Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CC News & Rumours

From Crashnet..... http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...id=3&nid=85647

WEDNESDAY 18TH FEBRUARY 2004

Silly season is almost over for the Champ Car World Series as drivers and teams finally realize whether or not they'll be around for the upcoming season. We'll try to delve into the rumour mill to mix things up and who knows, some of this might be true. Then again…

PK Racing lands Vasser

In a Crash.net exclusive, we have received word to look for an announcement soon that American Jimmy Vasser will be driving for Pollock/Kalkhoven Racing for the 2004 season. Vasser is slated to be working with engineer Steve Challis and a lot of the previous Patrick Racing Team personnel and equipment.

Gonzalez to partner Vasser at PK Racing

Roberto Gonzalez is also expected to be named as a driver with Pollock/Kalkhoven Racing in the near future. We are told that Gonzalez has a solid sponsor package lined up (Nextel Mexico) and the Mexican recently tested with the team at Sebring.

“I think that I can contribute a lot to this team,” Gonzalez said to Crash.net during the recent Sebring test. “I'm hoping that I can make this work out.”

Firman looks towards USA racing series

After the Jordan Grand Prix Team announced that Giorgio Pantano would be the teams second driver this season, Ralph Firman was left without a ride in Formula One. Now he might be heading to the United States next to look for a new one.

"I am concentrating my efforts on a new category of racing and while my first choice would be to race in a highly competitive single seater series such as ChampCar or IRL in America I am also fascinated to race in DTM because of the sophistication of the cars," confirmed Firman recently via a statement on his website. “I've also enjoyed working with Ford, a really impressive company, and if I move to ChampCar I look forward to linking with them again."

Golden arches to return to Champ Car

Gerald Forsythe ran a car in the 1999 CART series for driver Tony Kanaan with McDonalds Restaurants “Drive Thru” as the cars primary sponsor. Speculation has the restaurant giant returning to not only sponsor a team in the series but possibly as one of the series presenting sponsors.

Salo says he's close

According to reports out of Finland, Mika Salo is getting close to finalizing a deal that will see him driving for a different Champ Car team in 2004. Finnish TV station YLE reportedly heard from the driver and the rumour is he told them that he'll have an announcement declaring his 2004 plans soon.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 15:40 (Ref:878388)   #2
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The part the puzzles me is Salo not running for PK. I would like to see Vasser run for a team that can put a good car under him. I can't wait for this season to get rolling.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 23:18 (Ref:878811)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to see so many positive rumours nowadays.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 04:04 (Ref:878979)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glad to hear Vasser as one of the first confirmed for 2004. After his revitalization in 2003 he deserves it.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 12:00 (Ref:879250)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Presumably the PK choice came down to Vasser V Salo (Gonzales' car coming down to sponsorship specific to him) and they decided Jimmy's experience and impressive 2003 form made him the better choice.

The news about McDonalds is good too - a big name sponsorship deal would be a real help for promotion.

Firman's under discussion elsewhere - personally I think he'd be a good addition but there are better guys looking for rides.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 13:11 (Ref:879324)   #6
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Boots - are we reffering to Villenueve or Verstappen?
Old 19 Feb 2004, 13:57 (Ref:879372)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was thinking more of Robbie Kerr, Mario Haberfeld, Jon Fogarty, Felipe Giaffone and the likes. No one in CART can afford to run Jacques, and Jos has had his day.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 17:15 (Ref:879516)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
From Dave Despain and WindTunnel...
Mika Salo has said that the salary offered him by PK Racing wasn't enough to even pay his insurance.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 17:38 (Ref:879532)   #9
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The question is were they offering a share of the purse?:confused:

Last edited by racinthestreets; 19 Feb 2004 at 17:38.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 17:57 (Ref:879546)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When did Despain say that? What were they talking about in general? (whatever it was it sounds interesting)
Old 19 Feb 2004, 18:13 (Ref:879561)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was in a segment about 2 minutes long, right before a very long interview with Kenny Brack who looks terrible.

There was also a brief telephone call with Paul Tracy in which Despain asked him about going to NA$CAR (he said maybe in five years when he was too old for OWRS) and, incredibly, whether there he had any message for TG. With admirable restraint, PT said that he did not.

