Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:54 (Ref:1038466)   #251
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
I'm heading for Sonoma in 7 hours!!! (sorry to go OT!)
Enjoy yourself, Mags!!!!!

I wish I were heading out west to see it.....

I'm pulling for Dyson to make it two years in a row....and for Flying Lizard to get back to the top of the GT podium....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 19:03 (Ref:1038472)   #252
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And you dont think I'm pulling for the Lizards?? (see my tag...) I have an interview scheduled with Butch L as well. Wish me luck!
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 21 Jul 2004, 19:19 (Ref:1042414)   #253
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Update:

Latest from the Grapevine is that OWRS is in a proccess of finalizing a three year extension for Toronto and a two year one for Vancouver... and ofcourse we know that Portland is history = http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...id=3&nid=96244

zerO
Old 21 Jul 2004, 19:23 (Ref:1042416)   #254
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zerO
Update:

Latest from the Grapevine is that OWRS is in a proccess of finalizing a three year extension for Toronto and a two year one for Vancouver... and ofcourse we know that Portland is history = http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...id=3&nid=96244

zerO
That's good news!!!!

Hope it does come to fruition....

Even if OWRS has to "self-promote" those events....

Because they will make $$$ off of both of those races in Canada...

Old 21 Jul 2004, 20:07 (Ref:1042456)   #255
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the Montreal Molson Indy?
Old 21 Jul 2004, 20:14 (Ref:1042465)   #256
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
What about the Montreal Molson Indy?

There atre two years left on the Montreal contract already, aren't there???

I thought I read that someplace...

Please advise, zer0

Old 21 Jul 2004, 20:32 (Ref:1042488)   #257
zerO
Veteran

^ 100% correct !!!

zerO
Old 23 Jul 2004, 19:44 (Ref:1044976)   #258
zerO
Veteran

This post really belongs in this thread... the Portland issue is over and done with...

Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
Macdaddy, I'm just not sure that's true. zerO has been keeping us up on all the rumors of people interested in doing something. But it seems that they're putting all this out to try to create a market and play a lot of folks off on each other. Might work in some cases. But if that's the case, why can't OWRS fill its '04 schedule and had to do a track rental at LVMS just to add a race? Why is South Africa history and Korea probably history? Why has Fittipaldi run all over South America looking for money for races and a team, unsuccessfully so far for the last six months? As the song goes, "a little less talk and a lot more action."

Hey Indycool,
you're 100% right - that's what OWRS is doing (a la Bernie, btw): they claim that there are over 40 international venues interested in Champ Car and are using that so everybody will play off each other... first Forsythe claimed that they are interested in only two European races: England and Spain... then KK goes "shopping" to Germany and France... then RSA government shoots down any chances for DURBAN race in South Africa (since then Stephen Watkins has moved on to DUBAI where he's a GM of the new A1 series)... then Soeul doesn't materialize for this year... now we have a Brazilian and Argentine races promised for next year... and very likely we will get two European races and a race in either DUBAI,UAE or DOHA,Qatar... so, that's 5 new ones + Korea ?!... and don't forget Las Vegas and St.Pete ?!... insert "lightbulb" here...

Now, Eidswick said we'll have a 16-17 race schedule nex year, GF and KK claim 18 is their goal, and PG lays safe by saying "16-18" -> some races on current schedule are definitely not making it next year - take a pick: Portland, Denver, Road America, and/or even Milwaukee and Laguna Seca... we definitely not know what the Troika is thinking, but by their actions regarding Portland we surely can see that Portland is the first one (from this year's schedule) to get axed ?!... will RA be next or Denver ???...

zerO
Old 2 Aug 2004, 15:07 (Ref:1054189)   #259
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Just a Note:

The Indy Star reported over the weekend that St. Petersburg is currently negotiating with the other series for a date in 2005....

and from the looks of it, the date would be around when CART ran there in 2003 on the calendar...

Supposedly, St. Pete wanted to send a delegation to the Indy 500 in May to lobby for a race, but they did not have a promoter in place....

Now they do....

It's the first mention I've heard that the other series is seriously considering an event down there....

