Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 15 Jan 2006, 16:50 (Ref:1501740)   #1
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Andros Trophy

Anybody been watching the Andros Trophy... Good to see someone racing the BMW 1-series, although it was loosing to a Kia Rio!!!

Could Ice Racing be one of the hardest racing disciplines in the world.. it's nuts! in some places the back-end was literally the first thing make it round the corners!

P.S. In the womens trophy there are some pretty good looking gals!
Old 15 Jan 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1501999)   #2
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski
Anybody been watching the Andros Trophy... Good to see someone racing the BMW 1-series, although it was loosing to a Kia Rio!!!

Could Ice Racing be one of the hardest racing disciplines in the world.. it's nuts! in some places the back-end was literally the first thing make it round the corners!
The hardest part of Ice Racing is beating Yvan Muller
I don't know if it's really the hardest sport. The sliding looks spectacular but it is all perfectly controlled. I watched quite some races this year but nothing really happened. Also there are drivers from every discipline and they all drive well almost instantly. The cars look absolutely stunning, but the racing is boring most of the time. It probably has to do with the points system. 60 points max for qualifying and only 20 points max for the race. There are not so many overtaking moves, it's mostly processions. The final round of the Trophy is helt in the Stade de France, which looks quite sensational filled with snow!
From my memory the Andros thropy used to be better the first seasons with the Mercedes team, and later with the Snobeck Astras and the likes. It looks way too slick now for my liking.

Quote:
P.S. In the womens trophy there are some pretty good looking gals!
I second that !!!
Old 23 Jan 2006, 12:18 (Ref:1507270)   #3
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
matski, what channel do you get it on?

I am thinking of trying to get down to Paris for the final event. I understand that it is in a stadium. Do they truck in snow just for the event?
Old 23 Jan 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1507326)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The 'super final' is at the Stade de France in March, although it's not a points scoring event. The track is laid using what looks like paving slabs but actually made of blocks of ice. There's a great atmosphere inside the stadium, it's well worth a visit.

All the commentary is obviously in French so you may not understand what's going on, but to be honest I'm not sure most of the locals had a clue either. As long as you can remember the phases 'hot dog frites' and 'les pom-pom girls' you shouldn't go far wrong.
Old 23 Jan 2006, 14:00 (Ref:1507343)   #5
zac510
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
The 'super final' is at the Stade de France in March, although it's not a points scoring event. The track is laid using what looks like paving slabs but actually made of blocks of ice. There's a great atmosphere inside the stadium, it's well worth a visit.

All the commentary is obviously in French so you may not understand what's going on, but to be honest I'm not sure most of the locals had a clue either. As long as you can remember the phases 'hot dog frites' and 'les pom-pom girls' you shouldn't go far wrong.
Thanks - it's a lot closer to London than the mountains too!
Old 23 Jan 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1507376)   #6
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
MotorsTV have been showing it.. coverage is okay, but it's mostly highlights.
Old 23 Jan 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1507421)   #7
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if all goes to plan i should be in paris for the final and as it is the day after paddy's day it'll be fun followed by and then
Old 24 Jan 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1507959)   #8
zac510
Veteran

It is a Saturday, that's great.
FOF, is there a smiley for work on Monday morning
Old 24 Jan 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1508070)   #9
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
been following the Andros Trophy for almost 10 years now . with a few breaks . starting with the Ope Tigras and all . and yes Yvan Muller is just the King of Ice Racing . he's so cool while driving. with one hand on the steering wheel and another on the gear change lever ..

his battles with Prost this season were also great ..

Ciao Marco
Old 24 Jan 2006, 17:20 (Ref:1508196)   #10
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone still remember if they do the race in Quebec still?
Old 24 Jan 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1508226)   #11
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster
Does anyone still remember if they do the race in Quebec still?
They never raced in Quebec. The Andros Thropy is only driven in France. The FIA International IceRacing Championship (or something) went to Quebec. This was the FIA's attempt to compete with the Andros. But it flopped, I think they only organised it two or three times.
Old 24 Jan 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1508266)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry to be anal but they do have a race in Andorra!
I tell you waht I remember and that is way back when when they got the rallycross guys to have a go I distinctly remember Terje Schie trying to get the E2 205 round a track one time, Anyone else remember that one?
Old 26 Jan 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1509608)   #13
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
It is a Saturday, that's great.
FOF, is there a smiley for work on Monday morning
You mean a very sad face in bed with a bucket and a pack of nurofen
Old 29 Jan 2006, 17:49 (Ref:1511377)   #14
Martin C
Rookie

England
Lincoln
Martin C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Muller is King once more!
Old 30 Jan 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1512076)   #15
DCS
Racer

DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
I tell you waht I remember and that is way back when when they got the rallycross guys to have a go I distinctly remember Terje Schie trying to get the E2 205 round a track one time, Anyone else remember that one?
This is funny, before I read this post I was planning of making a post on asking somebody for a picture of Terje Schie in I think was de 24h du Chamonix in 1989 or 1990. I think he became 4th or 5th. I also remember another 205T16 winning a lot of races with the flames out of the back...