But I think everyone knew what that message probably would have been.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 19:02 (Ref:879613)   #12
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
It was in a segment about 2 minutes long, right before a very long interview with Kenny Brack who looks terrible.

There was also a brief telephone call with Paul Tracy in which Despain asked him about going to NA$CAR (he said maybe in five years when he was too old for OWRS) and, incredibly, whether there he had any message for TG. With admirable restraint, PT said that he did not.

But I think everyone knew what that message probably would have been.
Love Him.

And, I can inded now confirm, Jimmy is going to PK Racing.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 19 Feb 2004, 19:43 (Ref:879653)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Great news for Jimmy and PK. It appears to make RHR look pretty certain for the second RocketSports car. Havign 3 Americans in the field is good - I like to see an international field, but CART does need drivers from its core teritories, the IRL still has many more US drivers, and Canada and Mexico are well-represented already - but it'd be nice to have more.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 21:42 (Ref:879825)   #14
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully Valiante and Walker can make a go of it as well.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 03:52 (Ref:880058)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
I think more importantly than simply having 3 Americans is that they are three Americans who are excellent drivers (assuming Jimmy keeps the 2003 roll going) and it looks like they'll be on decent teams.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 12:06 (Ref:880332)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snrub that is it exactly. I don't care where they come from if they are excellent drivers and give us a good competition.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 16:54 (Ref:880609)   #17
racinthestreets
Racer

Well said. I want the best drivers - period! However, sponsors do dictate who the driver will be at times. We do have the teams that have the equipment for the driver that brings the sponsor. Remember TG's mantra - More American drivers on ovals.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 18:35 (Ref:880689)   #18
Jazner
Rookie

Jazner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always thought that having more US drivers would be a good thing for Champ Car. If you're going to base a series primarily in North America, it simply makes sense to have people who new fans can consider "home grown talent." It's especially nice to know that Vasser will be around. Any word on when Danica patrick is coming up to CC?

Also, what will mcDonald's involvement in the sport be? Are they reportedly purchasing sponsorship rights for the entire series, or simply a team? As far as teams go, it would make sense for the marketing folks of these teams to try and go after some of the sponsors that have been "priced out" of NASCAR. People like Sirius Satelite, Citgo, and Penzoil. With a new TV deal coming, they can get a heck of a bargin in Champ Car. Not only will they get much more bang for their buck, but there are fewer cars in the field, which means more TV face time for their company. Wal-Mart would be a great one. A lot of people go into those stores, as we all know. It'd be nice if there were Champ Car hats in the clothes department for them to buy. Again, exposure is everything.Plus, you know that company has the money to blow.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 20:44 (Ref:880792)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
From ChampWeb...
Quote:
We are getting very serious reports that Craig Pollock is out at PK Racing effective immediately. Replacing Pollock, is said to be Danny Pettit who is one of Kevin Kalkhoven's business partners in KPLJ Ventures LLC.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 21:35 (Ref:880826)   #20
racinthestreets
Racer

Another bomb if it is true. Someone in a thread has asked if Pollock was still around. I hope they release some good news soon. I have not seen published confirmation or announcement regarding Jimmy Vasser. Something like they did with RuSports announcement. Jimmy's announcement according to ESPN RPM was supposed to happen this week. Like I say, we need some more good news! And soon I hope.

Last edited by racinthestreets; 20 Feb 2004 at 21:36.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 21:37 (Ref:880827)   #21
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a fairly easy change for the sign shop.

Old 20 Feb 2004, 21:39 (Ref:880829)   #22
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Great stuff, SU!
Old 23 Feb 2004, 18:41 (Ref:883064)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Looking at AR1's homepage...
I don't have a subscription, so all I can read are the headlines...
Rumour: Frenchman signs with Rocketsports
Old 23 Feb 2004, 18:44 (Ref:883068)   #24
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Looking at AR1's homepage...
I don't have a subscription, so all I can read are the headlines...
Rumour: Frenchman signs with Rocketsports
I've seen that one coming for MONTHS!

Viva La Villenuve!!
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 23 Feb 2004, 18:47 (Ref:883072)   #25
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I wouldn't classify Villeneuve as a "Frenchman"...
PG has already signed Tags, and has stated that he's also gonna run an American (Vasser?)... So does this mean that he's expanding to three cars?