Last edited by macdaddy; 2 Aug 2004 at 15:30.

Old 2 Aug 2004, 15:37 (Ref:1054207)   #260
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found on paddoctalk.com posted by a MSulka

08-01 Ahhh... the infamous fourth angle is...

That the IRL is in serious discussions with an unnamed promoter, but the announcement Tuesday will only reflect the discussions as a TBA.

07-31 According to an Autoweek story on Friday, the IRL was very interested in St. Petersburg. But given the latest information we are getting, this event will not be on the IRL schedule. There are at least three angles on this:

1. The details couldn't be worked out, and it is still a mess politically... Which could have implications regarding the return of Champ Cars to the city.

2. That the venue is more interested in a Champ Car race.

3. Or maybe St. Pete was interested, but the IRL wasn't at this time.

Personally - I like #2
Old 2 Aug 2004, 15:40 (Ref:1054208)   #261
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not really on to cut and paste posts out of other forums on to here, I wouldn't imagine!
Old 2 Aug 2004, 17:30 (Ref:1054259)   #262
racinthestreets
Racer

I didn't get it from the discussion forum - however, I get the drift
Old 6 Aug 2004, 08:51 (Ref:1057921)   #263
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Silverstone loses its F1 date it will be replased by London then it would be great see Champcars race in England again but if that can't happen wouldn't it be great seeing Champcars at Brands Hatch again but this time on the grand prix circuit.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 17:27 (Ref:1058512)   #264
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit is a great sounding idea, but its been made very clear that wouldn't happen anytime in the next few years unfortunately, safety issues being cited as the biggest concern.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 17:48 (Ref:1058535)   #265
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brands Hatch is no more dangerous than many circuits Champ Car runs on.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 18:13 (Ref:1058562)   #266
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be alsome watching champcars racing around Brands again the 2003 London Champcar Trophy was very popular with the british fans.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1062294)   #267
racinthestreets
Racer

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/12407/

OWRS spent $2.5 million and the promoter expects to lose half a million $$$. It is good that negotiations are on going. I fear that of the three Laguna, Road America and Portland at least one and possibly two will not be on the 2005 schedule. PG is confident of 16 races in 2005 - we should know by the end of the month what those 16 venues will be - hopefully.

Editted simply because the link didn't work at first.

Last edited by macdaddy; 10 Aug 2004 at 15:54.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 17:38 (Ref:1062385)   #268
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I had to pick one out of the three I would have to pick RA. It's a fast course, has a lot of tradition (not that the tradition of the other 2 don't matter), and always more often than not produces great racing.

That's just my opinion, and I live near Laguna!
Old 10 Aug 2004, 17:50 (Ref:1062399)   #269
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
racin, all three of those races could be gone. It sounds liike they're trying to work back with Portland but both RA and Laguna are in trouble.

And we won't have a schedule by the end of the month for several reasons: 1) Singleton and Molson aren't going to re-up anything in Canada until after the Montreal show and the merger with Coors may play a role in delaying things there; 2) The '04 schedule isn't done yet, and 3) Most importantly, OWRS has six races signed for '05 -- Mexico City, Monterrey, Surfers, Long Beach, Montreal and Cleveland (the latter as a self-promote). Genilozzi can talk all he wants about having a rough schedule of 21 races to pare down to 16, but in reality to get to 16, OWRS has to sign 10 more races.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 17:52 (Ref:1062400)   #270
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't it scare anyone that we don't have more races signed? It scares ME. It's AUGUST 10th.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 10 Aug 2004, 17:55 (Ref:1062403)   #271
Kicking-back
Veteran

Announcements need to be in place within a month I'd say to allow teams, drivers and sponsors plenty of time to plan for next year.

If not, well, we may see more defections.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 17:56 (Ref:1062404)   #272
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah it concerns me now... but if they can pull off Las Vegas, then things can happen. Have faith, everyone.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 18:48 (Ref:1062446)   #273
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Even if they do release the 2005 schedule I doubt it would be complete, there is bound to be a few TBA events in perticular the new market races.