Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jan 2005, 03:51 (Ref:1206068)   #26
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFreak
With the new engine reliability rules some manufacturers simply will not get it right . Honda in particular.
What are you willing to bet on that?
Old 21 Jan 2005, 09:39 (Ref:1206209)   #27
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure he'll score points but I don't think he'll be in the running for them every round but he'll pick up the dregs when they're available.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1206222)   #28
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He'll pick up points. Irrespective of budget, I expect Red Bull will be able to build a little on what Jaguar have achieved so far, but they're not going to suddenly appear in the first few rows of the grid.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1206225)   #29
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If last year Baumgartner scored a point, it's hard to believe that DC won't, honestly
Old 21 Jan 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1206304)   #30
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think DC can get into double figures in races where other drivers and teams make mistakes. Monaco could be ideal for him, especially if the weather's bad.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1206306)   #31
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He should pick up a few points, he knows the tracks, has lots of experience, given the right circumstances, the wind in the right direction and a bit of luck etc.....
Old 21 Jan 2005, 17:51 (Ref:1206573)   #32
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
Monaco could be ideal for him, especially if the weather's bad.
If he can't get past an Arrows in a car that he put on pole, he's not likely to make his way too far up the grid without a lot of drivers running into a lot of trouble!

Last edited by Mr V; 21 Jan 2005 at 17:51.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1206578)   #33
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, well, that was Monaco - and he still scored points.

Coulthard is one of the better overtakers in F1.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 17:59 (Ref:1206583)   #34
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Sure, he scored points, but my point is, he took 44 laps to get past, in one of the fastest cars on thr track. Monaco might be an ideal place to score points, but he has to...
  • a. have a fast car
  • b. qualify well
  • c. overtake a lot of cars or have drivers hit a lot of problems in the race

None of the above a too likely for DC when driving a RBR.

As for DC being one of the better overtakers, JPM is proberbly the best overtaker in F1, but when was the last time he (or Michael, Kimi, Jenson or Fernando) managed it at Monaco?

Last edited by Mr V; 21 Jan 2005 at 18:00.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 18:01 (Ref:1206585)   #35
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
If he can't get past an Arrows in a car that he put on pole, he's not likely to make his way too far up the grid without a lot of drivers running into a lot of trouble!
Monaco 2001- Bernoldi was willing to take both himself and DC out of the race rather than let DC overtake.

Last edited by Fantasy GP610; 21 Jan 2005 at 18:03.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1206586)   #36
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Yes, well, that was Monaco - and he still scored points.

Coulthard is one of the better overtakers in F1.
Have you been to lunch, kb?
Old 21 Jan 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1206593)   #37
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy GP610
Monaco 2001- Bernoldi was willing to take both himself and DC out of the race rather than let DC overtake.
He was doing what he was paid to do, which was to keep DC behind, he managed that till the pitstops.

Could you imagine Tom Walkingshaws reaction to Bernoldi letting DC past? Furious! Not only would his driver have "let" another competitor through (someone he was racing, not being lapped by) and how much TV exposure would Arrows and it's sponsers lost out on?
Old 21 Jan 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1206594)   #38
Mr V
Veteran

England
For what it's worth Alex Wurz did exactly the same with Michael in 1998, and he was, rightly so, applauded for it, even though it did cause him to crash in the end.

What is the difference other than Wurz was running in on of the top 4 teams and Bernoldi wasn't?
Old 21 Jan 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1206600)   #39
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Have you been to lunch, kb?

Well, I've been up since 0420, so I had lunch a while ago - and no, it wasn't liquid!
Old 21 Jan 2005, 18:30 (Ref:1206614)   #40
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Calling point scores is never easy and the new regs add in another variable but.....

On the face of it RBR could score 10 points or less overall, based on the fact that in the (likely) pecking order Toyota and RBR (nee Jaguar) will at the very least swap places and in all probablilty Toyota will mix it more with the factory teams.

That leaves 12 'works' cars chasing 8 finishing places with the general increase in reliability as another factor, althought the 2nd weekend per engine brings in another variable.

So, barring freak results I think RBR will score around 10 points, with say DC scoring the majority of them.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1206645)   #41
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
For what it's worth Alex Wurz did exactly the same with Michael in 1998, and he was, rightly so, applauded for it, even though it did cause him to crash in the end.

What is the difference other than Wurz was running in on of the top 4 teams and Bernoldi wasn't?
So if i read this right........Wurz held up another faster driver around the Monaco circuit and crashed because of it.

Why was he applauded for that .......... surely it is better to finish a F1 race rather than crash

Mr V........ you were using Monaco 2001 as an example to show your opinion of DC's inability to overtake,if he had tried to overtake Bernoldi both of them would have been out of the race,that's why he didn't overtake on track,nothing to do with his perceived (by you) lack of overtaking ability.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1206662)   #42
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think as far as points go DC's 2005 wont be too different from 2004.
He seems more motivated this year.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 23:44 (Ref:1206817)   #43
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFreak
Remember last season? When the Merc engine was grenading in the back of Kimi's car, DC showed a knack for bringing it home; albeit further down the order. With the new engine reliability rules some manufacturers simply will not get it right . Honda in particular. I think DC's talent for not abusing the machinery will serve him well this year.

The effect of the harder compound tires and new aero rules MAY level the field, but teams with supercomputers and CFD experience will be at an advantage. Methinks Jag/RBR has neither of these. Pity.
I think DC is one of the more intelligent racers out there, even if he isn't the fastest in out and out speed. As you rightly say the new regs will have a big part to play this year, and none of us know how yet. There are a lot of top drivers who can't look after their tyres, there are the hot heads like Sato and Massa who will chuck it off the road, and then there is the engine reliablity, which may well be RBR's biggest problem. Dc is pretty good at bringing the car home, through a lot of adversity sometimes, and this may well be his biggest asset to Red Bull
Old 22 Jan 2005, 07:19 (Ref:1206922)   #44
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DC has a lot to offer a second rate team. He is used to the big league and someone wanting to move up could do a lot worse.

Plus, he knows it is make or break time. And he isn't ready for the soup kitchen yet.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 07:25 (Ref:1206923)   #45
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Furthermore, he's managed by one of the smartest guys available : M. Brundle
Old 22 Jan 2005, 07:27 (Ref:1206925)   #46
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy GP610

Mr V........ you were using Monaco 2001 as an example to show your opinion of DC's inability to overtake,
Not at all. I was initially replying to someone who thought that Monaco will be a good place for DC to score points, What i was trying to point out was that IF he can't get up the pecking order in one of the faster cars, hows he going to do it in a slower car?

I never actually questioned his ability to overtake, after all, i posed the question, when was the last time JPM, Michael, Kimi, Jenson or Fernando managed to overtake at Monaco?
Old 22 Jan 2005, 08:25 (Ref:1206943)   #47
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I can see a DC seeing a chequered flag this season.
A surprise result in store,then all you scoffers will have too choke on humble pie.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1207061)   #48
Fantasy GP610
Racer

A lot of the changes in regulations will play to DC's strength's this season,there will be a lot more to it than just having a "faster car".

Plus i think you cannot over-estimate the difference it will make to him being the No 1 driver at Red Bull rather than the No 2 at McLaren.

We seem to go around in circles whenever DC is discussed,but from my point of view i think DC is greatly under-estimated ,and he will surprise a lot of people this season and score more points than the majority seem to think

Last edited by Fantasy GP610; 22 Jan 2005 at 11:55.