Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 9 Mar 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2842986)   #1
Phil Morrison
Rookie

Phil Morrison should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Balancing 10 throttles

I have an S85 BMW V10 engine with a manual throttle linkeage, ITB's and no idle control valves, so the throttles are cracked a little to idle.
I've tried a very basic air measurement meter (I think it's called a syncrometer) but I beleive it's intended for measuring and matching carbs, as it just bounces about way to much with the single pulses of ITB's to take a measurement.
I ended up using a pair of ear defenders with a rubber pipe to match the pulses and got it to idle better, but I'm still not happy with it.
Does anyone know of a more accurate device I can buy or hire that will help me balance the throttles?.
Many thanks
Old 10 Mar 2011, 00:13 (Ref:2843125)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The old rubber pipe is what we used to use back in the dim n distant past but worked OK.
The balance meter that I use can be adjusted to even out the pulses, if you can see the butterflies you could use feeler gauges to set them up.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 Mar 2011, 01:18 (Ref:2843141)   #3
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't laugh but a 10mm wide piece of newspaper is just about right as a feeler gauge to start with. That at least lets you get them balanced and then you can alter the idle with the main stop screw.

Strange that the Syncrometer played up like that. I've used the Jenvey one and that works pretty good unless you have a lot of cam overlap.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 13:00 (Ref:2843372)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Rubber pipe straight in to yer ear always worked for me. Mind you never tried getting 10 cylides right!
Old 10 Mar 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2843440)   #5
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Back in the day on 4 cylinder motorcycles we used to use 4 vacuum gauges, suitably damped to iron out the pulses to synchronise the carbs. Obviously you'd need 10 for your engine (and tappings into each inlet manifold throat to take your measurement from).
Old 16 Mar 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2846796)   #6
Phil Morrison
Rookie

Phil Morrison should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the help guys .
After doing some more research, I ended up buying a pair of Midlock carb gauges for £140, and they have worked really well. Much more accurate, and I'm happy with how the throttles are set up now.