Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 4 Jul 2013, 01:47 (Ref:3273645)   #1
kevin993
Rookie

kevin993 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LM Hospitality Options

With LM and Nurburgring so close together next year, it seems like the time has come to visit LeMans. Need some feedback to help in the planning.

Has anybody made arrangements to go through one of the hospitality providers like Oreca, RP24, Oak Racing, Aston Martin, etc.? Know these are more pricey than camping, so let's just stipulate that there are a lot of options and we're just checking these out for now.

From looking on the web, they vary in price and features, but have viewing terraces, pit suite access, food, etc. It can be difficult to tell from the web what kinds of experiences they offer, viewing lines from terraces, etc.

Any experiences or observations?

Thanks!
Kevin
Old 4 Jul 2013, 08:03 (Ref:3273707)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I was not even aware that you could buy hospitality packages from the race teams, hospitality is usually provided free for potential clients or supporters
Old 4 Jul 2013, 08:56 (Ref:3273719)   #3
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
You can buy them through Just tickets and Thomas Cook and other agencies but not, to my knowledge through any of the race teams:

But I think you would miss some of the atmosphere. To me a good grandstand seat and good walking shoes are all you need
Old 4 Jul 2013, 09:09 (Ref:3273726)   #4
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I was not even aware that you could buy hospitality packages from the race teams, hospitality is usually provided free for potential clients or supporters
I seem to remember Oak advertising hospitality packages for sale in 2012, don't think they involved travel / accommodation, so essentially it was a paddock pass which would get you into the hospitality area in the paddock and in the bits over the pits.

Expensive, and in all honesty not certain it especially constitutes vast value for money. Horses for courses obviously, but not something we've ever seriously looked at.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 10:20 (Ref:3273749)   #5
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you can't find anything, I'll be able to rustle up something I reckon. (Welcome to the forum by the way, Kevin!)

Gingers4Justice Corporate Events offers you a once-in-a-lifetime visit to the 2014 Le Mans 24 hours.

In our unique camping complex inside the Houx campsite, we offer unbeatable luxury. Using the latest in tent technology from Halfords and a pop up Gazebo that will probably survive the week's weather, we can offer you comfort like no one else.

With free travel around the circuit in the highly desirable Mark 2 Fiat Panda, a seasoned Le Mans expert will be your guide as you tour the circuit's best viewing areas and sample the best local food (including the much-famed Sandwich Americain Merquez).

On site, we offer barbequed meat sourced from a local retailer (most likely Super U), with a wide range of alcohol on offer to sip as you watch the organised (!) firework display put on by the Dutch people camping a few feet away from us.

Just £1000 euros per head (I may be talked into doing a special ten-tenths rate of £990).
Old 4 Jul 2013, 10:38 (Ref:3273761)   #6
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
If you can't find anything, I'll be able to rustle up something I reckon. (Welcome to the forum by the way, Kevin!)

Gingers4Justice Corporate Events offers you a once-in-a-lifetime visit to the 2014 Le Mans 24 hours.

In our unique camping complex inside the Houx campsite, we offer unbeatable luxury. Using the latest in tent technology from Halfords and a pop up Gazebo that will probably survive the week's weather, we can offer you comfort like no one else.

With free travel around the circuit in the highly desirable Mark 2 Fiat Panda, a seasoned Le Mans expert will be your guide as you tour the circuit's best viewing areas and sample the best local food (including the much-famed Sandwich Americain Merquez).

On site, we offer barbequed meat sourced from a local retailer (most likely Super U), with a wide range of alcohol on offer to sip as you watch the organised (!) firework display put on by the Dutch people camping a few feet away from us.

