Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Apr 2004, 16:35 (Ref:957100)   #26
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
btw Tim,
Kevin Kalkhoven is looking for an airstrip near San Francisco - trouble is FAA won't go for it.

zerO
Old 30 Apr 2004, 20:46 (Ref:957313)   #27
gurneyfan
Rookie

gurneyfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Amar7605
Suggestion:

If this Series wants to go to the "Big Apple," try to work a deal with the City and with the Sports Commission there to hook up a deal to race at Floyd Bennett Field near Brooklyn....

It is an old military airfield that is still in decent shape, has plenty of room for parking and grandstands, and is 10 minutes away from JFK Airport and the support industries (hotels, restaurants, etc) that surround JFK....the place once did host races at one time....

you can look it up on a site called www.airfields-freeman.com

If so, this would be a great site.

I've even looked at "zoom in" aerial images of the place...and hav drawn up possible courses there...

It would work....and would be much better than a race in a parking lot....
You've done some terrific research. A race in New York would be great for the series. I know Pook had talked to the Sports Commission in the past. The bottom line probably is:
1) Does the city want a race?
2) Are they willing to pay a sanction fee?

If so, this would be a great site.

Last edited by gurneyfan; 30 Apr 2004 at 20:48.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 21:14 (Ref:957346)   #28
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zerO
btw Tim,
Kevin Kalkhoven is looking for an airstrip near San Francisco - trouble is FAA won't go for it.

zerO
I've answered this question many thread in the following Forums:

Sportscars & GT

Armchair Enthusiasts - My Tracks

Here is the answer....

and if Mr. Kalkhoven approaches this from the following perspective (maybe even looks at the site I posted for a reference as a guide) he can accomplish this with VERY MINIMAL RED TAPE OR BUREAUCRACY HASSLES:

1. The facilities I have looked ant and researched in various markets, in many cases, are no longer "Active Airfields"....they no longer receive air traffic....and in some cases are no longer even listed on the FAA's air/flight/facility Charts....

Thus the FAA has nothing to do with them.....they are no longer under their jurisdiction, because they don't handle aircraft anymore....

Going to an active airport HAS to be a BIG HASSLE...I don't know how Cleveland does it, to be honest!!!!

2. Many of these facilities are former Military installations that were recently shut down (about 20% within the last 5-10 years)....the Govt. WANTS to turn over these pieces of property to local entities for use in other ways....

Local governments are working dilligently with the military to find other uses that would be economically feasible for their communities for jobs, tourism, business relocations or industrial parks, etc....

As a matter of fact, huge portions of these facilaities can be "Bought" for a song....a facility in southern Indiana that had many hundreds of acres that could be developed as well as massive infrastructure advantages (warehoues spaces, offices, full utilities already in place, roads, etc) plus a huge airfield, was sold to a private investor at auction for $5 million about 6 years ago....

that investor has quadrupled his money already....with more land to be devloped and deals to be cut...

To make one of these places a racetrack, the roads for the race course are already in place...many also have massive hangars and a huge tarmac that would serve well for paddock areas ant to set up a main grandstand (temporary if it is a one-off annual event, or permanent if you buy it...)....

and most are located near interstate arteries, etc...

I guess it all depends on how you look at it....but for me, this is the most affordable way to go to get a new racetrack venue in a new market...

Humor me here:

Go to www.airfields-freeman.com

scroll down to the "Texas - North Dallas" folder...

Then look at "Dallas NAS"

Here is a 2.75 mi. course that could be set up on a facility that is "sitting idle" at this time, is in excellent shape, is within a few blocks of major interstates, and about 6 miles southeast of the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport...
Attached Thumbnails
texdallasimage1.jpg  

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 Apr 2004, 21:29 (Ref:957357)   #29
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zerO
btw Tim,

zerO

To zerO:

If he wants to hook up something in the S.F. Bay Area, how about looking in Alameda just across the Bay????

I believe it is close to many of the highways & bridges (esp. the Bay Bridge) across and around the Bay, and probably has a few BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit -- a nice commuter rail/subway system there) depots there....

Alameda NAS was a large Naval Avionics facility...

A portion of this place was used about a year ago to create the "Highway" that was used in a scene from the film "The Matrix - Reloaded"

Would this possibly work for him?
Attached Thumbnails
alamedanas_ca_color.jpg  

Old 30 Apr 2004, 23:23 (Ref:957430)   #30
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Great work, Amar and Tim.
In my dream, ChampCar's 22-race schedule would be 3 bullrings, 3 supertracks, 4 streets, 5 roads, and 7 airports.
Old 1 May 2004, 06:47 (Ref:957634)   #31
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for the compliment, macdaddy, although Tim did all of the research and sketches. I just added my two centss

Alameda NAS would be a cool place to have a race. Its right next to the Bay and there would be a lot of road racing fans in the SF Bay Area and Sacramento. Just up Interstate 80 and Highway 24 is Sears Point Raceway, and Laguna Seca Raceway is 90 minutes away.

