Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 7 Dec 2006, 03:31 (Ref:1783769)   #26
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the worst cenario would be ChampCar is not shown on FTA TV in Australia the V8's will be shown but no CC and as D.R.T said even if V8's wern't there the spectator's would still show up , i still would.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 03:58 (Ref:1783778)   #27
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For starters we need to clarify this isn't champcar being at risk for losing it's race at surfers, it's the V8's.

I don't see this as a champcar problem. The race has been around before 'V8 Supercars' even existed. I know aussies that go to the race and not having the V8's on the program isn't going to stop them from going. I think all this is is Mr. C having a fit over the loss of townsville and yanking the chain with the QLD government and Channel 7 by causing trouble for the champcar race. He already ****ed off sponsors by yanking the Australian GP support races and I wouldn't think he'd be dumb enough to lose another high profile event.

Ultimately a solution will probably be reached.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 10:58 (Ref:1783956)   #28
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes I concur, this is a scare tactic. We will soon Vesa with sore feet with all the back tracking they are going to be doing.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 23:11 (Ref:1784542)   #29
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Are we to believe that a three day festival of the Surffers proportions is not noticed by anyone but CC fans
Old 8 Dec 2006, 00:00 (Ref:1784566)   #30
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Chris, the reason the Qld Gov support the event is because of the international exposure, not national exposure.
Well as far as 2006 goes that was very little if any. There was not much on US TV as well.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 00:42 (Ref:1784591)   #31
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
With ChampCar on the rise again the support categories will become less important.
Really? A roadracing/street racing only format is not going to excite to many US fans or US Sponsors. I just hope the "Three Amigo's" have exceptionally long pockets.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 00:47 (Ref:1784593)   #32
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
Really? A roadracing/street racing only format is not going to excite to many US fans or US Sponsors. I just hope the "Three Amigo's" have exceptionally long pockets.
Maybe you could explain yourself a bit better.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 01:12 (Ref:1784606)   #33
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe you could explain yourself a bit better.
Champcar will be running just street and roadcourses in the US and Canada in 2007. It has abandoned ovals, a risky venture in the US, where Oval racing is motorsport to many US fans. It will be running a spec Panoz chassis, which has been designed for roadracing/street courses only. Funding for the new Television package , is being funded by the new owners of Champcar and not outside sponsorship.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 01:18 (Ref:1784608)   #34
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see what the problem with that is though. TC is doing his own TV package this year too. As for running road/street courses, i think that they are differentiating themselves from the Indy League.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 01:28 (Ref:1784615)   #35
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
As for running road/street courses, i think that they are differentiating themselves from the Indy League.
Personally Pete, I reckon this bit is a shame becuase it only widens the gap between Champ and IRL making the chances of getting back together even slimmer. For this form of racing to ever reach its previous lofty heights they must run as 1 class. I hope that eventually commonsence prevails and not only do we get to keep the Goldcost event which will be even better but we could see Team Aus racing in a real Indy500!
Old 8 Dec 2006, 02:20 (Ref:1784627)   #36
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
[Personally Pete, I reckon this bit is a shame becuase it only widens the gap between Champ and IRL making the chances of getting back together even slimmer
Their(Champcar) ratings in the US are lower than Grand Am at present. You are right, I am puzzled by this development
Old 8 Dec 2006, 02:29 (Ref:1784628)   #37
Azza500
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
New Zealand
Azza500 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil
Personally Pete, I reckon this bit is a shame becuase it only widens the gap between Champ and IRL making the chances of getting back together even slimmer. For this form of racing to ever reach its previous lofty heights they must run as 1 class. I hope that eventually commonsence prevails and not only do we get to keep the Goldcost event which will be even better but we could see Team Aus racing in a real Indy500!

Champ cars and Irl joining forces again not a **** show the engines potencial and superiority of ford over the likes of chevy,honda and toyota in the old Cart series was one of the main resons for the split was it not

same reason we dont see any offerings from Gm in F1
Old 8 Dec 2006, 03:33 (Ref:1784686)   #38
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azza500
Champ cars and Irl joining forces again not a **** show the engines potencial and superiority of ford over the likes of chevy,honda and toyota in the old Cart series was one of the main resons for the split was it not
The split had nothing to do with engines, it was to do with Tony George not getting a seat on the CART board (wanting more of a say in how the series was being run).
Old 8 Dec 2006, 03:41 (Ref:1784689)   #39
Azza500
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
New Zealand
Azza500 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so is that why the rules were changed in IRL to exclude fords engines
Old 8 Dec 2006, 03:57 (Ref:1784702)   #40
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford engines were eligible to be used in the first IRL championship in 1996 (as the series ran to CART's 1995 rules).

In 1997 the IRL formed it's own technical regulations, which stipulated normally-aspirated engines. Only GM & Nissan-Infiniti built engines at the time (until Toyota, Honda & Cosworth started developing IRL-spec engines in around 2002).

Ford were never excluded from the IRL, it was Ford who decided not to be involved.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 04:58 (Ref:1784771)   #41
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Champcar will be running just street and roadcourses in the US and Canada in 2007. It has abandoned ovals, a risky venture in the US, where Oval racing is motorsport to many US fans.
What about Mexico, Australia, Europe and China

Oval racing isnt what it used to be in the American landscape. Have you seen attendance at open wheel ovals over the last year. Think of Bahrain.

