Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 20 Jun 2007, 02:50 (Ref:1942201)   #26
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very left field
Old 20 Jun 2007, 09:42 (Ref:1942362)   #27
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
With some of the folks available out there I would be surprised by this but keep in mind that both Mario and Michael drove for Newman Haas. There is definitely a relationship there so perhaps this is not as left field as it might sound at first blush.

But I will ask also: An IRL paddock at the USGP?

Oh! Duh!! The IPS support race...never mind!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 09:50 (Ref:1942364)   #28
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The point being that SB would not even consider a team like STR a short while ago as they are too far down the grid.

Todt is indeed Jean Todt's son. I think he has explained to SB that he needs to get his foot in the door NOW, and has the connections to make it happen - even if it is with an STR rather than Williams or some such.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 17:10 (Ref:1943509)   #29
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I addressed this in my column this week...

If Seabass wins the CCWS championship again this year, I don't see him staying in the Series...he has nothing to prove by staying and the money is bigger in F-1

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 Jun 2007, 19:36 (Ref:1943627)   #30
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd aim for Toyota if I were him. STR and Williams may have to resort to pay drivers to keep going. Toyota can pay him and he may even get lucky and get a decent car there. The team has a pathetic track record, but if any team has the money to put together something it's Toyota. And if they don't give him a good car, then at worst he's fighting it out with STR and Williams. So no gain there. Toyota should have a seat opening up, so why not?
Old 21 Jun 2007, 20:38 (Ref:1943676)   #31
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The problem is, if Toyota were interested, they may well want him on a longterm deal.

I am not sure one would want to be using Toyota as anything more than a brief stepping-stone.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 00:21 (Ref:1943814)   #32
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Problem is that everyone who has left Toyota has left F1: Salo, McNish, DaMatta and Panis - all gonzo. This team ends careers...not sure if I were SB that I would jump too quickly on this ride once Schumi Lite joins the stable of ex-pilotes...
Old 22 Jun 2007, 00:37 (Ref:1943823)   #33
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed, but, still, if it was that or nothing...
Old 22 Jun 2007, 01:13 (Ref:1943833)   #34
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good points. It would be a huge positive if he was quicker than Trulli though. With that said, if he wasn't, then that would be worse.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 02:50 (Ref:1943862)   #35
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be much wiser to match up against either Speed or Liuzzi in your first year in F1. Trulli may not be World champion material but he is experienced and bloody quick to boot.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 26 Jun 2007, 16:30 (Ref:1947387)   #36
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He will probably take any F1 seat that he can get, because he is 28, and no driver has got into F1 who was over 30. This is most likely the last chance that he will get, and he knows this.

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlin...26164920.shtml
Old 27 Jun 2007, 03:18 (Ref:1947761)   #37
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Robin Miller from Speed reported that he has been told it will be Bourdais and Senna at STR in 2008.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 13:58 (Ref:1948144)   #38
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Robin Miller from Speed reported that he has been told it will be Bourdais and Senna at STR in 2008.
Senna??? Oh you have to be kidding me - based on the last couple of seasons results he'd be only less deserving of an F1 ride than Glock, Filippi, Conway and Jarvis and funnily enough I don't hear any of their names mentioned in connection of a ride. At least Sea-bass should see him off pretty resoundingly.

Though I have to say I hope Miller is wrong.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 14:08 (Ref:1948148)   #39
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
He will probably take any F1 seat that he can get, because he is 28, and no driver has got into F1 who was over 30.
The 1996 World Champion?
Old 27 Jun 2007, 14:23 (Ref:1948156)   #40
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
The 1996 World Champion?
Yes, there are exceptions, but the majority of the drivers in F1 today have started their careers in F1 when they were younger than 30.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 15:02 (Ref:1948176)   #41
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed. But if Bourdais would go to F1 now he could stay for a decade - 2017 seems like awfully distant right now.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 09:20 (Ref:1948818)   #42
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
Senna??? Oh you have to be kidding me - based on the last couple of seasons results he'd be only less deserving of an F1 ride than Glock, Filippi, Conway and Jarvis and funnily enough I don't hear any of their names mentioned in connection of a ride.
When teams are looking for $$$$, the name Senna is definately going to be a help.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1948907)   #43
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
When teams are looking for $$$$, the name Senna is definately going to be a help.
Without doubt - but with every driver who is there because of marketing or money the value of the series, and therefore the championship on offer, diminshes as a result.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 18:55 (Ref:1960921)   #44
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
Bourdais was testing with Toro Rosso again today, this time at Spa Francorchamps. His times were off the leader's pace, but not by too much.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=32104
Old 11 Jul 2007, 21:39 (Ref:1961072)   #45
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even Van Der Garde (very unexperienced!) beat him with a Spyker. I'm far from impressed by Bourdais.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 22:05 (Ref:1961096)   #46
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch chap
Even Van Der Garde (very unexperienced!) beat him with a Spyker. I'm far from impressed by Bourdais.
But Bourdais was more than five seconds quicker than Kubica.

There's no real point in comparing lap times at test sessions.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 22:17 (Ref:1961107)   #47
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzen
There's no real point in comparing lap times at test sessions.
Not under "normal" circumstances. But this time you'd expect them to be on the same mission: show your speed!

OK then, another comparrison: Albers has beaten Doornbos in F1 in equal cars(just) and Doornbos is leading CCWS in front of Bourdais. Van Der Garde has hardly any experiance in a F1 car. Where does this leave Bourdais?
Old 11 Jul 2007, 22:42 (Ref:1961126)   #48
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure about Bourdais but it's obvious that Van der Garde is the heir apperent to Michael Schumacher. Raikkonen best be watching his back.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 11 Jul 2007, 23:08 (Ref:1961141)   #49
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
It would be nice if Van Der Garde took the usual route to F1 by proving himself in F3 for a start. No worries gents, there's nothing special from Holland available at the moment. At least no drivers who can afford a F1 seat. If we were just talking about talent we could discuss Bleekemolen or, even better, but due to lack of financial support unknown, Van Dongen.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 06:45 (Ref:1961264)   #50
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hmmm -- Bourdais is so far unimpressive versus Liuzzi's time -- I wonder if the fact that they're running Sebass again tomorrow too, rather than a day with Speed in the car means --

1. Speed's job is more secure than Liuzzi's and they want to compare Sebass against the driver who's on the bubble?
OR
2. They've already decided to drop Speed and they want to see how Sebastian stacks up against what they consider at this time to be their number one driver?
OR
3. -------------------------- Fill in the blank.