Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 Jan 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3007842)   #1
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pick-pockets

Last year at the circuit my father (who is with the police) saw some suspicious looking people trying to pickpocket other people that were entering and leaving the circuit. He walked up to them and asked them what they were doing and they ran off. So see this as a warning when you're at the circuit watch out for pick pockets.
(Sorry that this comes this long after the race, but I just thought of it.)
Old 5 Jan 2012, 20:31 (Ref:3007847)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is known. As you would in any place where there are large crowds you need to watch your pockets and your gear. It's not a Le Mans thing, particularly. Worth the warning though.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 20:38 (Ref:3007855)   #3
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It is known. As you would in any place where there are large crowds you need to watch your pockets and your gear. It's not a Le Mans thing, particularly. Worth the warning though.
It was pretty weird to see it happen. One guy starts acting funny everyone is looking at him and someone else is pushing the people up from behind and also starts to look for valuables. That's also the moment my dad starts talking to him and immediately they both run off.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 22:32 (Ref:3008403)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Those sort of people appear at all major events where large numbers of people can be targeted, but I must admit that over the last 28 years or so I have not heard of many incidents of pick pockets although I have heard many times of things being stolen from tents even while the owners are asleep in them
Old 6 Jan 2012, 22:55 (Ref:3008406)   #5
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've seen it happen when you get a guy doing the three cup magic trick where you guess which cup has the ball under for money. Its all a con as the 1st punter is in on the scam, then its all slight of hand and people loose money. Whilst this is going on the pick pockets see whos pulling cash out of which bags/ pockets and target them in the surrounding croud.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 23:03 (Ref:3008411)   #6
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
saw some suspicious looking people
How can you tell them apart from some of the spectators that go to the race? I have seen some pretty odd looking people in the years I have attended!!

But on a serious note, it is well worth the reminder to be careful.
Old 7 Jan 2012, 10:05 (Ref:3008553)   #7
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
How can you tell them apart from some of the spectators that go to the race? I have seen some pretty odd looking people in the years I have attended!!

But on a serious note, it is well worth the reminder to be careful.
Must look like some racial profiling but it was a african man and a chinese man. They just didn't look like they belonged at the race. The african man was walking around in a suit. Who goes to le mans in a suit?
Old 8 Jan 2012, 08:05 (Ref:3008871)   #8
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!

well all the drivers wear race suits
Old 8 Jan 2012, 09:32 (Ref:3008884)   #9
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
Who goes to le mans in a suit?
Oh no it wasn't Jean-Marie Balestre again was it, he always wore a suit ............... I was always suspicous he was trying to ruin the race in some way or another
Old 9 Apr 2012, 20:21 (Ref:3056004)   #10
silas184
Rookie

silas184 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of our group had his wallet nicked at the Drivers Parade so be careful there too! Four to five years ago now.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3056028)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I must admit that in 26 years I've never actually witnessed it. But I'm sure it happens. I'm not convinced though that it's any more prevalent at Le Mans than at any other large gathering in a big city....
Old 9 Apr 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3056069)   #12
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
just remember to be careful at all times,if you don't need to carry stuff around don't also don't keep everything in the same place, spread it around that way you won't loss cards,money,keys and passport at the same time
Old 18 Apr 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3061490)   #13
Bluarmy
Rookie

England
Birmingham UK
Bluarmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A cheap anti-pickpocket device I use is a wallet chain clipped to my belt loop. Also useful to keep wallet attached after a beer or 2.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3061694)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Keeping brain attached after a beer or 2 helps as well.....
Old 19 Apr 2012, 01:39 (Ref:3061809)   #15
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
How can you tell them apart from some of the spectators that go to the race? I have seen some pretty odd looking people in the years I have attended
I can sometimes resemble that remark ..... particularly after thursday night ..... if some one asked me what I was doing , he would be told to !!!
Old 19 Apr 2012, 01:44 (Ref:3061812)   #16
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Keeping brain attached after a beer or 2 helps as well.....
Ahh , but , sadly , we get a lot of loons who just travel to Le Mans ..... the race being of no interest at all .

,Nothing wrong with a beer or two , or even 12 , if you can deal with it , and cause no issues for others .

Point being , enjoy yourself by all means , and have the intellect to understand that others want to enjoy the event too , and may not nessessarliy agree with your antics .

Everything in moderation .

As for pick pockets , never came across one in 19 years of going ..... sadly I wont be making a 20th year this year , again !!!

Someone nicked a bottle of rum outta our campsite 3 years ago ..... hope they ****ing choked on it !!!
Old 19 Apr 2012, 07:57 (Ref:3061872)   #17
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
..... sadly I wont be making a 20th year this year , again !!!
Does that mean you're putting the beer I owe you on hold until? Or have I misunderstood?
Old 19 Apr 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3062345)   #18
The Badger
Veteran

Afraid so James ..... wife has a job now , and the little one will still be at school . So , unless I can sort out a babysitter , for a week , all day which might cost a fortune , Im screwed , again !!! Im gutted , but at least I will have it all on the box .
Old 20 Apr 2012, 18:29 (Ref:3062748)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Darn James, we'll have to drink them for him then!
Old 20 Apr 2012, 18:36 (Ref:3062751)   #20
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Really? Oh well, if we must. Afterall, I wouldn't want those perfectly chilled beers go to waste.

Old 20 Apr 2012, 22:04 (Ref:3062832)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm liking the look of that!
Old 21 Apr 2012, 00:19 (Ref:3062888)   #22
The Badger
Veteran

Rub it in you pair of !!!

Im gutted enough , without thinking of the free beer .
Old 21 Apr 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3063005)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Sorry mate, but you have to plan your home life around your Le Mans life - not the other way around!
Old 21 Apr 2012, 11:43 (Ref:3063099)   #24
The Badger
Veteran

I realise that (and have been successful for 19 bloody years) but the missis doesnt !!!