Quote:
It will be running a spec Panoz chassis, which has been designed for roadracing/street courses only. Funding for the new Television package , is being funded by the new owners of Champcar and not outside sponsorship.
The Panoz chassis can be run on ovals, but it makes no sense on running just one oval a season.

Robert how do you know no outside sponsorship will be involved. The deal was only announced two weeks ago. Considering the extra houses connected to ABC/ESPN and the new events for 07, there is elevated sponsorship potential
Old 8 Dec 2006, 05:15 (Ref:1784790)   #42
D.R.T.
Veteran

Nice try, however try

Speed and all the Americans that are connected to Race Director.

Aswell as all the countries world wide that cover the event.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 07:04 (Ref:1784847)   #43
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Speed and all the Americans that are connected to Race Director.

Aswell as all the countries world wide that cover the event.
That is not TV coverage. How many have "Race Director" in the US? Not many. So I am right the coverage for 2006 was meagre.It the Champcar coverage was not on a free to air major network in the US, it was shown sporadically on Speed and as you say "Race Director" a Internet live streaming program.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 8 Dec 2006 at 07:07.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 07:14 (Ref:1784853)   #44
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Robert how do you know no outside sponsorship will be involved. The deal was only announced two weeks ago. Considering the extra houses connected to ABC/ESPN and the new events for 07, there is elevated sponsorship potential
Well there has been no major sponsorship announced for the series, so it is a case of all of the money coming from the "Three Amigo's" Unless they can get some decent ratings in the US, it will remain the same, even though they are back on a major free to air network and a major cable player.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1785026)   #45
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
That is not TV coverage. How many have "Race Director" in the US? Not many. So I am right the coverage for 2006 was meagre.It the Champcar coverage was not on a free to air major network in the US, it was shown sporadically on Speed and as you say "Race Director" a Internet live streaming program.
Actually the numbers using Race Director are very respectable. Numbers have been printed around here, maybe mountainstar may have them handy (He usually has his finger on the pulse)

What do you mean sporadically, if you mean coverage of each event, before and after you would be correct.

So not sure how you come to the conclusion that 2006 coverage was meagre ? I think your letting the heart control the brain here.

Quote:
Well there has been no major sponsorship announced for the series,
As has been written, the deal was only announced 2 weeks ago, not sure what your expectations are ? However werent you the one who said A1 had no chance of running at Eastern Creek in 07
Old 8 Dec 2006, 11:46 (Ref:1785039)   #46
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Actually the numbers using Race Director are very respectable
Really? It is Internet Streaming , only used by Champcar
Quote:
What do you mean sporadically, if you mean coverage of each event, before and after you would be correct.
Inadequate coverage of each event
Quote:
So not sure how you come to the conclusion that 2006 coverage was meagre ? I think your letting the heart control the brain here.
Ratings for Champcar were abysmal in the US
Quote:
However werent you the one who said A1 had no chance of running at Eastern Creek in 07
A1GP's first choice was a streetrace around the Olympic site..which despaired you greatly.
Quote:
Oval racing isnt what it used to be in the American landscape. Have you seen attendance at open wheel ovals over the last year. Think of Bahrain
Hmmm I really think you maybe wrong there:
http://www.ultratix.net/bristolpic1.jpg
Old 8 Dec 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1785050)   #47
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
You’re right, Dr. Bryan, there are. Hundreds of thousands of people, who regularly join forces to boost the combined IRL and Champ Car ratings to a whopping a 0.9, or less. Compare that to the millions of people that turn out (and turn on) every weekend to get their weekly NASCAR fix, and I'd say you're a bit more outnumbered than you think. But don't sweat it, General Custer. These Indians are unarmed.

I love IRL and Champ Car. In fact, I've yet to find a form of motor racing that I'm NOT interested in. From Formula One to Swamp Buggy racing, if it's on the tube, I'll watch it. And unlike Dr. Bud. E Bryan, I'm absolutely not interested in calling my fellow fans a group of mindless sheep.
From Autoextremist...there are others. If you have other statistics post them and the date they were recorded
Old 8 Dec 2006, 12:06 (Ref:1785056)   #48
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Champ Car is at a disadvantage. Road and Street races are spread out in such a manner that makes it difficult to cover. Then the ratings are not sufficient for someone to invest in beter coverage. I dont ever remember Champ Car fans being happy with TV coverage. They complained about ABC/ESPN, Then SPEED, and on and on.
From Champcar section..Motorsport Forums.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 12:18 (Ref:1785066)   #49
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Really? It is Internet Streaming , only used by Champcar
Really.

Quote:
Inadequate coverage of each event
Please elaborate

Quote:
Ratings for Champcar were abysmal in the US
No doubt, but when we combine Race Director and International covergae aswell, that more than satisfies the Qld Govs objectives.

Quote:
A1GP's first choice was a streetrace around the Olympic site..which despaired you greatly.
Exactly. But you were adament that there would be no A1 at EC under any circumstances.

This clearly isnt the case.

Quote:
Hmmm I really think you maybe wrong there:
http://www.ultratix.net/bristolpic1.jpg
Read closer, Robert. I said Open Wheel
Old 8 Dec 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1785184)   #50
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
D.R.T., as far as ratings for '06 goes in the U.S., Toronto was the highest at 0.9. Six of the races on SPEED, including the last five, were 0.1s.