The backdrop would be beautiful because of the SF skyline and the Bay Bridge, and the shipping port next door. It would have an atmosphere of Fundidora Park in Monterrey, Cleveland, and Laguna Seca.

Moreover, F1 was considering moving the USGP to San Francisco (possibly as a Monaco-like street race) after its Indy contract expires, so if there is a street course plan and the F1 deal falls through, there's another thing for Champ Cars to consider.

Personally, I think it would be better for Champ Cars to leave Laguna Seca and have a race in Alameda/SF.

P.S. Tim, Elk Grove is just south of Sacramento.
Old 1 May 2004, 06:51 (Ref:957637)   #32
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Oh yeah, one more thing... didn't the Trans Am series race in San Diego a few years ago? And wasn't it on some airfield (North Island?) near downtown? Maybe Champ Cars could race there too.
Old 1 May 2004, 20:17 (Ref:958100)   #33
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LEAVE LAGUNA????

Quote:
Personally, I think it would be better for Champ Cars to leave Laguna Seca and have a race in Alameda/SF.
Those are fighting words! LS is probably the most beautiful track Champ Cars visit! And it's a GREAT racing venue. Lots of passing places, if ONLY they would get rid of the STUPID pit stop rules and let these boys start racing full out!!! *sigh*
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 2 May 2004, 00:07 (Ref:958250)   #34
Superunknown
Rookie

Superunknown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
seca may be beautiful but the cars have thoroughly outgrown it, and due to its surroundings an expansion is completely out of the question
"Doors are the most important thing that any auto company engineers for consumers. When I worked at the Mustang plant, cars wouldn't start and pieces would be falling off everywhere, but you can be damn sure those doors would ALWAYS work right." -Dr. Ashford
Old 2 May 2004, 01:33 (Ref:958285)   #35
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Superunknown
seca may be beautiful but the cars have thoroughly outgrown it, and due to its surroundings an expansion is completely out of the question
Cars have outgrown it? In what way, superunknown? I feel once more engine manufacturers come back, Seca will once again be the crown jewel in Champ Car's crown. it's a true driver's track - ask ANY driver that has been there.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 2 May 2004, 08:10 (Ref:958421)   #36
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Re: LEAVE LAGUNA????

Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
Those are fighting words! LS is probably the most beautiful track Champ Cars visit! And it's a GREAT racing venue. Lots of passing places, if ONLY they would get rid of the STUPID pit stop rules and let these boys start racing full out!!! *sigh*
I agree that LS is beautiful. It's one of the few road courses in the world where you can see virtually the entire track at certain places. And it has great weather and passionate fans. But the crowds have been declining in the past couple of years, but I think that it because of the schedule change to mid-June. Hopefully returning it to the September date this year will solve that problem.

I do feel that the pit stop rules need to go. Let the teams figure out what is best for them!

And I still stand by argument that for the sake of getting good crowds, an Alameda/SF race would be more profitable than LS. Please forgive me!
Old 2 May 2004, 08:17 (Ref:958423)   #37
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Then look at "Dallas NAS"

Here is a 2.75 mi. course that could be set up on a facility that is "sitting idle" at this time, is in excellent shape, is within a few blocks of major interstates, and about 6 miles southeast of the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport... [/B][/QUOTE]

Its a good sketch, and it could make for some great racing. But do you honestly think that Champ Cars want to go to Dallas? I'll bet that their gums are still bleeding from the Texas Motor Speedway disaster. I mean, they probably left a very bitter taste for the fans.
Old 2 May 2004, 15:34 (Ref:958661)   #38
Mags
Veteran

Re: Re: LEAVE LAGUNA????

