Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Oct 2006, 16:07 (Ref:1741329)   #1
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 Safety Car Regs Overhaul

Taken from Autosport.com

"FIA approves safety car rules shake-up

By Jonathan Noble Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 15:25 GMT

"

EDIT: Link: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55215

Last edited by Adam43; 18 Oct 2006 at 16:43. Reason: Please don't post entire articles, just the source or link. Include whatever aspect you want to discuss, of course. Thanks, see FAQ. I had to trim it all rather than guess, but added the link.
Old 18 Oct 2006, 16:36 (Ref:1741371)   #2
LongJohnSilver
Rookie

LongJohnSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So basically, everyone who has been lapped by the leader, but not everyone of the lead lap cars, gets 1 lap back.

Also, there must be a change to the one pit stall regulations now. If you cant immedietaly come in, then every team will be guaranteed to have stacked stops, royally screwing each teams second place car. After the pit stops you will have a situation where the top 11 wont have 2 cars from the same team, assuming that everyone is on the lead lap.
Old 18 Oct 2006, 17:45 (Ref:1741412)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to admit that I'm not overly fond of the new initiative; whilst I can see why it is a disadvantage for cars running in the pack on the lead lap have when they have to lap cars after a safety car period, the new system disadvantges a race leader, for could have any advantage over the rest of the cars eroded. In addition, it could be that there will be a number of cars running at racing speed in order to make back their lap, which to me doesn't seem in keeping with the idear of a safety car.
Old 18 Oct 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1741458)   #4
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That`s a good point..there will be a race within a race.

And to what benefit to the car given the lap back? In Nascar, that car may win...but in F1, a boat anchor remains a boat anchor.
Old 18 Oct 2006, 20:55 (Ref:1741551)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree that this rule disadvantages the leader too much.

A driver has built up a lead, and passed several backmarkers. For another driver to win he has to also pass the back markers in order to catch up with and then challenge the lead car.
Having a safety car intervention, and the backmarkers pulled out of the way isn't in my book very sporting.
I'd go as far as to suggest it's the FIA Race-fixing.

And how long before the 2nd driver of Team A "accidentally" hits the kill switch for the engine stopping at an apex of a corner - safety car! It's "total coincidence" that the 1st driver for Team A is 20 seconds down and has 3 lapped cars between himself and the leader.
Oh look when the safety car peels off into the pits, 1st driver of Team A is right under the gear box of the leader !

No if the leader has passed the back markers at racing speed then it's up to everyone else to do the same thing.

As for the pitlane, Yes I like the idea of the pitlane being closed until everyone bunches up, however I'd go further and keep the pitlane closed for the duration of the safety car period. Green Flag stops only!
And if someone has to stop for fuel or repairs during the safety car, they are automatically scored 1 lap down.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 18 Oct 2006 at 21:01.
Old 18 Oct 2006, 22:32 (Ref:1741647)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
And how long before the 2nd driver of Team A "accidentally" hits the kill switch for the engine stopping at an apex of a corner - safety car! It's "total coincidence" that the 1st driver for Team A is 20 seconds down and has 3 lapped cars between himself and the leader.
Oh look when the safety car peels off into the pits, 1st driver of Team A is right under the gear box of the leader !
This tactic could well have been applied to almost the same degree previously. In addition it isn't used like that in other series where safety cars are more common. I think this is overly cynical.

That is not to say I agree with this new SC method.
Old 18 Oct 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1741652)   #7
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A ludicrous change. Surely gaining back your time gap to the car in front is "reward" enough under a safety car, without having backmarkers removed from the equation too?

There's no sporting justification for this.
Old 18 Oct 2006, 23:45 (Ref:1741708)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
If the cars are in order of race position behind the safety car,then they should also remain at the approximate distance from each other when the safety car was deployed.Shouldn't be too difficult for race control and the teams to do.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 08:16 (Ref:1741889)   #9
Craig Senior
Rookie

England
Harewood
Craig Senior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the Safety car was there for the "Safety" of Marshals etc on track?

With the current regs you would get the Safety car followed by a train of cars all travelling at a speed dictated by the safety car.

The new regs would spread the cars out and have backmarkers racing found to rejoin the back of the train losing out on the control of the pack and the "Safety"

Doesn't really make alot of sense to me, maybe they should just call it "The car"

I may of course be wrong, it has happened before
Old 19 Oct 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1741979)   #10
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I have a mixed opinion on this...

First, I personnaly like the idea of removing backmarkers - If I was to explain way, it would take me 2 pages, so I'll just say that I like it...

