Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Apr 2009, 16:27 (Ref:2430693)   #26
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the most positive announcements for BTCC against a back drop of also ran entries, Plato will no doubt prove his worth so we can hopefully see him for the year in the Chevy. The car itself is a top line spec machine and with RML running it should be interesting to see how it fairs.

One only hopes Plato does very well to secure the interest and retain fans in what has so far been a poor entry of capable drivers to mount a challenge to race wins.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 16:38 (Ref:2430699)   #27
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Hope it will become a full season drive for Plato.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2430703)   #28
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
One of the most positive announcements for BTCC against a back drop of also ran entries, Plato will no doubt prove his worth so we can hopefully see him for the year in the Chevy. The car itself is a top line spec machine and with RML running it should be interesting to see how it fairs.

One only hopes Plato does very well to secure the interest and retain fans in what has so far been a poor entry of capable drivers to mount a challenge to race wins.
A poor entry of drivers? What nonsense are you talking about? Its about the same as last year except for missing Jackson & Turner out of the top runners!

(By the way, you should read the news more often. There is a thing called a severe recession going on in the UK. The economy has gone down the tubes and businesses are going to the wall. I'm sure it might have some effect on motorsport......)
Old 1 Apr 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2430711)   #29
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
A poor entry of drivers? What nonsense are you talking about? Its about the same as last year except for missing Jackson & Turner out of the top runners!
Ability rather than numbers is the key I've said it before that the BTCC needs more talent in its line up and at present thats possibly half the field but Plato is a good step forward.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2430715)   #30
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Ability rather than numbers is the key I've said it before that the BTCC needs more talent in its line up and at present thats under half the field but Plato is a good step forward.
Right, so in that entry list there are about 7 - 10 drivers that are very capable race winners in their own right. Over the last 2 or 3 seasons the BTCC has had 7-10 different race winners each season. And each year the season has gone down to the last round or two. Yet somehow you think there's not much 'ability' in the field or its not much of a competitive series? Give me a break. The hard facts drive a horse and cart through your negative perception.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 17:15 (Ref:2430730)   #31
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Ability rather than numbers is the key I've said it before that the BTCC needs more talent in its line up and at present thats possibly half the field but Plato is a good step forward.
Talent means squat if you can't fund a drive, its a situation thats has always existed, it isn't unique to the BTCC, and its not going to change.

Anyhoo, Plato confirmed on the Autosport website.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2430735)   #32
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Yawn, again.

Has their been any sign that interest and retention of fans is happening?
Old 1 Apr 2009, 17:28 (Ref:2430736)   #33
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A couple of points in the Plato news seem a little bit strange.

Firstly, the entry is listed as an independent on the website, yet surely RML are in a similar situation to 888. Shouldn't this be a manufacturer/constructor entry? BTCC.net in a previous story about Tempus' Lacettis said 'with RML, who make the car'.

Secondly, I seem to remember Vaulkhard talking about how much better the 2009 car is to the 2008 model, yet RML state 'we have some 2008 kit still lying around '. If they are using a 2008 car, will Plato be able to pedal it fast enough to challenge for wins?
Old 1 Apr 2009, 17:29 (Ref:2430739)   #34
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm thinking that maybe Plato's got his eye's on next year with this drive. I know he's got links with RML from the SEAT days, but could he see this as getting back in with them, so that if they expand the WTCC effort, or cut one of their current drivers, he'll be first in line for a works WTCC, something he was disappointed he didn't get in the SEAT days.

And as for the 'lack of talent, I think this years grids looking pretty talented. Yes we've lost Jackson, but we've got Eaves back, O'Neill back, and Adam's in who are all very talented. Add to that Pinkney, who I think will surprise you, and Collard who's got two indy titles, and Chilton back at his favorite team. There's arguably more talent than last year.

I'd give up Jackson for that.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2430766)   #35
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Secondly, I seem to remember Vaulkhard talking about how much better the 2009 car is to the 2008 model, yet RML state 'we have some 2008 kit still lying around '. If they are using a 2008 car, will Plato be able to pedal it fast enough to challenge for wins?
Vaulkhard is driving a 2008-spec Lacetti, as a 2009 spec chevy is the new cruze model. So I assume Plato is also running a 2008-spec car the same as Vaulkhard (one the RML didn't sell perhaps?)
Old 1 Apr 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2430774)   #36
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh, Ok. Was unsure on the particular models.

Who built the car that RML will be running at Brands?

What chance Temus running Plato's car during WTCC weekends? RML already supply the team.

Last edited by crmalcolm; 1 Apr 2009 at 18:28. Reason: Added question
Old 1 Apr 2009, 18:42 (Ref:2430783)   #37
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_cat View Post
Vaulkhard is driving a 2008-spec Lacetti, as a 2009 spec chevy is the new cruze model. So I assume Plato is also running a 2008-spec car the same as Vaulkhard (one the RML didn't sell perhaps?)
Yep I would say this is the case in that its an ex 2008 WTCC car not sold.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 18:44 (Ref:2430784)   #38
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Them funnily enough.