Quote:
And I still stand by argument that for the sake of getting good crowds, an Alameda/SF race would be more profitable than LS. Please forgive me!
No forgivness needed. I'll be at Sonoma this year, and see if there is indeed a huge racing fan base there

WHAT a shame I'll have to take in a race at the same time!! DARN IT, I wish it was a Champ Car race!!!
Old 3 May 2004, 19:10 (Ref:959618)   #39
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Tim,
I don't remember exactly which strip KK is trying to get, but it's very close to San Jose (insert "idea" emoticon) - and supposedly he's still pursuing it... don't know if KK has considered the Alameda thingy, but that definitely is a great concept... as for Dallas, there is something weird happening there - seems that the local populace and/or government do not want a race track anywhere near the Dallas/Ft.Worth area - that's why the fantastic project aka Boundless Motorplex has died ?!... good news is that Boundless are looking for a new location somewhere in California - again, either near San Francisco (where the "New Riverside" has already started ground breaking, btw) or Los Angeles - can't wait to see their dream come true - btw, that project is being run under FIA "directives", that's what Bernie saw Pook about when they met at Long Beach... the saga shall continue...

zerO
Old 3 May 2004, 19:21 (Ref:959636)   #40
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I may have to check the "California -- San Jose" index on the www.airfields-freeman.com site...

There is a specific index for that area....but I'm not sure what is on it...

Just from looking at the Alameda aerials, both runways and taxiways, it would made for a very interesting road circuit...

THerre are "Good" and "Bad" aspects of former airbases or runways...

Good -- Lots of infrastructiore and the base for your circuit is concrete or asphalt that is many inches thick... the base will last forever....also, good sightlines fo rthe entire track...

Bad....the course is as flat as a pancake....and the pavement can be rough, depending on the general condition of the site....

Old 3 May 2004, 22:14 (Ref:959823)   #41
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Re: Re: Re: LEAVE LAGUNA????

Quote:
I'll be at Sonoma this year, and see if there is indeed a huge racing fan base there
When are you going to Sonoma? Are oyu going to the NASCAR race? Because if that is the case, then I think that most of those fans go because of NASCAR and don't care that much that it is a road course. At least, that is the impression that I get from NASCAR fans where I am from
Old 3 May 2004, 22:16 (Ref:959830)   #42
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
She's going to the ALMS race at Sonoma....

That's correct, isn't it, Mags????

I can't imagine you at a NASCAR event...

REAL sportscars on a road course....

Old 3 May 2004, 22:21 (Ref:959835)   #43
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
She's going to the ALMS race at Sonoma....

That's correct, isn't it, Mags????

I can't imagine you at a NASCAR event...

REAL sportscars on a road course....
Indeed. I'll be at the ALMS race covering the BAM! team I believe that weekend, that and the delectible Lucas Luhr

Last edited by Mags; 3 May 2004 at 22:22.
Old 3 May 2004, 22:21 (Ref:959836)   #44
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
I hope so :-)

I think that the ALMS race gets a decent crowd, but nowhere near as NASCAR crowds. Its a shame because the ALMS races there have been very good.
Old 4 May 2004, 05:28 (Ref:960002)   #45
Speedfrog
Rookie

Speedfrog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it the end of Canadian races?

I can't beleave that.
Old 4 May 2004, 05:53 (Ref:960008)   #46
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Speedfrog

I can't beleave that.
Why do you say that? There are no plans to cancel the three races that are already on the schedule - those are the moneymakers for OWRS.

It would be nice to see Champ Cars run at Trois Riviers, but the course is too narrow. I saw the Atlantics race on TV last year over there, and they were having some trouble.

If you had a choice, what venues in Canada would you select to host a Champ Car race?

P.S. Welcome to the forum, Speedfrog
Old 4 May 2004, 06:06 (Ref:960012)   #47
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedfrog

I can't beleave that.
NO end to Canadian Champ Car Races, but sadly, the only ALMS Canadian race this year will be Mosport. No "3 Rivers"...
Old 4 May 2004, 06:11 (Ref:960013)   #48
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Quote:
NO end to Canadian Champ Car Races, but sadly, the only ALMS Canadian race this year will be Mosport. No "3 Rivers"...
Really? That sucks. But I remember that watching the ALMS races on TV Trois Riviers was a pretty tight circut for them. Perhaps they have grown beyond one of the greatest street courses in the world?
:confused:

Yeah right, it's gotta be about money, huh?
Old 4 May 2004, 06:17 (Ref:960016)   #49
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Really? That sucks. But I remember that watching the ALMS races on TV Trois Riviers was a pretty tight circut for them. Perhaps they have grown beyond one of the greatest street courses in the world?
:confused:

Yeah right, it's gotta be about money, huh?
They dumped it for Portland.
Old 4 May 2004, 06:48 (Ref:960031)   #50
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It would be nice to see Champ Cars run at Trois Riviers, but the course is too narrow. I saw the Atlantics race on TV last year over there, and they were having some trouble.

The Atlantics have managed quite well for over 30yrs! I believe it is their most popular event.