Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 10 Jul 2004, 16:12 (Ref:1032500)   #376
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Oh please! Not Gary Bettman!! That boy could break a steel ball.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:34 (Ref:1038320)   #377
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Champweb's Don Sklenka:

INDIANAPOLIS (July 16, 2004) - What follows is a statement released today by the Champ Car World Series concerning the recent discussions between Champ Car ownership and Indy Racing League representatives concerning the unification of the two major open-wheel racing series in the United States. This release constitutes the final statements to be made by Champ Car concerning this matter.

Following on the initiative of Roger Penske to explore a unification of open wheel racing, ownership representatives of Champ Car World Series and Indy Racing League have met with Mr. Penske to consider the issues. While the ownership representatives of both series agree that one open wheel series is the optimal situation, it is the belief of all involved that the time is not right for further discussion of unification. Both parties appreciate the efforts of Mr. Penske, and both parties believe that each has a better understanding of where common ground exists. No more meetings are planned and both series are moving forward with their future plans.

Very polite speak for what I see as basically - TG, we don't need you - you have a nice track, but we have a plan and we are going to see it through. I guess they have found some tires

Seriously, I believe that OWRS is going to solidfy and move forward. If that means the entire old guard, including Carl Hass moves on - it truly is like starting over. Time.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:37 (Ref:1038323)   #378
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I guess that's that.
Thanks for the info, racinthestreets.

"I guess they have found some tires." raises the unanswered question.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:43 (Ref:1038329)   #379
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This statement from OWRS is what I'd expect.

Until such a point as a merger was a done deal, they have to keep the faith in their business.

It doesn't mean the prospect of a unification is over, I believe.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:17 (Ref:1038369)   #380
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what Liz told me after Robin Miller asked PG in Toronto last weekend, that is just what he said. OWRS has ZERO interest in a merge. As long as TG insists he must be at the helm, it isn't going to happen. OWRS will do it's best to grow and get stronger, and I'll do my tiny part to help. Vancouver is 1 week away!!
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:44 (Ref:1038392)   #381
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am with you Mags. Haven't missed since 1990. Weekend starts at Morgan Creek Golf Course on Friday.

I believe that unification is no closer today than it was in January. Like Kicking-back states It doesn't mean the prospect of a unification is over, I believe That is because as long as there is two series it will not be over. Here is my series thermometer:

COLD - Unification
WARM - Demise of one of the series
HOT - Both series proceed into 2005 and 2006 with their visions.

IRL begins road and street racing.
OWRS/CCWS continues the globalization of CCWS successfully. Hopefully the first announcement is this weekend in Vancouver of the 5 year contract extension with Molson.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:51 (Ref:1038398)   #382
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by racinthestreets
Hopefully the first announcement is this weekend in Vancouver of the 5 year contract extension with Molson.
From your lips to God's ears.....
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:34 (Ref:1038446)   #383
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TIME TO LOCK THIS SILLY THREAD/TOPIC ?! - read this again and again and again =

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS (July 16, 2004) - What follows is a statement released today by the Champ Car World Series concerning the recent discussions between Champ Car ownership and Indy Racing League representatives concerning the unification of the two major open-wheel racing series in the United States. This release constitutes the final statements to be made by Champ Car concerning this matter.

Following on the initiative of Roger Penske to explore a unification of open wheel racing, ownership representatives of Champ Car World Series and Indy Racing League have met with Mr. Penske to consider the issues. While the ownership representatives of both series agree that one open wheel series is the optimal situation, it is the belief of all involved that the time is not right for further discussion of unification. Both parties appreciate the efforts of Mr. Penske, and both parties believe that each has a better understanding of where common ground exists. No more meetings are planned and both series are moving forward with their future plans.
...and I don't want to hear another peep about any "merger-shmerger" ever again ?!

zerO

Last edited by zerO; 16 Jul 2004 at 18:36.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:40 (Ref:1038453)   #384
Uesque
Racer

Ukraine
Pittsburgh, PA
Uesque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look closer, the almost exact same statement is on the IRL web site. Don't you see what this means? They have actually agreed on something. This is farther than they have ever gotten before!
Daishkyu hinan poope kudasai!
Daishkyu hinan poope kudasai!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:54 (Ref:1038465)   #385
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a very good point Uesque.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 20:01 (Ref:1038518)   #386
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I concur with zerO. Lock the thread NOW!!!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1038530)   #387
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Both Series have posted the exact same words verbatim....

no ned for this discussion to continue....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1038547)   #388
Mags
Veteran

I concur. PG almost ripped Miller's head off when asked about it. It's DEAD.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 20:29 (Ref:1038549)   #389
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Uesque
Look closer, the almost exact same statement is on the IRL web site. Don't you see what this means? They have actually agreed on something. This is farther than they have ever gotten before!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 21:05 (Ref:1038578)   #390
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I hope that we all have a Series to laugh about next year at this time.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 21:08 (Ref:1038581)   #391
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
and that seems to be it.................... for now.

thread is locked , lets move on and enjoy the racing we have