Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 2 Apr 2006, 18:52 (Ref:1568269)   #1
Neil Warland
Rookie

England
Woking, Surrey
Neil Warland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Age requirement

Probably been asked many times before, but what's the minimum age limit for someone to be trackside (as a non-active participant ie not going out to incidents on a live track)
Old 2 Apr 2006, 19:30 (Ref:1568337)   #2
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Our present guidelines are 16 - mandated by our insurance arrangements (both MSA and BMMC).

The MSA is looking into a cadet marshallling scheme and we MAY be able to bring this down, but at present I am afraid all clubs I know use the age of 16 as their limit. Alternatives are to use juniors in the paddock and assembly areas - anywhere where the public can also gain admittance.

Regards

Chris Hobson
National Chairman BMMC
Old 2 Apr 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1568359)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just got me thinking...........

One for Chris, again I think.........

We don't have under-16's trackside, probably as the Insurers/Clubs etc don't think that they are "Mature" (Used that word - don't know if it's really right!) enough to be dealing with incidents/accidents and the like, or perhaps they think they can't hold concentration long enough to flag.

But, there doesn't appear to be a "Cut-Off" age limit.

What I'm getting at is, it's perfectly OK to have a 65yr old running onto the track but not a 15yr old.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that 65yr olds are incapable of the job but surely there are 15yr olds (And possibly younger) that are grown up enough to be given a responsibility?

Any thoughts?
Old 2 Apr 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1568450)   #4
Neil Warland
Rookie

England
Woking, Surrey
Neil Warland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Chris.

That's an interesting point Mark. My friend (who's 15) I'm sure could do a far better job than a few marshal's I've come across over the years but I suppose you have to set a cut-off point somewhere.
Old 2 Apr 2006, 20:55 (Ref:1568458)   #5
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know that many "Ageing" marshals take to Observing as a way of keeping involved but in a less physical kind of way (Some become MSA Stewards! )
But, I know several Incident Marshals who must be in their 60's - and they're doing a fine job.
I also have a Nephew who is very interested in joining us marshals - but he's no desire to be a paddock/assembly marshal - he wants to be on the bank.
He's a very level-headed lad - very mature in his way of thinking and is physically capable of mucking in with the rest of the car-pushers!
Old 3 Apr 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1568838)   #6
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
reguarding age, we have one at the age of 11 keen as listens well, does what he is told and stays out of trouble. and always with the experienced people. and can run a pit excit but always with experienced persons.not put on a busy post but somewhere in relative safty.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 09:52 (Ref:1568844)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
But, I know several Incident Marshals who must be in their 60's - and they're doing a fine job.
Oi, I resemble that remark......the first part of it!

...and I was the youngest at Deer Leap on Saturday! Well, not quite, but I think everybody who was on the post is well into his fifties.

Quote:
He's a very level-headed lad - very mature in his way of thinking and is physically capable of mucking in with the rest of the car-pushers!
The key words there are 'very mature'; unfortunately, many of his peers are very immature. Over the last few years I've been helping with year 10 & 11 GCSE engineering classes in the local school. I've found that some 14- & 15-year-olds are very mature, responsible near-adults, others are irresponsible little children. The one thing lacking in many people at that age is the sense of self-preservation which prevents them taking unnecessary risks (although to be fair that's something which is not very much in evidence in some people much older than that); in a volunteer environment it's difficult to be selective about who should & who shouldn't be allowed to do a particular duty. Frustrating as it is, I think the 'apprenticeship' in assembly or wherever gives kids a good grounding in the requirements of the job before they go trackside.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 11:25 (Ref:1568918)   #8
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
im pretty sure that kids would be responible enough....when theyre younger they tend to listen to adults a bit more....aslong as theyre intersted!....like chris at oulton.....how old is he now...12/13....works great in the paddock cos hes keen. however one point to make about people being out on the bank...i wouldnt have any objections to marshalling with kids BUT....id serously doubt their ability to push cars outta gravel traps, plus if theyre was a bad accident and they got hurt i dont know if id be able to handle a kid knocked out on the floor next to me!....and wouldnt like to be in their parents shoes either...same goes for kids in racing...still think they should only be able to race karts till 16...just in case the worst happens.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 11:31 (Ref:1568924)   #9
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And the worst couldn't happen in karting?
Old 3 Apr 2006, 15:43 (Ref:1569154)   #10
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems strange that you have to be 16 to marshal yet you only need be 14 to race!.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1569175)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs
It seems strange that you have to be 16 to marshal yet you only need be 14 to race!.
Having seen the antics of some 14-year-old racers, I can understand why!
Old 3 Apr 2006, 16:27 (Ref:1569197)   #12
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Mark Mitchell]

What I'm getting at is, it's perfectly OK to have a 65yr old running onto the track but not a 15yr old.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that 65yr olds are incapable of the job but surely there are 15yr olds (And possibly younger) that are grown up enough to be given a responsibility?

