Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Apr 2004, 18:27 (Ref:954890)   #1
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 2005 CCWS SCHEDULE ?!

from www.champcarfan.com
------------------------------------------

According to OWRS we shall know the 2005 schedule by the end of July. In the meantime there is a nagging question whether we're going to see ovals disappear or not. At Long Beach, the OWRS CEO Dick Eidswick had said that "diversity" and ovals will still play a major role, but the Champ Car Troika has a slightly different plans. Due to the planned "new engine/chassis formula" to come into effect in 2006 there is a strong possibility that Milwaukee and oval racing will be dropped in favor of lighter, narrower and nimbler cars suitable for best performance on road and street courses.

Two months ago, Gerry Forsythe has stated: "We are working on seven (7) new venues for the 2005 schedule", he also added: "We are currently looking at races in Spain and the UK for 2005." Besides that, OWRS is also looking at other European venues, and lately it looks like F1 will ditch the San Marino GP next year, when asked about Imola Forsythe said: "We would have to talk to Bernie if he would bless us taking over for F1 at Imola, then certainly we would consider it." France and Germany are also being considered due to the possibility of attracting new engine manufacturers to the series.

On the international scene: Emerson Fittipaldi and Kevin Kalkhoven are currently working hard in trying to secure new venues in Brazil and Argentina, Stephen Watson is still pursuing luring Champ Car to South Africa, so are the new tracks in Dubai and Qatar, and most of all - Ford is pushing OWRS to race in China. Adding it all up, there is much more chances of expanding internationally than domestically.

According to Paul Gentilozzi there are plans to add a domestic race or two on the East Coast - St.Petersburg seems very likely here. There are rumors of a new Meadowlands, NJ project that may materialize. Houston street race is still being discussed, as is the St.Louis one. Even reconsidering Miami is given a thought.

All in all, we will see an 18-20 race schedule next year that will be quite drastically different from this year's. Don't know which current venues will suffer axing, but there are a few that are questionable for next year: Milwaukee, Portland, Denver, and Road America.

Here's a list of possible new venues, half of which we might see on the upcoming 2005 schedule - listed in order of probability:

1. SALTA, Argentina - road course
2. BRASÍLIA or SANTA CRUZ, Brazil - road course
3. ST.PETERSBURG, USA - street race
4. DURBAN, RSA - street race
5. JEREZ or BILBAO, Spain - street race
6. SILVERSTONE or DONNINGTON, UK - road course
7. DUBAI, UAE - road course
8. HOUSTON, USA - street race
9. ADRIA or IMOLA, Italy - road course
10. HANNOVER, Germany - street race
11. MARSEILLES or PAU, France - street race
12. BEIJING, China - road course
13. MEADOWLANDS, NJ - road course
14. ST.LOUIS, USA - street race
15. DOHA, Qatar - road course
16. MADRID, Spain - road course (or oval)

This year we have a belated inaugural OWRS/CCWS season, but next year we shall see what Champ Car is really "made of" ?!... the saga shall continue... stay tuned...

zerO
Old 28 Apr 2004, 19:54 (Ref:954959)   #2
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington please....

A great track...and currently having a shedload of money thrown at it in upgrades for the Bikes...but should also suit Champ Cars!

I'd LOVE to see a Champ Car go through the Old Hairpin...and I'd LOVE to see them MAKE it through the old hairpin too!

Although they should NEVER EVER lose Road America....surely all they went through last year should tell them what the fans want, in this regard!

Last edited by codename_47; 28 Apr 2004 at 19:55.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 19:54 (Ref:954960)   #3
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*edit*

Now it's my turn to suffer double post embarrasment...I always wondered what it'd be like!

Sorry!

Last edited by codename_47; 28 Apr 2004 at 19:54.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 20:15 (Ref:954977)   #4
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by codename_47
Although they should NEVER EVER lose Road America....surely all they went through last year should tell them what the fans want, in this regard!
Road America is actually running a champain to save it right now.. they are under a threat to have the course ripped out. You can contact the track for more info.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 28 Apr 2004, 22:43 (Ref:955205)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
Road America is actually running a champain to save it right now.. they are under a threat to have the course ripped out. You can contact the track for more info.

I belive that the "Save It" campaign has to do with the "original" circuit, that was actually raced on county roads and streets in and around Elkhart Lake itself. The "original course' was a little over 5 miles long, and it went around Elkhart Lake itself....

Ultimately, racing on the streets was banned, and they built what is now known as "Road America was built as a permanent facility a few miles up the road from the town of Elkhart Lake...

I can't remember where I read about this, but it has something to do with re-grading and widening those county roads that were a portion of the old street course...

However, I don't think it has anything to do with the "Road America" facility being torn up.....

But because they have such close ties to the tradition of the race up there, The Road America people want those roads to become part of the National Historical Registry, and thus protected from being changed since they were such a big part of the racing, tourism, and economic history of the area because they comprised that original circuit...

They are spearheading the fight due to those ties...