I am also looking for high resolution pics of the Snobeck Astra MK3's

Nowadays I don't like it that much, to wierd those cars...
Old 2 Mar 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1534670)   #16
zac510
Veteran

I have booked my Andros Trophy ticket and am looking for someone to go halves in a 2for 1 Eurostar ticket to Paris. Cost will be around £65!
Old 14 Mar 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1547854)   #17
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Well, I'm now going to the Superfinal on Saturday! I've started a thread in the traditional place of Trackside to see who else is going...
Old 19 Mar 2006, 07:03 (Ref:1552528)   #18
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Really good evening - in spite of the brass monkeys weather. The commentators got the crowd going; and the racing just added to it. A few of the races were just very slightly manic - it's been a while since I've seen 50% of the starters leave the the track on the back of a flatbed, but entertaining never the less!
Well done to Frank Lagorce for a bit of a surprise victory in the Grand final though - he was in the right place at the right time to do well
Old 21 Mar 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1556031)   #19
zac510
Veteran

Asp, yes I loved it!! Those little buggies need tougher suspension so they can have a bit of biffo without getting put out of the race constantly.

Lagorce might have been lucky in the first final but in the second one he drove beautifully around Monnier and the other driver's stalled cars in the last corner to take the win!

I was laughing a lot at the drivers - pulling full speed power slides around the corners on the formation lap. The marshalls were waving their hands and yellow flags like mad but the drivers did it anyway

I couldn't believe how mad the French were for Prost, Panis and Loeb. They don't seem to care for their F1WC Renault. They just love their drivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
You were 100% right - I had absolutely no idea what was going on!!
They didn't put any times or results on the big screens and sometimes it was even hard to see which driver was in the car. Sometimes the best indicator was the driver's style.
They have times on the website now.. Can it be that hard to put it on the big screen?
Old 22 Mar 2006, 08:51 (Ref:1557365)   #20
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
You were 100% right - I had absolutely no idea what was going on!!
They didn't put any times or results on the big screens and sometimes it was even hard to see which driver was in the car. Sometimes the best indicator was the driver's style.
I agree, when there were cars on the circuit all you could hear was engines, no chance of hearing the commentary what so ever. The commentators did announce which drivers was in the car before the race, but it they could get it on the big screen it would be a major advantage. They were able to produce graphics saying who had won the race, I'm sure it would be possible before the event too...
Old 23 Mar 2006, 00:05 (Ref:1557913)   #21
zac510
Veteran

Yeah I'm sure even the French speaking audience would appreciate results on the big screen.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 22:37 (Ref:2089708)   #22
rugg_uk
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northampton
rugg_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been watching it on MotorsTV, fascinated by the rear steer on the cars, which seems to be driver controlled, has anyone seen a tech feature on line, of the cars???
Old 16 Dec 2007, 10:08 (Ref:2089841)   #23
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJM
They never raced in Quebec. The Andros Thropy is only driven in France. The FIA International IceRacing Championship (or something) went to Quebec. This was the FIA's attempt to compete with the Andros. But it flopped, I think they only organised it two or three times.
The I.R.S.I. (Ice Racing Series International) was just FIA recognised/authorised, not a "FIA attempt to compete with Andros" (BTW, Andros is established and ruled by former Rallycross ace and French champion Max Mamers!). It was the attempt of Chamonix 24h organiser Franz Hummel to put up a world series in the footsteps of his own race at Chamonix. And the Chamonix 24h (actually 6 heats of 40 minutes driven clockwise and anti-clockwise within 24 hours, two in the night from Saturday till Sunday) was the event where people like Rolf "Myggan" Nilsson/René Metge (they used the Porsche 911 BiTurbo 4x4 of John Greasley), Terje Schie/Philippe Gache (Schie’s Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 E2) and other RX regulars took part. While my friend/colleague Johnny Loix followed IRSI (some pics can be found in his older RX calendars) I was twice at Chamonix to cover the 24h for my mags and newspapers.

Apropos: I did this story http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisrennen on several forms of Ice Racing for the German speaking Wikipedia.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 10:22 (Ref:2089844)   #24
zac510
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugg_uk
Been watching it on MotorsTV, fascinated by the rear steer on the cars, which seems to be driver controlled, has anyone seen a tech feature on line, of the cars???
Hi mate I became quite interested in it after this event and did a bit of searching for tech information. There's not much around, certainly not in English. In the end I did it myself, I did quite a bit of research into it at another event I attended last Jan. Talking to the (French) mechanics was very difficult but I produced an article for a magazine and got some good pics.

Feel free to email/pm me and I can send you some info/pics!
Old 5 Nov 2011, 10:34 (Ref:2981823)   #25
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Andros Trophy calendar 2011-2012

Oreca Skoda: Olivier Panis, Franck Lagorce, Jacques Villeneuve and Paul Belmondo.

Dacia Buster: Alain Prost, Nicolas Prost and Even Stievenart.

Da Racing Renault: Romain Grosjean and Jean-Baptiste Dubourg.

Reigning champion Jean Philippe Dayraut continue BMW.