Just £1000 euros per head (I may be talked into doing a special ten-tenths rate of £990).
Old 4 Jul 2013, 10:40 (Ref:3273762)   #7
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:

At €1,000 terrifyingly that might actually be a persuasive option for some...
Old 4 Jul 2013, 14:12 (Ref:3273846)   #8
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Before I hand over the money does that include luxury toilet and shower facilities and a guarantee of good weather or your money back
Old 4 Jul 2013, 14:30 (Ref:3273860)   #9
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Before I hand over the money does that include luxury toilet and shower facilities and a guarantee of good weather or your money back
I would be willing to take clients in the Panda to the Super U in Eccomoy whenever they fancy a visit to the bog...the toilets in there are lovely, and there's a nice drive along the way.

As for a shower? Well, we're staying at the Houx campsite, home to the shower block which features in the opening scenes of the famous film Le Mans. That's right, showers which have made an appearance in a Steve McQueen film....

As for the weather, give me the money and I'll see what can be arranged
Old 4 Jul 2013, 15:24 (Ref:3273881)   #10
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will you be offering anything for nurburgring the weekend after? My father and I want to do both....
Old 4 Jul 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3273884)   #11
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My wife and I are looking to swap houses with someone near London so that she and our son can stay there, while my father and I venture off to lemans and then nurburgring. I will probably return to London the week in between, but my dad wants to tour the Audi factory.

If anyone has ideas, information to help us plan this, it would be great. I was at lemans in 2005, and loved it, but I was by myself and a bit overwhelmed. A few Brits took me under their wings and took care of me. My father is in his late seventies, we are going to need a bit more comfort and a place to rest than when I went before, and shelter from potential rain.

Nurburgring, I have no clue. Should i fly from london? train? hitch a ride? where should we stay, ideally, would like a guided stay. Any and all help appreciated...
Old 4 Jul 2013, 16:34 (Ref:3273900)   #12
kevin993
Rookie

What a generous offer! I knew that the gang here would provide a warm welcome and a huge discount on a quality Le Mans package! We will carefully evaluate our options and get back to you with all deliberate speed.

In all seriousness, it does look like there are a few options - part of the appeal is for a warm, dry place to retreat for a breather from the crowds or for shelter if the weather gets ugly. There are also some better photo locations from some of the viewing terraces which can get sight lines up and over the fences.

Our thought was to pound around the grounds on Wed and Thursday, but consider a hospitality package for the race. Early days, but just considering options. Of course, we need to save some energy for the N24 the next week too...

Good to be out of the shadows here at last. Have lurked for a long time.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 16:41 (Ref:3273909)   #13
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin993 View Post
What a generous offer! I knew that the gang here would provide a warm welcome and a huge discount on a quality Le Mans package! We will carefully evaluate our options and get back to you with all deliberate speed.

In all seriousness, it does look like there are a few options - part of the appeal is for a warm, dry place to retreat for a breather from the crowds or for shelter if the weather gets ugly. There are also some better photo locations from some of the viewing terraces which can get sight lines up and over the fences.

Our thought was to pound around the grounds on Wed and Thursday, but consider a hospitality package for the race. Early days, but just considering options. Of course, we need to save some energy for the N24 the next week too...

Have you looked at the ACO Enclosure?

I think it's free for ACO members, and certainly if you know an ACO member, you can pay 15 euros to get it.

Inside there's plenty of screens to watch the race with timing and scoring sheets available every hour. You can get your champers there too, and a decent, cold beer which is, somewhat confusingly, cheaper than the beer you can buy trackside.

It has its own viewing spot just after the Dunlop bridge on the inside of the Esses.

Downsides are that there's no toilets there, but you can find some literally just outside. Also, it can sometimes get a bit crowded, and frustratingly it is closed for most of the night, the time I would always like to use it most.

So it's far from perfect, but from the noises you're making, it's better than nothing for what you want I reckon. Just something to bare in mind!
Old 4 Jul 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3274020)   #14
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:

A decent option for this might be to go for T34 as a grandstand - it's great for photography, being well above the catch fencing etc and has some lovely opportunities for peering down into the pitlane. It's also well covered (so long as Saturday afternoon isn't screamingly sunny) and the toilets, being a touch less travelled, are fine. Warmth? Well that what the likes of Berghaus and North Face exist to supply if the weather turns nasty...