There are plenty of "Racing Circuit" sites and such on the web...I'm sure that many of them, if not all, will distinguish between the two courses....

I could be wrong...wouldn't be the first time...but that's what I remember reading....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 29 Apr 2004, 18:02 (Ref:955946)   #6
zerO
Veteran

The problem with Road America is that IRL is pushing hard to get a date there - they'll most likely get it since TG will throw any $$$ amount neccessary to make GB happy... then comes a question of whether CCWS will fit in or want to ?!

zerO
Old 29 Apr 2004, 20:14 (Ref:956078)   #7
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Medowlands would be great because CART always talked about getting into the New York market. But it has to be a really cool course, or no one would go.

Wasn't Houston suppossed to be in the schedule this year? Maybe they are coming back again. As great a city Houston is, I remember it being not a particulary thrilling race.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 20:28 (Ref:956090)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Amar7605
Medowlands would be great because CART always talked about getting into the New York market. But it has to be a really cool course, or no one would go.

Wasn't Houston suppossed to be in the schedule this year? Maybe they are coming back again. As great a city Houston is, I remember it being not a particulary thrilling race.

Excuse me, but didn't they TRY the Meadowlands once...and didn't it fail miserably????

Suggestion:

If this Series wants to go to the "Big Apple," try to work a deal with the City and with the Sports Commission there to hook up a deal to race at Floyd Bennett Field near Brooklyn....

It is an old military airfield that is still in decent shape, has plenty of room for parking and grandstands, and is 10 minutes away from JFK Airport and the support industries (hotels, restaurants, etc) that surround JFK....the place once did host races at one time....

you can look it up on a site called www.airfields-freeman.com

I've even looked at "zoom in" aerial images of the place...and hav drawn up possible courses there...

It would work....and would be much better than a race in a parking lot....

Old 29 Apr 2004, 21:50 (Ref:956157)   #9
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think we are more likley to see champcars back at brands rather than silverstone or donnington due to the fact between justin wilson & john palmer
Old 29 Apr 2004, 22:28 (Ref:956190)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I remain surprised that Ford still hasn't "suggested" a new GP in Detroit.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 22:50 (Ref:956213)   #11
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They shouldn't even THINK about coming to Houston for another street race unless they can design the course so it doesn't disrupt a lot of traffic and upset all the businesses in the area, which happened with the first.

Fl*ming_W*zzle...
Did I do a good job of dodging autocensor there?

Last edited by macdaddy; 29 Apr 2004 at 22:55.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 07:44 (Ref:956503)   #12
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Flaming_Wuzzle
[B]They shouldn't even THINK about coming to Houston for another street race unless they can design the course so it doesn't disrupt a lot of traffic and upset all the businesses in the area, which happened with the first.

Is that what happened in Houston? Interesting... that would defeat the entire purpose of a Champ Car race bring in business, doesn't it?
Old 30 Apr 2004, 08:00 (Ref:956512)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What originates such a probability standings?
In particular, why should it be more likely a Cart venue in one of the less populated area of an underpopulated country like Argentina, than say, a place like Imola, which, expectably, will lose the F1 race?

BTW the Pau option wouldbe very interesting
Old 30 Apr 2004, 08:04 (Ref:956518)   #14
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Climb, you're right. I guess the one thing that is for sure is that Champ Cars will go wherever there is money to be made. So, if Salta, Argentina will make more money for the series than New York City, then a race will probably happen in Argentina.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 08:12 (Ref:956528)   #15
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Suggestion:

If this Series wants to go to the "Big Apple," try to work a deal with the City and with the Sports Commission there to hook up a deal to race at Floyd Bennett Field near Brooklyn....

It is an old military airfield that is still in decent shape, has plenty of room for parking and grandstands, and is 10 minutes away from JFK Airport and the support industries (hotels, restaurants, etc) that surround JFK....the place once did host races at one time....

I've even looked at "zoom in" aerial images of the place...and hav drawn up possible courses there...

It would work....and would be much better than a race in a parking lot.... [/B][/QUOTE]

I looked at the airfield photos. It could work, but those taxiways on the eastern and southern edge of the field are pretty narrow. That could be a problem.

BTW, thanks for posting that website. I looked up some old airfields in my area, and the history is very cool
Old 30 Apr 2004, 08:26 (Ref:956545)   #16
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Climb, you're right. I guess the one thing that is for sure is that Champ Cars will go wherever there is money to be made. So, if Salta, Argentina will make more money for the series than New York City, then a race will probably happen in Argentina.
Undisputable reasoning Amar; I'm just wondering who on earth could bet there's money round Salta, considering the current economic disaster my beloved Argentina is facing.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 14:06 (Ref:956942)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Suggestion:

It would work....and would be much better than a race in a parking lot....
I looked at the airfield photos. It could work, but those taxiways on the eastern and southern edge of the field are pretty narrow. That could be a problem.