QUOTE]

Any more comments like that Mr Mitchell and I'll give you a clip round the ear! ( If I can manouvre the zimmer frame into the obs box)
Old 3 Apr 2006, 16:36 (Ref:1569202)   #13
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
true ian but its lower speeds and less energy goin into a crash at those speeds...
Old 3 Apr 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1569226)   #14
Davie-c
Racer

Scotland
Armadale,Scotland
Davie-c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A local MSA licenced kart track that I used to marshal at up until 2 years ago used the chief marshals grandson and friends as marshals and they where only 14 at the time.All they done was sit down on the chairs that where at each post.When I mentioned that it would be better if they stood up so they could see what was going on.All I got from them was abuse and that the chief marshal said it was alright for them to sit down.So I decided to stop going there as in my mind it was only a matter of time before something happened to competitors due to the lack of flags that where getting put out when needed.That was 1 of the reasons why I left.
Car Scrutineer
BMMC Member
Old 3 Apr 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1569327)   #15
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmm. Let me see now. If we banned marshals in my personal social grouping (over 50, fat and ugly) how many would we have left to run trackside?
Old 3 Apr 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1569393)   #16
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrammy

Any more comments like that Mr Mitchell and I'll give you a clip round the ear! ( If I can manouvre the zimmer frame into the obs box)
But Phil,
I had you down as a sprightly 34 yr old!
Old 3 Apr 2006, 19:56 (Ref:1569397)   #17
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see all the time the signs in the pit lane saying no persons under the age of 16, so how do the T car/Ginetta and the other one i can't remember, drivers get into thier cars? or do they have special dispensation??
Old 3 Apr 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1569489)   #18
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccooke
I see all the time the signs in the pit lane saying no persons under the age of 16, so how do the T car/Ginetta and the other one i can't remember, drivers get into thier cars? or do they have special dispensation??

This is a very grey area but I remember when the T-cars first started off. There was a lot of discussion about what we should do with the drivers if they got out of the cars in the pit lane. Tom Chilton (at least I think it was Tom Chilton - my memory's fading with age now!) solved the problem for us one day.

He'd had a bit of an off and discretion being the better part of valour decided to retire from the race. He came into the pit lane, stopped his car, got out, looked at me and said "Ah, yes, right, I'll leave now" and promptly left the pit lane.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1569536)   #19
ascarracinguk
Veteran

no offence to kart marshals but davie i dont think that was jus the kids fault....most kart marshals tend to be a little laid back in my opinion too....not jus the kiddie kart marshals
Old 4 Apr 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1570128)   #20
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just got me thinking...........

One for Chris, again I think.........

We don't have under-16's trackside, probably as the Insurers/Clubs etc don't think that they are "Mature" (Used that word - don't know if it's really right!) enough to be dealing with incidents/accidents and the like, or perhaps they think they can't hold concentration long enough to flag.

But, there doesn't appear to be a "Cut-Off" age limit.

Any thoughts?
Yesterday, (Monday) this OVER 65 year old SIX times ran down Paddock Hill, (his Post), to, at times past Post 4a, to rescue Formula BMWs who preferred the kitty-litter to the black stuff, and climbed all the way back behind the tyre wall to Post 3. When Octagon were in charge at Brands, it was asked that a Stannah Stir-lift be installed, but we still await!!!
I have asked that we follow Marshal's at Tapo in New Zealand, and sign-out the quad bike from Engineering!!! Do not knock the over-65s, most of you will still have to be engaged in full-time employment if this present regime retains power, till you are 70 years old!!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1570877)   #21
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know that many "Ageing" marshals take to Observing as a way of keeping involved but in a less physical kind of way (Some become MSA Stewards! )
Or even judges!

But don't care.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 23:32 (Ref:1570986)   #22
BigDaddy
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
BigDaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I started my officaling days at the age of 12. I was working in race control as a 'goofer' I use to run around taking forms and chrage sheets all over the place. I wasn't allowed on track as an official until I was 14, but the rules have changed since then, I dont think there was even a rule about ages back then.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 02:58 (Ref:1571053)   #23
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In Australia CAMS has a 16yo age limit for trackside and must have a signed parental/guardian consent form for under 18's. 12-16yo can work in non trackside areas such as paddock & admin.

I don't know what AASA does and should find out I suppose as I have a nearly 6yo nephew who want to help his Uncle Paul already
Old 5 Apr 2006, 03:17 (Ref:1571060)   #24
BigDaddy
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
BigDaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never signed any forms, and CAMS knew exactly who I was and what I was doing. Obviously the rules have changed.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1571258)   #25
Gordon Knight
Racer

England
Monton, Eccles, Manchester
Gordon Knight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This very subject was discussed at a recent BRSCC officials meeting, due to an influx
of "young prospective marshals" from Myerscough College. If I understood the regs
correctly...If a minor ( under 18) goes on post trackside then a responsible person
ie. Observer or I/O has to formally accept responsibility for that minor in loco parentis.
Personally I think they have enough on their plates without that added responsibility.