Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 5 Mar 2004, 23:02 (Ref:895380)   #26
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think I'm out of line. Sure the team was built around PT in 2003, but how does this explain his often mediocre medicre performances before 2002? My arguement is that Pat IS fast and that he is better than his performances would suggest. As for the favortism, compare RB to MS. The contrast in team favortism is was not that great, yet I would say Pat got blown away far more than RB ever has by MS.

I think you're taking the headcase comments a bit more harshly than I intended. I'm simply trying to imply that the certain mental aspects are what are holding him back. I did not mean to imply ego is really a part of it, despite the PT mention. I freely admit that I consider myself a headcase. Anyone who has watched any sport can testify as to the importance of mental momentum, etc. The level one is able to perform at is massively impacted by how your brain deals with things. Some people are able to perform better in situations that do not suit them than others. That's all I'm trying to say.

Out of pure curiously, who have you known who's competed in CART?
Old 5 Mar 2004, 23:40 (Ref:895414)   #27
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Patrick was there for one reason; to win the championship. And, barring that, to help Paul win. Pat had a new engineer in 2004, and a new chassis. YOU try winning with a brand new chassis after 5 years. The Lola is a completely different ballgame. Patrick has had to deal with the death of a team mate in 2000 that literaly shook the foundation of Players' and it took that team a full YEAR to recover. He keeps getting new engineers, teammates, personel swaps. I think the guy holds up pretty darn well. Patrick is FAST. He holds some track records. And when he is ON, he's the best. You watch Laguna last year? No one could touch him. Paul has a tendency to lose it when he is under pressure. And, well, so does Pat. But Paul could take the Crown when it comes to blowing leads and golden opportunities.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 6 Mar 2004, 09:31 (Ref:895647)   #28
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I half agree with Snrub and with Mags, Patreek was a little inconsistant, but as mags pointed out switching between chassis could have a great deal with that regarding last year.

But I think the best thing to do is to sit tight and either"
A) Wait till the launch (which is, what tomorrow?)
or
B) Watch the Aussie Gp...if you are in the right time zone ()
PARTY ON FOLKS!
Old 6 Mar 2004, 15:44 (Ref:896025)   #29
Speedfrog
Rookie

Speedfrog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know what guys?

The rumour seems true!

The announcement was made to the team members.

Patrick Carpentier is out from Forsythe Racing. The team announce that Rodolfo Lavin will replace Carpentier for 2004 season.

A member of Forsythe Racing tells the situation to Patrick...on the phone.

Patrick's manager, Allan Labrosse, was in shock after this announcements.

The duo will be bring that on court.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 15:53 (Ref:896033)   #30
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does Patrick have a ride with another team???
Old 6 Mar 2004, 16:00 (Ref:896037)   #31
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see from your web-site that the source is a Montreal newspaper Speedfrog. Do you have a link?
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 6 Mar 2004, 16:07 (Ref:896043)   #32
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never mind here it is. Bad move by Forsythe
http://lcn.canoe.com/lcn/sports/nouv...06-075416.html

However they are still the only ones reporting it. I am holding out hope it is BS!

Last edited by enemy-ace; 6 Mar 2004 at 16:10.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 6 Mar 2004, 16:12 (Ref:896046)   #33
Flavinha
Racer

Flavinha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Does Patrick have a ride with another team???
I've read that he will run the second car at Rocketsports.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 16:43 (Ref:896066)   #34
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Flavinha
I've read that he will run the second car at Rocketsports.
It's possible, but it's more of a rumour then anything else. I think that all started when we found out that Tag and Carp will be dropping the puck before the Montreal Canadiens VS Anaheim Mighty Ducks game on Monday night.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 18:12 (Ref:896139)   #35
Mags
Veteran

I do NOT believe this for a moment.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 6 Mar 2004, 18:23 (Ref:896150)   #36
Speedfrog
Rookie

At Forsythe Racing team, the rumour put Patrick in a PK Racing seat.

Pretty weird at this point?!?!
Old 6 Mar 2004, 18:35 (Ref:896153)   #37
Mike.ca
Racer

Mike.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would Forsythe, of all people, take an untalented pay-driver over a proven (albeit inconsistant) winner? Does he really need the money?
And if the plan was to loan Patrick out to another team (PK, Rocketsports, whatever) why wasn't the deal set up before now? As I understand it, the deadline for transferring Patrick's contract to another team has passed, so it's now a play him or pay him situation.

Last edited by Mike.ca; 6 Mar 2004 at 18:36.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 18:39 (Ref:896154)   #38
Speedfrog
Rookie

It's really hard to replace a sponsor like Player's, and Carpentier didn't find any sponsor.

I'm disapointed right now.

Lavin was the worst Champ Car driver in 2003.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 19:10 (Ref:896172)   #39
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedfrog
It's really hard to replace a sponsor like Player's, and Carpentier didn't find any sponsor.

I'm disapointed right now.