BTW, thanks for posting that website. I looked up some old airfields in my area, and the history is very cool [/B][/QUOTE]

These images are courtesy of www.airfileds-freeman.com

The lines are courtesy of me...after speaking with people who have been there for other events and have seen the place....I got a ton of e-mails from New Yorkers when I posted this facility as a possible ALMS site....

All were very positive about the facility, but worried about the politics to get it done...

The key would be the New York Sports Commission buying into it...

NOTE TO "SPORTSCAR & GT" people who surf this Forum...I PROMISE Iwon't get off on the "airfields" jag again...but it is appropriate just to puth this forward once...to get people to thik about "do-able" possibilities...

I also looked at a lot of potential facilities in or near major markets, including Dallas, Boston, and others....those two also have excellent possibilities (Dallas NAS and South Weymouth NAS near Boston)

NOTE:

The Runways (according to people who have actually been there) are somewhere between 80 and 100 ft wide, and the taxiways are about 40 ft. wide (if I remember correctly...I could be confusing it with one of many other facilities)

This is an actual image of Floyd Bennett from above...
Attached Thumbnails
10-10thsfloydbennett_ny_colorsm.jpg  

Old 30 Apr 2004, 14:08 (Ref:956948)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
This is an image of "Options" that would be possible to create a race circuit

The White areas are places where a top coat of asphalt would probably have to be done:
Attached Thumbnails
10-10thsfloydbennettrealoptions2sm.jpg  

Old 30 Apr 2004, 14:11 (Ref:956951)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Here is one option that I really like for this circuit...

NOTE: at the bottom of the image, the "extended" southern portion could easily go onto that stretch of taxiway just above it insead to lessent the cost of getting the place ready to race:
Attached Thumbnails
10-10thsfloydbennettareal1almstrack.jpg  

Old 30 Apr 2004, 14:16 (Ref:956956)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Here is one that is a little more conservative at the north end of the facility.....

I'm done....

But I believe that these "Abandoned Airfileds," if they are in workable shape and are in markets that make sense for Champ Cars, are a MUCH BETTER idea than "street parades" on avenues that are rough, and crowned, and do not promote passing and good racing...
Attached Thumbnails
10-10thsfloydbennettarealalms3sm.jpg  

Old 30 Apr 2004, 14:32 (Ref:956975)   #21
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That looks a lot better than the foible at the Meadowlands. In one of those Meadowlands races in the '80s, Arie Luyendyk went off an escape road, actually got lost in the parking lot and had to be directed back on the course! There's just no room for a course and no room for people there and it was just abominable.

As to all the hypotheticals about the 2005 schedule, the 2004 schedule isn't even complete yet.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 14:41 (Ref:956989)   #22
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
That looks a lot better than the foible at the Meadowlands. In one of those Meadowlands races in the '80s, Arie Luyendyk went off an escape road, actually got lost in the parking lot and had to be directed back on the course! There's just no room for a course and no room for people there and it was just abominable.

As to all the hypotheticals about the 2005 schedule, the 2004 schedule isn't even complete yet.
Funny story!

As to the 2004 schedule....I take this as a positive..

If they're already thinking of 2005...then perhaps at least THEY know what those provisionals are going to be, and are just waiting for I's to be dotted and T's to be crossed on contracts before they can get to announcing...
Old 30 Apr 2004, 16:15 (Ref:957088)   #23
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Great job sketching the track out! If the taxiways are 40 feet long, then that should be more than enough clearance to have a 2-wide passing area.

The first track could be too long. Approxomate how many miles are each layout?
Old 30 Apr 2004, 16:26 (Ref:957096)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Great job sketching the track out! If the taxiways are 40 feet long, then that should be more than enough clearance to have a 2-wide passing area.

The first track could be too long. Approxomate how many miles are each layout?

The longer one is approximately 4.67 miles and the second is a little over 4.5....

BTW....I don't know where Elk Grove is located....

But if Long Beach ends up going away, I've got a GREAT "airfield" that is either in the "Riverside" area or the Santa Barbara area in California...

Look up the "El Toro MCAC" airfield...

It's HUGE...and it offers TONS of options for circuites, pit lanes, places to set up grandstands, etc...

THe long runways are 11,000 ft. in length each....

Check this place out!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
eltoro10-10ths_ca_color.jpg  

Old 30 Apr 2004, 16:31 (Ref:957099)   #25
zerO
Veteran

Hey Tim,
that's a very good concept with Bennett's Field, maybe you could direct this to someone who'd listen... (insert "idea" emoticon) on the other hand, you forgot that Flushing Meadows still could be worked out - all is needed is convincing the tennis loving yuppies that Champcars are not as loud as F1 cars, and the F1 proposal is still being tossed around in re: Flushing Meadows (was involved with it myself back in '80ies)... another thing, Meadowlands has acquired extra acreage and the plan is to build a semi-permanent road course - no longer a parking lot thingy like it used to be - God only knows if it will ever see daylight... funny thing is Paul Newman wants a road course and Mario wants a short oval... hihihaha... I don't think we'll see a Champ Car or F1 race in/around NYC anytime soon (same goes for Chicago, btw) ?!

zerO