Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jul 2003, 19:34 (Ref:663217)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Grand Prix racing in India

According to an article i read at www.f1-live.com grand prix racing in India will soon be a reality .
That means three new tracks Bahrain(which i read that the government has given a go ahead)China and now India.
Austria has already been axed and San Marino is almost as good as gone ,so which will be the third to go if an Indian
grand prix is held? Silverstone? i hope not and the announcement of an Indian grand prix probably means we wont see a race at SPA .eventhough we might not see an Indian grand prix next year as it will take a year or so to organize themselves. Bernie eccelstone said that the first steps have been taken (meaning a cheque has been written in his name !!)

anyone know if India has a race track ? never heard of one or will we have a street race ? i doubt it.

All i can say is that more money to fill an aleady fat wallet of tax collector Bernie!!!
Old 16 Jul 2003, 19:40 (Ref:663224)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I need to lie down now...
Old 16 Jul 2003, 19:54 (Ref:663236)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
India has a few track look at www.etrackonline.co.uk
there is one in Madras they have hosted an f3 race i believe and Formula Asia, Asia Pacific Touring Car Challenge -i don't know if this is the track to be raced
Old 16 Jul 2003, 22:13 (Ref:663375)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
India actually meets all of what I consider prerequisites. So long as they put together a decent track, I'd feel as comfortable with a race there as I would in, say, South Africa.

Won't be a decent track, though... But another Tilke-ring.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 03:41 (Ref:663532)   #5
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
India? hmmm...no offense but why give it to a poor country? Surely there are other wealthy Asian countries that deserves to be on the calendar. India should concentrate providing basic needs to it's people rather than spend money on a track.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 04:04 (Ref:663543)   #6
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's around 1 billion people in India. Someone has money.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 04:39 (Ref:663558)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

The wealth of a nation should really not be a factor, as far as I'm concerned. More power to them if they can put on a good event with fewer resources.

I'm sure Bernie won't settle for anything less than another Sepang, though.

*sigh*
Old 17 Jul 2003, 05:09 (Ref:663574)   #8
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
More millionaires in India than any other country.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 07:00 (Ref:663609)   #9
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Yeah great.....only for the small circle of rich brats. Have any of you seen their streets and their airports? Smells because of bad sewerage and just take a look at the vast majority of poor people in that country. Some remote areas don even have running water and electricity. Surely the millions of rupees used to build the track could be used for a better cause.

And oh Lee, drop it will ya with the Sepang thing. I'm here to discuss about motorsports, nothing else so don try to drag me like the way you've drag others
Old 17 Jul 2003, 11:23 (Ref:663760)   #10
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Oh well it will be fun to see the F1 guys swerving around all the cows lying on the track then.Presumably the pre race entertainment will be Formula Morris Oxford racing as they seem to be the only cars they have in India.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 11:33 (Ref:663774)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
India has a few track look at www.etrackonline.co.uk
there is one in Madras they have hosted an f3 race i believe and Formula Asia, Asia Pacific Touring Car Challenge -i don't know if this is the track to be raced

The right url is: http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/

Last edited by ASCII Man; 17 Jul 2003 at 11:34.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 11:41 (Ref:663780)   #12
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not even going to comment.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 14:22 (Ref:663942)   #13
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh sorry aout the link- This might help india, as such a big cash infusion it might inspire someone to donate to public works or something....
probably not.
Butt I love India and the race there should still be good
Old 17 Jul 2003, 14:57 (Ref:663984)   #14
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
And oh Lee, drop it will ya with the Sepang thing. I'm here to discuss about motorsports, nothing else so don try to drag me like the way you've drag others
Hey, it's the best current example of what Bernie expects from a new venue! Great facilities, impressive architecture, a weird track that produces processional racing, and temperatures in triple digits.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 15:40 (Ref:664034)   #15
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is this move east purely to ensure that the races don't clash with Coronation Street in the UK???
Old 18 Jul 2003, 02:10 (Ref:664507)   #16
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Hey, it's the best current example of what Bernie expects from a new venue! Great facilities, impressive architecture, a weird track that produces processional racing, and temperatures in triple digits.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 02:23 (Ref:664514)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Okay, okay... And a really big, excited crowd.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 03:26 (Ref:664537)   #18
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
LOL you really are a classic Lee.....i see clearly your point. What can i say, we have the money and anything we do....we like it to be really grand. It's not like, people here are starving or there are bums on our street and people from neighbouring countries are pouring in to fill in the labour shortage.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 03:56 (Ref:664545)   #19
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Yeah, well... I just worry that Malaysia's business community is throwing the money around a bit too liberally, as though trying to buy respect. But mostly that's me being perpetually angry at Proton for their enslavement of Lotus.

