option? One series running in Europe, the other running in the Americas, Asia etc. Then the top teams from each conference coming together for a 3-race series in the Arab States?

The problem with a conference style approach is, the vast majority of the teams are based in Europe.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 09:23 (Ref:4172688)   #360
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The problem with a conference style approach is, the vast majority of the teams are based in Europe.

I don’t think there’s a single team that’s not in Europe. Only 3 of them don’t have an English base. So yes the idea is unworkable
Old 14 Aug 2023, 09:30 (Ref:4172691)   #361
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Only 3 of them don’t have an English base.
Ferrari and Sauber - who are you imagining is the third?
Old 14 Aug 2023, 09:43 (Ref:4172694)   #362
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Currently - yes. I appreciate we are still a long way from that being any potential. It's more of a follow-on point to the franchise model that seems to be the pseudo situation for F1 presently.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 09:45 (Ref:4172695)   #363
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Haas is split, but their European operation is in England.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 09:48 (Ref:4172696)   #364
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Haas is split, but their European operation is in England.
That's right. So they have an English base, just like Alpha Tauri do.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 10:32 (Ref:4172704)   #365
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:

I’m not imagining anything. Alpha Tauri have been traditionally based in Italy, however I didn’t know if they had moved yet
Old 14 Aug 2023, 11:27 (Ref:4172707)   #366
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I’m not imagining anything. Alpha Tauri have been traditionally based in Italy, however I didn’t know if they had moved yet
You are. Alpha Tauri have had a base in Bicester for a long time now.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 11:33 (Ref:4172708)   #367
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This will clear things up.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/red-b...-campus-share/
Old 14 Aug 2023, 11:36 (Ref:4172709)   #368
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Thanks - good link.

And for those not wanting to read the full article:

"The fact it is headquartered in Italy while Red Bull has a massive campus in the UK has also been under review, and AlphaTauri’s UK presence will change as a result. AlphaTauri’s aerodynamics team is currently based in Bicester but the lease on that facility is set to expire, and it will be relocated to Milton Keynes by the middle of next year. All design elements including on the mechanical side will also be based there, as the 2024 AlphaTauri will then take as many parts from Red Bull as possible, with production and the race team remaining at Faenza."

So I would suggest S Griffin is in the main correct here - Alpha Tauri is currently based in Faenza, with a team in Bicester (but most would not consider it a base - unlike Haas).
Old 14 Aug 2023, 11:38 (Ref:4172711)   #369
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
So I would suggest S Griffin is in the main correct here - Alpha Tauri is currently based in Faenza, with a team in Bicester (but most would not consider it a base - unlike Haas).
LOL, you might want to advise the staff who work there that it's not a base, despite it having been the design office and wind tunnel for a long time now.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 11:48 (Ref:4172716)   #370
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
As the article says, it's all going to Milton Keynes so it's not really worth quibbling about.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 11:57 (Ref:4172720)   #371
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
As the article says, it's all going to Milton Keynes so it's not really worth quibbling about.
You're right!

Note to self. I shouldn't allow myself to get annoyed with doubtless well-meaning people who write inaccurate and plain wrong posts pretty much daily.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 12:12 (Ref:4172722)   #372
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
You're right!

Note to self. I shouldn't allow myself to get annoyed with doubtless well-meaning people who write inaccurate and plain wrong posts pretty much daily.
My wife often comments about the ability of people within organisations (usually businesses like shops or pubs/restaurants) "sucking all of the goodness out of those around them!"
I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't make this personal, but comments like this make me feel the same...
Old 14 Aug 2023, 12:20 (Ref:4172725)   #373
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
My wife often comments about the ability of people within organisations (usually businesses like shops or pubs/restaurants) "sucking all of the goodness out of those around them!"
I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't make this personal, but comments like this make me feel the same...
Maybe so, but I do think we should pull up those who try and speak with detailed authority, from a position of actually very little knowledge, which others might then believe to their detriment.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 14:09 (Ref:4172741)   #374
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Except most of the time it is what they've heard and no statement of 100% accuracy. The sole poster saying anything with authority should mind the glass before something breaks
Old 14 Aug 2023, 14:44 (Ref:4172750)   #375
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sometimes with some posts, I really wish we had a facepalm emoji to use. But while the list of supported emoji is decently large, it has some odd ones. So maybe I just repurpose the ferret emoji for facepalms. I am not sure what social situation would be appropriate for the "ferret emoji"

Quote:

Isn't a note to self.. a note for yourself. Why comment here? It's like when people get upset and leave a forum they announce it. With the usual response that the forum is not a gate at the airport. No need to announce your departure. I think same applies here.

Richard