Lavin was the worst Champ Car driver in 2003.
Now, if anyone knows me, they know I am THE biggest Patrick supporter. However, Lavin has had Corona been with him his entire career. That spells BIG MONEY. What does the survival of this series need?? You got it, BIG MONEY. Thank You Government of Canada.

Do I believe it? I'm starting to. I'm hoping that he is the 3rd car we have been hearing about. But if not, I am sure Patrick will have a ride in this series somewhere. A driver of his calaber will not go wanting.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 19:12 (Ref:896174)   #40
Mike.ca
Racer

I agree, it is hard to replace a sponsor like Players. But Players withdrawl was a long time coming. For months we've been hearing talk about Forsythe having some big new sponsor - McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Labatt's - just around the corner. This really calls all of that into question - unless Corona is sponsoring the whole team.
I had a look at Lavin's record in Lights and Atlantic. Pathetic. Five years in Indy Lights. His best finish was a single 5th place. Two years in Atlantic. He had one 2nd and one 3rd. When I think of the guys who did win races in those series in those years who don't have drives, or who never had a champcar ride...
Old 6 Mar 2004, 19:14 (Ref:896176)   #41
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada

http://tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=75201

Report: Forsythe releasing Carpentier

TSN.ca Staff

3/6/2004
According to a report in Le Journal de Montreal on Saturday, employees of the Forsythe CART racing team were told that driver Patrick Carpentier would be transferred to another team to make room for Mexican Rodolfo Lavin.

While team management apparently told several employees on Friday that Carpentier was no longer on the team, Carpentier appeared to be in the dark on the situation.

When the paper contacted Carpentier at his home in Las Vegas, Carpentier allowed "In order to save money, I'm pretty sure team management thought about trying to transfer me."

Carpentier's agent, Alain Labrosse, claimed that the deadline for transferring Carpentier had passed and that, "Patrick's contract says he must drive for Forsythe this year."

Forsythe reportedly wants to hire Lavin, who has sponsorship from Corona, because the team is still seeking a main sponsor since Player's was forced to pull out at the end of last season due to federal anti-tobacco legislation.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 19:25 (Ref:896184)   #42
Mike.ca
Racer

And from the CBC. Forsythe had wanted to transfer Patrick to another team, but couldn't because his contract is "cast in concrete".
Old 6 Mar 2004, 22:28 (Ref:896298)   #43
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, I got a rumour half right...damnit why couldn't I have been wrong! Don't leave us Pat!
Old 6 Mar 2004, 22:28 (Ref:896299)   #44
Mags
Veteran

OK everyone - now those that know me know I am not a bull you know whater. I just got off of the phone with one of Pat's best friends. He knew NOTHING about this - but - that is not new. When I have conformation, I will let EVERYONE know, OK? But I will tell you this - he said it wouldn't suprise him in the LEAST.

Last edited by Mags; 6 Mar 2004 at 22:33.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 23:46 (Ref:896364)   #45
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Meanwhile, it suprises me in the MOST.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 00:13 (Ref:896378)   #46
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have the feeling that we are not through being surprised.

I met Lavin and I like him, and I think with the right kind of support he might develop into a good driver. Why not give him a chance and find out? Or is it your belief that anybody with money must be a failure? (Tell that to Elio de Angeles, for one!) Nigel Mansell was a lousy driver for a long time, but he kept at it and he became a world champion. Not to mention Nicky Lauda. And I personally may end up having to change my mind about Jensen Button.

I am hoping Patrick will end up driving somewhere, and that his manager will be reasonable and not hold out for something he won't get, rather than let Patrick keep driving. But we're going to have a lot more surprises before the end of the 2004 season.

Last edited by Liz; 7 Mar 2004 at 00:15.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 02:26 (Ref:896443)   #47
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Or is it your belief that anybody with money must be a failure?
No, but anybody with money who can't even win a race in 5 years of Lights and Atlantics is.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 03:07 (Ref:896453)   #48
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
No, but anybody with money who can't even win a race in 5 years of Lights and Atlantics is.
Good Point, Cork.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 03:31 (Ref:896463)   #49
Mike.ca
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
Actually, it was 7 years: 5 in Indy Lights (1996-2000), and 2 in Atlantic (2001-2002). No podiums in Lights, 2 in Atlantic.
Some of the drivers who won in those series in those years: Fogarty, Moran,Diaz,Valiente, Macri, Bordin, Montgomery, Bell, Higgins, Andre, Boss, Simmons, two Mears, Bentham, Empringham... It's a shame.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 03:51 (Ref:896469)   #50
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike.ca
Actually, it was 7 years: 5 in Indy Lights (1996-2000), and 2 in Atlantic (2001-2002). No podiums in Lights, 2 in Atlantic.
Some of the drivers who won in those series in those years: Fogarty, Moran,Diaz,Valiente, Macri, Bordin, Montgomery, Bell, Higgins, Andre, Boss, Simmons, two Mears, Bentham, Empringham... It's a shame.
AHHH, but look who was paying the bills.