And for the record, we don't have a labor shortage except in skilled trades... Businesses lobby to let huge numbers of foreigners flood our southern border just to drive down wages. Typical class warfare. So there.

But yeah, I admit Malaysia does sound like a pretty nice place from everything I've read about it.

I'm _never_ gonna like any of Tilke's track designs, though! Not in a billion years!!! Someday motor racing historians will refer to him the way we refer to Dr. Mengele!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 18 Jul 2003 at 04:00.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 04:16 (Ref:664551)   #20
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Yup Lee, i share your sentiments about Tilke....in Lotus case, i think it's best that Proton bought them cause it's not like Proton makes them change their business plans. It's the technology and know how that Proton are after, not aquisitions that would make existing workers having to be laid off and changing existing benefits. And recently Proton sponsors a Division 1 football team at where the factory is located at. (can't remember which town)

Last edited by Jukebox; 18 Jul 2003 at 04:17.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 04:49 (Ref:664561)   #21
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Oh, and now I remember the other reason I can't stand Proton! The so-called Pert rallycar! Shame on them for such a lie!

With regards to Lotus, I think more than anything else, they're misusing Lotus. Their engine guys need to sit down with Lotus, and come up with an excellent new generation of powerplants so that Protons can be better cars, and Lotus won't have to outsource all their powertrains. Win-win situation.

Plus Lotus needs to be able to run a deficit sometimes if they're going to get back into racing. Again, it could be a win-win situation... Proton engines powering Lotus chassis at a lot of different levels. More prestige for both of them.

It seems, instead, that they spend a ton of money to buy prestige that someone else worked for (be it Colin Chapman or Mitsubish), then don't know what to do with it.

You can't afford to get cocky when your economy is booming. That set us back at least a decade when we made that mistake. Heck, were it not for WWII, we might still be economically stagnant.

Getting back to the original topic... Anyone got info on present circuits in India? Wasn't there a group that tried to build an F1-grade circuit in '98?

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 18 Jul 2003 at 04:55.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 05:25 (Ref:664572)   #22
BMW V10
Rookie

BMW V10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been to the Malaysian GP and really enjoyed it especially since BMW got 1-2. The facilities were nice and the fans there are pretty good. It is pretty clean and the security is good unlike some things I heard from the monza post. The only problem I have is lack of television screens and if you are sitting on the front half of the track then the visibility is not very good
Old 18 Jul 2003, 05:53 (Ref:664579)   #23
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta

Getting back to the original topic... Anyone got info on present circuits in India? Wasn't there a group that tried to build an F1-grade circuit in '98?
Try the Motor Racing Circuit Database www.racingcircuits.net/
In 1985 there was an Indian 'temporada' Tiff Needell won a Bangalore GP in a F.Atlantic Chevron and retired in 2 races at Madras.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 06:01 (Ref:664581)   #24
BMW V10
Rookie

BMW V10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would the GP take place in madras? The circuit looks terrible in my opinion I hope that F1 cars never have to race there. It looks slow and I do not see ANY passing opportunities. There are no real straight aways and the turns after the straights are not tight enough so braking distances will be very short. What do you think
Old 18 Jul 2003, 06:13 (Ref:664585)   #25
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29
Try the Motor Racing Circuit Database www.racingcircuits.net/
In 1985 there was an Indian 'temporada' Tiff Needell won a Bangalore GP in a F.Atlantic Chevron and retired in 2 races at Madras.
Yes, yes, I tried that and eTracks both. I need more info than that!