Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Apr 2003, 15:38 (Ref:569137)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Press release from Team Varta Racing

Have been asked to post this:

Quote:
Press release Team Varta Racing:

The Million Pound Drivers

Team Varta Racing, competitors in this years Green Flag MSA British Touring car Championship, are pleased to announce that the team are to be the recipients of a combined sponsorship/scholarship award of £1,000,000. The deal has been awarded to the team and it's drivers by Varta consumer batteries and is thought to be an entirely unique type of arrangement. Under the agreement, which was brokered by John Batchelor the team owner and supported by Richard West, the Series Director, Team Varta racing will receive both sponsorship funding in excess of £500, 000 and an additional scholarship fund of a similar amount which has been awarded to the drivers and will be specifically targeted at assisting Tom Boardman and Jim Edwards future development in motorsport.

Commenting for Varta consumer batteries, Ayrton Hossin the UK and Ireland sales director said " We are entering the third year of our relationship with both John Batchelor's team and the Green Flag MSA British Touring Car Championship, and thus far we have had a terrific return on our investment in the team and the series. 2003 marks a significant increase in our involvement. Apart from the major returns that we have achieved in brand exposure and increased sales through our involvement, we see this as an investment in the future direction of British Motorsport.

Our contribution is divided equally between the drivers, with particular emphasis being placed on their future careers. In the case of Tom Boardman, we have recognised an exciting young talent who needs nurturing in the stable environs of a well funded team. As far as Jim is concerned, we felt that his efforts last year were truly awesome in light of the machinery available. This mixture of raw talent and maturity seems to be the perfect combination, and we expect the team to be in the thick of the action all season and on into 2004".

For the team John Batchelor said, " I would like to thank everyone at Varta consumer batteries for placing their confidence in the team, in such a ground breaking and significant way. They seem to understand our philosophy that placing stickers on racing cars is only a very small part of what real sponsorship is about. We have always sought ways of working with our sponsors and the Championship to ensure that, not only do we provide a superb marketing platform, but that we also endeavour to ensure that they get real cash returns on their investment through the medium of networking with other companies who wish to become involved with the Championship . I should also like to take this opportunity to thank Richard West, the Championship Administrator who has given so freely of his time throughout the closed season to ensure that this and other commercial arrangements have been possible.

Richard West commented: "Everyone involved in the Championship and TOCA Tour is constantly striving to attract new initiatives and investment, and with Varta's announcement, this adds further credibility to the continued growth and attraction of the BTCC. I welcome their extended commitment to the Championship and commend them on investing in their joint sponsorship and scholarship scheme.

The team will be entering two Peugeot 307's in the Production class of this years championship with the possibility of an expansion to four cars during the season.
For more information on the team visit www.teamvarta.com
Old 14 Apr 2003, 19:12 (Ref:569345)   #2
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2- cars so far nominated
1-Peug 107 for Boardman
1-Honda Accord for Jim
So where does the second 307 come in, and who would drive a possible 4th car?
Old 14 Apr 2003, 19:55 (Ref:569373)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Second Pug is for Jim. He'll start the seasin with the Accord and hopefully have the new car in time for Thruxton.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 20:07 (Ref:569388)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Nigel is correct. The second 307 is going into build as soon as VLR have completed their own cars. Both 307s should be on the grid for rounds 5&6 onwards. With a bit of luck there will be additional sponsorship forthcoming for the team to run an additional Peugeot for Hyla and possibilities of an additional drive in the Honda too.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 08:07 (Ref:569859)   #5
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More explained at:

http://www.tocatour.co.uk

Great news! Jim Jnr, I feel, will be Production champion this year, provided (and I have no doubt it will be) the 307 is quick enough to match the Civics and the BMW. He is a driver with terrific natural race craft and would be easily capable of holding his own among the Touring class field.

Congratulations and many thanks to Varta and John Batchelor are in order here.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 12:43 (Ref:570056)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That sounds one helluva deal, how does he do it? To get a sponsor to commit to that kind of cash takes some doing, my hat is firmly taken off....!!!!
Old 15 Apr 2003, 16:15 (Ref:570237)   #7
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He must buy a lot of batteries!
Old 15 Apr 2003, 21:44 (Ref:570549)   #8
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame he couldn't get them to sponsor York City...
Old 15 Apr 2003, 22:44 (Ref:570605)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ok let me get this - £1 million pounds worth of sponsorhip - half for the sponsorship of this years cars - and the other half to go to a scholarship to help with Jim's and Tom's careers - won't that just end up becoming sponsorship money at the end?

Other than that it's excellent to see a company prepared to invest that in the BTCC!
Old 16 Apr 2003, 09:55 (Ref:570916)   #10
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds too good to be true though. Jim and Tom must think it's christmas. Good luck to them though although everything I have seen from JBatchelor so far has been very slow cars. Hope they have some top guys to prepare a top car for that money. They have a great driver in Jim already. Varta must make good batteries...
Old 16 Apr 2003, 10:00 (Ref:570922)   #11
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
Good luck to them though although everything I have seen from JBatchelor so far has been very slow cars. Hope they have some top guys to prepare a top car for that money.
Hopefully a new VLR-built 307 should be a much better proposition than the secondhand Integras and Accords they've run so far
Old 16 Apr 2003, 10:18 (Ref:570943)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was faster than last years pole time set at Silverstone in testing late last year, in the hands of Tim Harvey.

In saying that though it was a Macau race spec car, but I doubt there's much difference in it.