If creature comforts are important look into getting a nice hotel to stay in. They are a little at a premium in the Le Mans region, but they do exist, particularly if you're willing to cast your net a little wider. With this level of notice you should be able to sort something - please don't hesitate to drop me a PM if you want specific recommendations.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 00:11 (Ref:3274082)   #15
kevin993
Rookie

I haven't looked into the ACO idea, but will do so. That sounds like a possibility - especially if it has a decent viewing spot by the Dunlop bridge.

Spot on with T34, but have two follow up questions:
1) Is it really open with a generic general admission ticket? With the pit suites below, it wasn't clear to me whether T34 stands were really accessible.
2) How much can you see below of the pit lane? I can see photos showing a fence at the base of the grandstands, but can't tell how much you can lean over and have a look down.

One other question - on the Oreca website, they have a reference to hospitality down at the first Mulsanne chicane. I didn't realize that was accessible at all. Can you get there without going through a hospitality program?

The creature comforts aren't terribly important - happy to rough it and have done that for many, many races at other tracks. The hospitality idea offered some unique photo ops in light of the miles of fencing, but also offered some added benefits of parking, warmth and protection from rain.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 04:06 (Ref:3274106)   #16
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Spot on with T34, but have two follow up questions:
1) Is it really open with a generic general admission ticket? With the pit suites below, it wasn't clear to me whether T34 stands were really accessible.
It might be a tad tricky to get there on the Saturday/Sunday, given the paddock and everything (they were checking passes at the top of the stairs on the Saturday, not sure exactly how that worked), but up to and including Friday the main paddock alleyway is open to everyone with a GA ticket, so during practice and qualifying you can just stroll past drivers, team personnel etc...
Old 5 Jul 2013, 06:06 (Ref:3274125)   #17
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I imagine that Travel Destinations - http://www.lemansrace.com - will be doing some kind of organised combined trip. It'll come at a premium (as most things with TD do), but worth considering if you're looking for everything to be taken out of your hands.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 06:37 (Ref:3274131)   #18
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
protection from rain.
Please dont start that already ....... it wont rain next year
Old 5 Jul 2013, 07:40 (Ref:3274141)   #19
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
T34 isn't free with a General Admission ticket, but it's not eyewateringly expensive either. As Victor suggests, you can readily wander in there (and all the other grandstands) during practice and qualifying, but by then it's a bit late to decide that that's where you want to go...

Quote:
2) How much can you see below of the pit lane? I can see photos showing a fence at the base of the grandstands, but can't tell how much you can lean over and have a look down.
View's good - if not terribly varied. You're comfortably over the fence with an unobstructed view of the start-finish straight, and once the race is a couple of hours old the crowd will thin out and you can readily move down towards the front, lean over the edge and look down into the pit lane. The majority of the car shots in this album were taken from T34.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 08:27 (Ref:3274151)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
T34 is excellent, particularly if you have a camera - but it's certainly not free - except during practice.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 08:37 (Ref:3274157)   #21
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
T34 is excellent, particularly if you have a camera - but it's certainly not free - except during practice.
However... it is one of the cheaper grandstand options, a grandstand seat in T34 is something like 60 or 70 Euros while seats in grandstands 19-20-21 are 100 Euros.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 08:43 (Ref:3274158)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very true Victor - and very good value indeed!
Old 5 Jul 2013, 16:33 (Ref:3274345)   #23
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Please dont start that already ....... it wont rain next year

What!?

Not at all? From January to December?

This is news indeed!
Old 5 Jul 2013, 17:19 (Ref:3274354)   #24
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
What!?

Not at all? From January to December?

This is news indeed!
You clearly havent got it it:

The year runs for a week in June - everything that happens before and after is just waiting....
Old 5 Jul 2013, 19:17 (Ref:3274398)   #25
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
now i wonder where i have heard that before