Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 23 Sep 2010, 18:38 (Ref:2763657)   #201
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
Was that engine based on the current LMP2 engine?
Huh? What current Toyota LMP-2 engine would that be??

L.P.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 20:06 (Ref:2763706)   #202
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
If HPD can make the Acura LMP2 engine last 24 hours, being the same engine in the Honda Super GT cars, then the Toyota engine should last. In the past few years, 3.4 flat crank V8s have shown decent reliablity in endurance races.

Even Audi can make a similar engine by de-stroking their DTM engine, or, for that matter, take the turbochargers off the R8's engine and de-stroke it from 3.6 to 3.4 liters. Porsche has taken the 3.4 engine out of the RS Spyder, increased it's capacity to 3.6 liters for the 718 Spyder hybrid, and can reverse that to to original specs.

Most 3.4 V8s are purpose built engines anyways, the exeception being the Nissan Super GT engine, which is in it's simpliest from a de-bored and de-stroked VK45.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 02:25 (Ref:2763805)   #203
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
If HPD can make the Acura LMP2 engine last 24 hours, being the same engine in the Honda Super GT cars, then the Toyota engine should last. In the past few years, 3.4 flat crank V8s have shown decent reliablity in endurance races.

Even Audi can make a similar engine by de-stroking their DTM engine, or, for that matter, take the turbochargers off the R8's engine and de-stroke it from 3.6 to 3.4 liters. Porsche has taken the 3.4 engine out of the RS Spyder, increased it's capacity to 3.6 liters for the 718 Spyder hybrid, and can reverse that to to original specs.

Most 3.4 V8s are purpose built engines anyways, the exeception being the Nissan Super GT engine, which is in it's simpliest from a de-bored and de-stroked VK45.
Isn't the Honda Super GT engine a V10?
Old 24 Sep 2010, 04:54 (Ref:2763819)   #204
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Isn't the Honda Super GT engine a V10?
No. All cars in GT500 must run a front engined 3.4L V8.

Slightly OTT but I always thought the HPD LMP2 motor was heavily based on Honda's Indycar engine. ?
Old 24 Sep 2010, 05:02 (Ref:2763821)   #205
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
No. All cars in GT500 must run a front engined 3.4L V8.

Slightly OTT but I always thought the HPD LMP2 motor was heavily based on Honda's Indycar engine. ?

Clean sheet!

L.P.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 05:21 (Ref:2763824)   #206
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Clean sheet!

L.P.
Your right! I just realised I got it round the wrong way, the V8 that Honda uses in Super GT is the Indycar engine (or closely related to it).
Old 24 Sep 2010, 11:07 (Ref:2763947)   #207
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's sad for the guys at Rebellion that the news has leaked out before they were ready to make an announcement. We criticise Autosport for their lack of sportscar coverage and when they do dig up a scoop, they don't respect the wishes of the team concerned. The announcement wasn't due for another month.

Shame on Autosport (Gary Watkins?) for the disservice they do to sportscar racing. And this, just a few weeks after Gary Watkins described the excellent privateer teams that make up the small, but highly entertaining prototype field in the ALMS as '.....a motley collection of privateers'. The way Autosport goes about its sportscar coverage is just wrong!
Old 24 Sep 2010, 11:57 (Ref:2763970)   #208
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
It's sad for the guys at Rebellion that the news has leaked out before they were ready to make an announcement. We criticise Autosport for their lack of sportscar coverage and when they do dig up a scoop, they don't respect the wishes of the team concerned. The announcement wasn't due for another month.

Shame on Autosport (Gary Watkins?) for the disservice they do to sportscar racing. And this, just a few weeks after Gary Watkins described the excellent privateer teams that make up the small, but highly entertaining prototype field in the ALMS as '.....a motley collection of privateers'. The way Autosport goes about its sportscar coverage is just wrong!
Agreed. I'd heard about this and was well aware it was very off the record at the moment.

I generally don't like Watkins either - partisan and biased in particular directions it would seem based on race reports - but to be fair to him, if the guy from Toyota blabbed on the record what was he meant to do? Wait for someone else to print the on record comment?

Ben
Old 24 Sep 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2763983)   #209
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post

Its been wrong for the last 16 years at least . I find it a joke that the mag is called what it is . It should be called F1 & Rally . I reckon either Max or Bernie own it anyway , due to the pathetic coverage sportscar racing has had within its pages , probably since the end of Group C .
Old 24 Sep 2010, 12:44 (Ref:2763984)   #210
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Its been wrong for the last 16 years at least . I find it a joke that the mag is called what it is . It should be called F1 & Rally . I reckon either Max or Bernie own it anyway , due to the pathetic coverage sportscar racing has had within its pages , probably since the end of Group C .
You are lucky, in italy we have only AutoSprint mag (in Italian), the real name should be Auto-FerrariF1-Sprint :-(
Old 24 Sep 2010, 14:12 (Ref:2764011)   #211
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
if the guy from Toyota blabbed on the record what was he meant to do? Wait for someone else to print the on record comment?
I have to say that's exactly right - an extraordinary thing for a supplier to do to a customer though!
Old 24 Sep 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2764089)   #212
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Months back Rebellion were talking about Porsche as a possible engine option so something out of the ordinary was expected.

I don't think anything can be kept secret nowadays, a pair of ALMS Audis were hinted at months back, then there's the petrol hybrid Peugeot, open top Aston Martin, Nissan Le Mans interest etc.

Now it seems the AF Corse Ferrari prototype rumour is gathering legs and whats the betting a Lola-Jaguar and ALMS bound Aston is around the corner.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 22:11 (Ref:2764209)   #213
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
but to be fair to him, if the guy from Toyota blabbed on the record what was he meant to do? Wait for someone else to print the on record comment?

