Old 14 May 2001, 21:10 (Ref:92531)   #1
JVA
Racer

JVA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arrows with VW engine??

I found this message on F1i.com
Interesting!!!

Arrows Close to VW Deal? 12 May 2001 09:54

Paddock talk has swung from VW not supplying anyone to being close to a partnership with Tom Walkinshaw's team

A paddock source in Austria has suggested that Tom Walkinshaw is close to landing an engine deal with Volkswagen.

Through his TWR Engineering business, the Scot has had links with a large number of major manufacturers over time but, since taking control of the Arrows team in 1996, has been unable to nail down a longterm partnership with a manufacturer. Arrows had a Yamaha deal when Damon Hill drove for the team in 1997, but has since used its own TWR Engines developed V10, followed by Supertec and now Asiatech power.

Walkinshaw has always said that a manufacturer deal is his top priority. The VAG group has a motorsport presence through Audi and Bentley in sportscar racing, and SEAT in rallying, but has been carefully considering the future direction for the VW brand itself.

VAG is close behind General Motors and Ford in terms of volume car manufacture throughout the world and has undoubtedly been pitched by most of the top teams in the Formula 1 paddock at some stage.

Toyota will itself take up the 12th and final Formula 1 entry next year, and there are only four teams on the grid without a works engine association - Arrows, Sauber, Prost and Minardi. Sauber enjoys a happy marriage with Ferrari, and the two teams have a longstanding partnership. Prost is also a Ferrari customer team, and is now in the first season of a two-year deal. Minardi, which is also believed to be talking to VW and Renault, among others, is currently using outmoded Cosworth units bearing the 'European' badge.

Arrows, meanwhile, has a two-year deal with Asiatech - a Far Eastern consortium that bought Peugeot's Formula 1 arm when the French manufacturer withdrew from Grand Prix racing. Performance so far has not been impressive. Asiatech promised an ultra-lightweight engine, but the power output has rarely proved competitive.

This latest speculation contradicts recent reports in which VW director Bernd Pischetsrieder was quoted as saying: "We won't do that [enter Formula 1]. Even to come in 16th, you first have to raise a quarter of a billion dollars."
Old 14 May 2001, 21:45 (Ref:92552)   #2
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think VW would be Out-Of-Their-Minds to provide engines for a F1 team, even a respectable one. Lots of Pain and Nought to Gain. F1 does not fit with VW's image, and I don't believe VW owners - in the main - are wannabe racers. If VW is sensible, they will continue to limit their racing efforts to supplying spares for the Formula V and Super V cars. AUDI is another matter. With Daimler and BMW already involved, it would make considerable sense for AUDI to come in. Think of the ads they could create if they won a championship!
Old 14 May 2001, 22:00 (Ref:92564)   #3
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well: I think the engines will be named Bugatti,Lamborgini,Porsche or Audi.

anyway:it would be good for F1 if they entered F1, hopefully GM will do the same.......
Old 15 May 2001, 02:10 (Ref:92624)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Maxmil
...F1 does not fit with VW's image, and I don't believe VW owners - in the main - are wannabe racers.
Gee, I've got TWO.
Old 15 May 2001, 19:06 (Ref:92929)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back Lamborghini?? OhhhhWWWWOOOOOOWWWWW!!!! Now if they'd only shift that utterly ridiculous V10 only rule and stcik a couple of extra cylinders on and... baby!!
Old 16 May 2001, 14:28 (Ref:93221)   #6
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve, what does Porsche have to do with this???

There are no links between Porsche and VAG other then the VAG chairman being the cousin/grandson of Ferdinand Porsche. The two companies are not connected in any other way that this one.
Old 16 May 2001, 14:41 (Ref:93226)   #7
grklein
Rookie

grklein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, there is, VAG bought Porsche control some years ago, when porsche was in a huge financial crisis.
Old 16 May 2001, 15:52 (Ref:93245)   #8
Orange
Racer

Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Errrm... grklein, I'm not sure you have your facts straight... As gar as I know, Porsche is still independant.

As far as VAG's involvement goes, Piech (CEO) has as good as said that if VAG goes into F1, it will be as Bugatti!! Now as thrilling s the idea of a V12 powered Lamborghini on the grid is, it pales when compared to the thought of a French Racing Blue Bugatti!!!! (V16? sound good?... or maybe a straight 8... ok, now I'm just being crazy!!!)
Old 16 May 2001, 16:07 (Ref:93250)   #9
grklein
Rookie

grklein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, now that you said, in fact i'm not sure, but I still think vw owns porsche. Anyway, I think it'd be good if vw joined f1 (with whichever of its brands), cause they can afford building a good engine.
BTW I forgot to say hi to everybody, this is my first day at this forum, which is the best f1 forum i ever found. Is there any other brazilian here?
Old 16 May 2001, 21:15 (Ref:93364)   #10
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Formula1.co.uk is now speculating that VAG will supply engines to Sauber when their Ferrari deal runs out. VAG owns the Bugatti marque and would use it on the F1 engines thus avoiding the risk to its active marques. I too have a strong recollection that VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group) acquired Porsche awhile back, but can now find nothing either on the web or in my library to confirm this.
Old 17 May 2001, 11:26 (Ref:93534)   #11
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Yes, there is, VAG bought Porsche control some years ago, when porsche was in a huge financial crisis
No, they didn't. They have ties (developing the cayenne Porsche off roader) , but then again VW and Ford developed the Galaxy/Sharan together.

Porsche is still independent.
Old 17 May 2001, 14:52 (Ref:93590)   #12
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed there WAS talk of a Porsche Sharan!!

Bring back Lamborghini! Sod it, bring back Larousse!! They were the top, especially in that Harlequin Kronenbourg livery! Pics??
Old 17 May 2001, 15:42 (Ref:93618)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
Well: I think the engines will be named Bugatti,Lamborgini,Porsche or Audi.

anyway:it would be good for F1 if they entered F1, hopefully GM will do the same.......

Have GM even got a worldwide brand yet?
Old 17 May 2001, 16:05 (Ref:93627)   #14
Stonegold
Rookie

Stonegold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I've read that Tom Walkinshaw is in talks with Ford-Cosworth (Jaguar) this weekend!! Ford was impressed bye Jos Verstappen as he finished before Irvine!! You can also read this at a Dutch formule1-forum!!
Old 17 May 2001, 17:15 (Ref:93652)   #15
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Maxmil
F1 does not fit with VW's image, and I don't believe VW owners - in the main - are wannabe racers.
I'm a VW owner, and I love F1... Bring those german motors to F1 and I'll be so happy !!!
Old 17 May 2001, 17:19 (Ref:93655)   #16
Orange
Racer

Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, VW will return to F1, but not as an engine supplier... They will buy out a team, and run a Toyota-esque "chassis and engine under one roof" team. Look for Prost to get bought, and transformed into Bugatti... or maybe Lamborhini. ok... starting to sound like a broken record!