Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 10 Mar 2004, 05:47 (Ref:900418)   #176
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I like to think that Gerry would be amongst the first to run a third car, if he thought that it was necessary to reach 18. So perhaps he knows something we don't (and I'm sure he does!). If there are only 17 cars and drivers ready for LB, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Patrick suit up in an Indeck car.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 06:10 (Ref:900425)   #177
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would agree, Snout, that the guy who walks up to the beer stand in Vancouver doesn't care whether Tracy or Lavin or Junqueira is paid or not. To take it further, he doesn't even care who Carpentier drives for. To take it further than that, he doesn't even know who Joel Camathias is and if he learns that, he doesn't care by Noon on Monday.

But the series just went bankrupt and he MIGHT care whether there's going to be a representative race or not and that doesn't occur unless bucks are spent.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 06:15 (Ref:900429)   #178
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
To take it further, he doesn't even care who Carpentier drives for.
And that, indycool, is where you are WRONG. Canadians are VERY big race fans, and we darn well DO know who Patrick races for, and to us, he is Players racing, not just racing for Players.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 10 Mar 2004, 06:22 (Ref:900433)   #179
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mags, I agree that Canadian hardcore fans would know. I said the guy walking up to the beer stand in Vancouver. That guy is more LIKELY to know than a similar guy in Seoul or at Laguna Seca, who probably fits the statement better.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 08:27 (Ref:900525)   #180
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
Mags, I agree that Canadian hardcore fans would know. I said the guy walking up to the beer stand in Vancouver. That guy is more LIKELY to know than a similar guy in Seoul or at Laguna Seca, who probably fits the statement better.
Should have said the guy walking up to the beer stand in Surfers , better still the blonde in the bikini.

Mags, I've probably blown Patrick off a bit in this thread so far. I'm well aware that Canandians know their racing, what I'm probably more aware of now is that as far as Canadians are concerned Players colours run through Patrick rather that him just being a driver. I knew you guys loved him of course, I didn't know just how much until you last post frankly. So if I've seemed a bit dismissive of him as being just a commodity on the driver market I apologise. I forget there's passion involved here.

Indycool, I think you like to know what makes things tick and pay attention to detail. A curious mind perhaps which is a fine thing. I suggest that while you do say some strictly correct things, you get right up close with the magnifying glass to scrutinize them. No problem there, I just think 99% of people or fans in this case aren't that interested in the details, as long as the beer is cold, the tickets are the right price and the racing and entertainment is worthy.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 10:54 (Ref:900673)   #181
indycool
Veteran

Already agreed with you on that, Snout. And you're probably right. I look at something like this and try to project what it does for the image and perception of the series or those involved. I'm guilty.

In this case, Forsythe's running a guy who's no candidate to win races or a championship in his car and ditching one who can. And no one knows right now if Carpentier will land a ride that will be equal to the one he was contracted for.

Last edited by indycool; 10 Mar 2004 at 10:55.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 14:06 (Ref:900885)   #182
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Based on the last few comments I guess I'd have to say the the average guy at the beerstand has no clue that this gig even went off yesterday and the day before. Good, bad, or indifferent. To that guy I have to beleive it's a no harm, no foul situation. It's only the Champcar freaks who are having issues.

PS- Is Champcar/Champ Car one word or two?

Last edited by Flatspot; 10 Mar 2004 at 14:06.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 14:46 (Ref:900921)   #183
indycool
Veteran

Flatspot, you're right. And in answer to your question, I don't know these days.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 20:15 (Ref:901230)   #184
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Flatspot
Based on the last few comments I guess I'd have to say the the average guy at the beerstand has no clue that this gig even went off yesterday and the day before. Good, bad, or indifferent. To that guy I have to beleive it's a no harm, no foul situation. It's only the Champcar freaks who are having issues.

I think F1 is a good example in relation to yesterday. The Australian F1 Grand Prix that took place last Sunday, not sure how many were there for the actual race but 51000 were there for the Thursday practice, so perhaps double that made the race. Out of all those people perhaps 500 actually bothered to tune in to the traditional F1 new car launches, and perhaps 30 of those 500 actual remember what was said at the launches. So while I think launch days like this week are necessary PR, it's really people only like us few who live Champcars everyday that pick up on every quote and mine it to death.

I think Champcar is two words, Champ Car, IMO it should be one word like Indycar used to be/is . But I use it as one word.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 20:23 (Ref:901235)   #185
indycool
Veteran

True.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 20:36 (Ref:901248)   #186
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All races seem to divide into three groups: first good drivers in good cars, then good drivers in bad cars, or bad drivers in good cars and last and least bad drivers in bad cars.

Pat is avery likeable person, but I have seen a lot of people hold their jobs longer than their talent would justify because of that warm personality; much to the dismay of the unloved who are their compeditiors.

I have mixed emotions about it and would love to see him stay but, in a car that is equal to his abilities.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 20:47 (Ref:901259)   #187
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The average guy at the beerstand would probably agree with the NA$CAR driver who opined that Toyota bombed Pearl Harbour.

But if he's at the beerstand at the track, he's bought his ticket so what the hey.

As far as preferring a limited talent with a warm personality, I think it's instructive to note that Minardi has the second largest fan club in the world.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 21:11 (Ref:901302)   #188
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Flatspot
(...)Based on the last few comments I guess I'd have to say the the average guy at the beerstand has no clue that this gig even went off yesterday and the day before. Good, bad, or indifferent. To that guy I have to beleive it's a no harm, no foul situation. It's only the Champcar freaks who are having issues.

Well said, Flastpot (by the way, where the hell were you yesterday?)

The official title of the series is Bridgestone presents the Champ Car World Series Sponsored by Ford.

The short form is Champ Car - not Champcar, ChampCars or OWRS (as Gentilozzi made the point of letting clear in the opening press conference).

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 11 Mar 2004, 02:11 (Ref:901506)   #189
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Zounds!! We go from talking about P Carpentier to Greek chorus' telling Mrs. Zanardi (appropriately, by the way, based on the extent of the injuries) that Alex was mortally injured to Jane Fonda/John Kerry references. Rather obscure reference there as John Kerry once charged a sniper in Vietnam, where Jane visited the North.

I daresay the topic is a bit boring comparatively speaking, but new businesses succeed or fail based on the relative merits of that business. The consumer can make choices based on price, quality, availability and how they happen to feel at the moment. We, as consumers are not obligated to cut slack, give breaks or generally practice a laissez-faire approach to how we evaluate that product.

Personally if this is the way GF does business, than the CART I knew, loved and supported, the CART that at one time boasted two Andrettis, two Unsers, a Fittipaldi, Rahal and not least, Nigel Mansell is gone forever and could well be followed by OWRS.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.