Ben
Yep, that's very fair comment. If Mr Toyota hadn't coughed, there would be no issue, assuming the information divulged was on the record.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 07:10 (Ref:2764292)   #214
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Clean sheet!

L.P.
Clean Sheet as in its based on a still-born IRL engine.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 10:07 (Ref:2764329)   #215
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It takes 5 seconds to google Autosport's publisher and owner. But then you would have to take off your tinfoil hat.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 10:31 (Ref:2764333)   #216
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
It takes 5 seconds to google Autosport's publisher and owner. But then you would have to take off your tinfoil hat.
I think it was a joke man........

No more AS bashing here please - plenty of scope for that in Armchair where it's been going on for years.....
Old 25 Sep 2010, 11:29 (Ref:2764347)   #217
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Have a laugh dude , I was commenting on the pro F1 & Rally attitude with regard to Autosport magazine .

No need to throw bitter comments in my direction !!!

Maybe if you dont have anything nice to say , you better just say nothing . But as you are probably not a native English speaking person , I shall put in down to ignorance of humor .

But Finland wouldnt have much of that , with that dour suicidel attitude !!!
Old 25 Sep 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2764369)   #218
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Badger.. That was a bit out of line. Aysedasi just said no bashing, so why not just let it rest, as humor is something which differ a lot from person to person, so misunderstanding is easy. Generalizing on a person just because of his nationality doesn't belong on such a high level forum as this.
Deggis, same to you, if you are confused wether it's a joke or a serious remark, just ask for clarification. Maybe the joke dies, but we won't have the bad attitude we have right now.

As Badger says, if you have nothing good or relevant to add, then don't add anything.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2764376)   #219
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Have a laugh dude , I was commenting on the pro F1 & Rally attitude with regard to Autosport magazine .
Well, sorry then. You have made this reference to "Bernie & Max" so often and also in serious context that it is hard to tell when you are joking.

Quote:

Old 25 Sep 2010, 14:54 (Ref:2764400)   #220
The Badger
Veteran

Ok ..... no worries .

And CTD ..... I was responding to a comment made at me . I have that right .

Anyway ..... its all good now .

I dont like the Bernie & Max show , in general their attitude towards sportscar racing , what they did to it and dont believe they seriously enjoy seeing manufacturers in sportscars when they could be in F1 . So , in that respect , I always am serious what I say about that pair of WxxxxxS !!!

I used to watch F1 when it was a show .... but it honestly hasnt been a show for 15 years or so .
Old 25 Sep 2010, 20:24 (Ref:2764486)   #221
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
New user here, but have been lurking around for a while, I'm a toyota fan, so this news is interesting enough that i have to comment. I've been waiting to see Toyota is some form of 'recognized' motorsport since it left F1. I realize Nascar is good for america, but circles aren't my thing. Sports cars are. With this news are we sure it's the SuperGT engine? If it is anything about that engine need to be changed? Restrictor sizing or anything like that? If this is a P1 engine what HP should we expect from it, or any other new reg. P1 engine for that matter? I realize these engines make in order of at least 500hp+ in SuperGT but aren't they restricted to equal engine output?
Old 25 Sep 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2764488)   #222
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
With this news are we sure it's the SuperGT engine? If it is anything about that engine need to be changed? Restrictor sizing or anything like that?
We're not sure it's the Super GT engine, only that it's a 3.4 l V8 (just like that one), so unless it's based on another architecture, it might indeed be the Super GT engine. Nobody knows yet. Also, restrictor diameters are probably slightly different from Super GT to LMP.

Quote:
If this is a P1 engine what HP should we expect from it, or any other new reg. P1 engine for that matter? I realize these engines make in order of at least 500hp+ in SuperGT but aren't they restricted to equal engine output?
New P1 engines? Probably anything from 530 to 570-580bhp. Official ACO target is around 550, with 400 being the intended power figure for LMP2.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2764489)   #223
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In the article the Toyota guy says the engine should have no problem reaching the 530-550bhp needed for P1, which I assume is the public figure all manufactuers will quote.

Unofficially I would think they are aiming for 570-600bhp if the restrictors are anything like those Highcroft are using in the ALMS, who are rumoured to have 585bhp from their HPD 3.4 V8.

All of the P2 engines maufactuers seem to be quoting 450-480bhp+.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 20:51 (Ref:2764491)   #224
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
So in reality they're making more power than what they claim, which is usually the case am I right? It's still quite a push back from what the current P1 cars make in terms of power though. I assume they make at least 620-650hp currently. So are they reducing weight of the P1 cars or are they just cutting back power for the fact that KERS is making an entrance?
Old 25 Sep 2010, 21:09 (Ref:2764497)   #225
JAG
Veteran

England
Engine power is all guestimates.

I'd say current diesels have 730bhp when pushed and the best petrol P1's around 680bhp.

The 3.4 V8's and 2.0T's to be used in P1 next year could put out over 600bhp dependent on restrictors.

In recent years these engines were pegged back with ever smaller restrictors to maintain a more distinct speed difference between P1 and P2. These smaller engines can be allowed to breath a little more when they move into the top class.

I'm not sure how KERS will work but from what I've read the electric motor could give cars a great deal of puch out of the corners in addition to helping MPG. As each year passes I wouldn't be suprised to see the ACO allowing more scope to generate power via KERS which is why I think it's wise to jump on this bandwagon from day one.

Aston Martin were reported to be pushing for a minimum weight of 850kg for non KERS cars.

Last edited by JAG; 25 Sep 2010 at 21:30.