I assume this is some of Plato's personal sponsors backing him for one race in the hope some more backers can be found.

The thing I don't understand is how has he ended up in a RML run car, when Tempus were making a lot of noises about wanting him. I know RML is a very experience squad, but surely they are even dearer to run a car than Tempus. Not discounting Tempus's credentials at all though they have a few ex RML guys there I've read?
Old 1 Apr 2009, 18:44 (Ref:2430786)   #39
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
Yawn, again.

Has their been any sign that interest and retention of fans is happening?
You'll need to judge this on gate numbers although it appears from your sleepy comment you have lost interest already
Old 1 Apr 2009, 18:51 (Ref:2430789)   #40
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Them funnily enough.

So surely an entry that should be in the constructors not independents?
Old 1 Apr 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2430828)   #41
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
So surely an entry that should be in the constructors not independents?
Ok, you are getting yourself way to confused.
Just because you design your own car doesnt mean you are not an independent.
A team can be both. Dynamics and Arena are listed as both independents and constructors.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2430877)   #42
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think what Vaulkhard meant was that the car he is using in 2009 is much better than the car he used in 2008. The one Robertshaw ran last year was originally built in 2006, this year's Tempus car is 2008-spec. There's been a lot of development between then and not everything on a 2008 can be fitted to a 2006 car.

Quote:
What chance Temus running Plato's car during WTCC weekends?
Where would be the sense in that? If that was true then why not get Tempus to run the car all season? Currently Plato doesn't have a full season deal so unless he gets more funding the clash of dates may not be an issue. Anyhow RML are big enough to be able to run both Plato and the Chevy WTCC teams on the same weekend.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 21:21 (Ref:2430891)   #43
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Right, so in that entry list there are about 7 - 10 drivers that are very capable race winners in their own right. Over the last 2 or 3 seasons the BTCC has had 7-10 different race winners each season.
The BTCC and the success ballast & reverse grids is very good at creating multiple race winners over 30 races. That doesnt mean there actually has been 7-10 true driver champion contenders. And IMO Icebaby is spot on when he sais Plato, Jackson & Turner are at least half the people that would be able to at least give Gio a run for his money for the title. So adding Plato back into the mix is a huge + for 2009 BTCC.

Quote:
And each year the season has gone down to the last round or two.
And before the Plato announcement, #2 and #3 from last year, that was the main reason things was not decided much earlier than last 2 rounds, was not on the list of entries...
Old 1 Apr 2009, 21:23 (Ref:2430892)   #44
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Ok, you are getting yourself way to confused.
Just because you design your own car doesnt mean you are not an independent.
A team can be both. Dynamics and Arena are listed as both independents and constructors.
If you can then fair enough. My query is related to the fact that TD and Arena are listed as (-) for class, VXR as (M) whereas RML are listed as (I) along with Motorbase, RAC etc.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 21:58 (Ref:2430916)   #45
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
The BTCC and the success ballast & reverse grids is very good at creating multiple race winners over 30 races. That doesnt mean there actually has been 7-10 true driver champion contenders.
With respect you should really read properly what is written before you comment on someones post. I certainly didn't say there were "7-10 true driver champion contenders".

I said; "there are about 7 - 10 drivers that are very capable race winners in their own right".
Old 1 Apr 2009, 22:01 (Ref:2430920)   #46
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was going to put in in the rumors & stories thread but it's closed!

ALAN MORRISSON IN A 2ND ARENA CAR!!!

Tempus only have an option on a 2nd car which they hav'nt taken up yet. The Plato car is being run by RML themself
Old 1 Apr 2009, 22:28 (Ref:2430935)   #47
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you can then fair enough. My query is related to the fact that TD and Arena are listed as (-) for class, VXR as (M) whereas RML are listed as (I) along with Motorbase, RAC etc.
I think it's probably down to them not commiting to a full season and that whilst it is RML running the car and they did build the car I'd see it as similar to RAC and Motorbase with the Beemers, money to run the team but no funding for development etc?
Old 1 Apr 2009, 23:16 (Ref:2430956)   #48
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
With respect you should really read properly what is written before you comment on someones post. I certainly didn't say there were "7-10 true driver champion contenders".
I understood Icebabys post as refering to the very thin ranks of top of the crop drivers in 2009, and in that light took your response as you completely not agreeing to that.

I apologize if I misunderstood your intended meaning.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2431283)   #49
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paul O'Neill will miss this weekends rounds due to "work commitments"...

Hmm, as he was quite early in being confirmed in the Sunshine team I wonder how he didn't manage to re-arrange his 'work commitments'.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 11:58 (Ref:2431314)   #50
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a real shame for Paul, I think he can really show what the Integra's still got. It's a shame that with both O'Neill's Integra and Hughes' MG on the sidelines this weekend we've got two funded cars doing nothing. Surely they could find someone for that car and get it out for the races.