Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Nov 2001, 15:59 (Ref:172962)   #1
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there any life left in the Ferrari 333SP?

It amazes me that people still try to run a car that has its roots in 1994, and of course the main reason is because its a Ferrari (well really a Dallara/Ferrari but whos counting).

I know that a Ferrari (with Judd power!) ran in Grand Am this year and they still compete with the V12 in the FIA Sports Cars but does anyone know if Ferrari have ANY plans anytime soon to replace the aging machine. Or at least overhaul it.
Old 10 Nov 2001, 17:21 (Ref:172988)   #2
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Is there any life left in the Ferrari 333SP?

Quote:
Originally posted by H16
It amazes me that people still try to run a car that has its roots in 1994, and of course the main reason is because its a Ferrari (well really a Dallara/Ferrari but whos counting).
(The R&S Mk.III is just as old, and it isn't a Ferrari )
In fact, the main reason is that the cassis is still pretty good. The slightly more restrictive chassis rules of in GrandAm and FIASCC keep it alive because with a restrictor break, the fact that the engine is lousy can just about be covered up. The Ferrari teams are struggling, though. Doran wanted to sideline its Fudd last year but the Crawford proved to be even worse.

Quote:
I know that a Ferrari (with Judd power!) ran in Grand Am this year
Same in the FIASCC - chassis #003 - the oldest 333 still running, albeit with a Judd V10 now.

Quote:
...and they still compete with the V12 in the FIA Sports Cars but does anyone know if Ferrari have ANY plans anytime soon to replace the aging machine. Or at least overhaul it.
Definitely not. The factory itself hasn't done any development on this car, and that is a real shame. It has seen a lot of development over the years, though, mainly done by Michelotto (with quiet consent from Ferrari, but that was as far as they would go). I believe that at the end of '99, Ferrari advised all 333 teams to retire their cars because the factory would not give this car any kind of support anymore. They are on their own.

Have a look at this page for further info on the 333:http://come.to/333sp
(if it doesn't work right away, be patient & reload )
Old 10 Nov 2001, 20:00 (Ref:173016)   #3
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari needs to make a brand new car. With hand controls. For Reggazonni and Zandardi. What a story that would be, huh? I have met Reggazonni and he is an ok guy. He still gets around real good in a kart, and with the new semi auto paddle shifters, he would be must fine. We already know nothing can stop Alex. What kind of positive exposure would the sport get for this? It would be big, real big.

All Ferrari would have to do is punch out an F-1 motor to 4 litres and let Dallara go at it again. They could even run a 3.5 if the air restrictor is big enough. They don't face anything insurroumontable and it would be good for the sport. They are probably like everyone else and waiting to see the new regulations.
Old 10 Nov 2001, 21:29 (Ref:173032)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Uncompetitive and long in the tooth it may be, but I still think its one of the best looking prototypes of recent years. I mean, compare it to the R8 - the Audi isn't exactly a good looking car, is it?
Old 10 Nov 2001, 21:40 (Ref:173035)   #5
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Uncompetitive and long in the tooth it may be, but I still think its one of the best looking prototypes of recent years. I mean, compare it to the R8 - the Audi isn't exactly a good looking car, is it?
The Audi is pretty hideous, isn't it? The one they ran in'99 was much better looking. One of my favorite open top cars was the '98 BMW LPM. It was nice and symetrical without all the big grooves cut it the bodywork we see now. It was nice and smoothe. The Audi has so many tucks in the bodywork that it is just too busy from a styling standpoint. I would have liked the Ferrari alot better if it had a nice, clean full width roll bar like the BMW.

Of the current cars, I suppose the Crawford is the one I like best, but nice looking doesn't always mean fast.
Old 10 Nov 2001, 21:55 (Ref:173042)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
True, Doc. The "if it looks right..." saying isn't always accurate, eh?! The BM was a great looking car though, I must admit. But I still tend to prefer the closed protos and GT's. The Toyota TS010 was a sensational looking car - it sounded as good as it looked, too!

Old 10 Nov 2001, 22:42 (Ref:173063)   #7
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari wouldn't have to fuss about with an ultra-complex F1 engine if they wanted to give the 333 a decent powerplant - take a good look at the 6l V12 in the F550 (Prodrive, Rafanelli,...) - see what I mean?
Old 11 Nov 2001, 01:18 (Ref:173104)   #8
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Actually, I think the R8 is a nice looking car. My favourite is the V12 LMR [BMW 99] though!
Old 11 Nov 2001, 01:59 (Ref:173116)   #9
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would generally go with the thought that the coupes are the best looking cars, but I must say that the Den Bla Avis sponsored prototype ( I think it is the Dome) racing in Europe this year is the best looking open top car.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 21:16 (Ref:174252)   #10
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari has stopped developing the 333SP. They are concentrating on F1.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 21:50 (Ref:174282)   #11
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I have read, Dallara provided all devlopment kits for the 333SP themsleves. The chassis was their deisgn as well. Ferrari did little or no development on the engines and even ceased providing rebuilds for the engines after two years. It is a shame because the car ran so well, sounded great, and was near bullet proof mechanically.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 22:01 (Ref:174289)   #12
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I suppose Ferrari didn't have much do with it then did they? I know they last ran a full works program in 73, but the car did win Daytona and Sebring twice, and I think it set fast lap at Le Mans one year.

Sad to hear there isn't much of a future for it.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 10:44 (Ref:174389)   #13
Logan
Rookie

Logan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could be wrong but I think one final chassis has been built for a final assault on the Daytona 24 hours next year.

Apart from a couple of cars possibly featuring in the FIA SCC next year this would definately be its finale so it would be nice to see it win (and not another GTS car!) one more time.

Logan.