Second, for issues others allready pointed out, I don't like the way it's going to be done - I would prefer to have them bunched up, and backmarkers let everybody pass them at low speeds. That way, the effect of SC would remain, and backmarkers would be in the back.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1742003)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Senior
The new regs would spread the cars out and have backmarkers racing found to rejoin the back of the train losing out on the control of the pack and the "Safety"
I see no comprimise in safety. They will not let they pass the SC until the problem they had was removed. These cars will not race round, because they can't overtake. So they will travel in a safer manner than when racing. It can only be considered unsafe if you consider cars on a track to be unsafe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outflat
There's no sporting justification for this.
The fans want close racing. This gives us closer racing. The fans have got what they want at the expense of sport and fair competition.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 11:40 (Ref:1742007)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm torn really. One the one hand, we will avoid those daft starts where Alonso drives away whilst the Midlands behind him appear oblivious that the race has restarted, holding everyone up to the tune of three minutes.

On the other hand, it is perhaps harsh on the leaders. But then, they will just have to do a bit more to win!

On second thoughts, this is better than what we have now.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 19 Oct 2006 at 11:59.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 11:46 (Ref:1742016)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looks right to the front runners. And this way, the backmarkers will regain the lap they were passed... at least one.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1742064)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Perhaps we can have a "Lucky dog" driver (gets to go back onto lead lap again),like Nascar.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1742069)   #15
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the new regs. I don't know about the rest of you but when I was reading them I kept thinking these regs are about ten years too late. I also think that these regs have been introduced to improve the show for television. It is interesting though that they are designed to stop teams gaining a massive advantage. Anything that forces racing and passing on the track instead of the pit lane...I am a big fan of.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1742127)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Hopefully this sort of thing can be introduced into other sports. Randomly bunch the pack up in marathons, rowing and cycling. We can't have people getting too far ahead that would be too fair.

In fact make this compulsary in F1. Whenever a gap on the circuit gets to over 10s get out the SC. Imagine if that had alsways been the case. Nurburgring '57 would have been a lot more exciting. And we wouldn;t have had anything as tedious as Stewart winning by 4 minutes as we did at that venue a few years afterwards.

I'm done now
Old 19 Oct 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1742162)   #17
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Hopefully this sort of thing can be introduced into other sports. Randomly bunch the pack up in marathons, rowing and cycling. We can't have people getting too far ahead that would be too fair.

In fact make this compulsary in F1. Whenever a gap on the circuit gets to over 10s get out the SC. Imagine if that had alsways been the case. Nurburgring '57 would have been a lot more exciting. And we wouldn;t have had anything as tedious as Stewart winning by 4 minutes as we did at that venue a few years afterwards.

I'm done now
Go ahead there Adam
I see where your coming from....Donington 93 springs to mind. If these regs would have been in force at that time then we would have never seen Senna showing them all how it was done.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 15:56 (Ref:1742205)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I can see it now...Mandatory safety car! The leader is perillously close to lapping a back marker..it's Sato!...Not even with a million waved blue flags and every teams pit board declaring "He's behind you ******" would you hope to pass him safely.Enter the safety car-problem solved.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 16:03 (Ref:1742212)   #19
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With this years rules one problem is that you can slow and accelerate way before finish line. IIRC at Melbourne Alonso got about 4-5 seconds as lapped driver didn't react very well.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1742221)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu
IIRC at Melbourne Alonso got about 4-5 seconds as lapped driver didn't react very well.
Hence the change to the regulations.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 16:33 (Ref:1742242)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The only problem I foresee with this rule would be if it were abused. Which I'm quite sure it wouldn't be.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1742273)   #22
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something the marshals will have to look out for is cars going at racing speed whilst the safety car is out.

Example:
Sato is directly behind the safety car with the leader behind him. Safety Car passes incident and then waves Sato past. Sato belts round at racing speed to catch the back of the queue again and passes the incident again at racing speed whilst doing so.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1742300)   #23
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Example:
Sato is directly behind the safety car with the leader behind him. Safety Car passes incident and then waves Sato past. Sato belts round at racing speed to catch the back of the queue again and passes the incident again at racing speed whilst doing so.
(Almost) Lapped cars were always sent past the SC if they ended up in front of the leader. The SC always picked up the leader.

Also: I don't see a risk for the marshals, they won't wave them past the SC as long as work is done, only when the track is clear again. Might take a lap longer until the SC pulls off track, though.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1742351)   #24
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi
(Almost) Lapped cars were always sent past the SC if they ended up in front of the leader. The SC always picked up the leader.

Also: I don't see a risk for the marshals, they won't wave them past the SC as long as work is done, only when the track is clear again. Might take a lap longer until the SC pulls off track, though.
So that means the safety car will be out longer than it is now, and ITV can have longer ad breaks and still come back in time to miss the restart.