Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Mar 2012, 09:46 (Ref:3035560)   #1
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 drivers you'd like to see move to LMP endurance racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
A lot of beef towards Trulli. The guy used to be great over a lap in qualifying.

I don't think for a minute he will end up at Toyota but I'd like to see him get a ride at Le Mans somewhere. Then I think he will catch the endurance bug.
I also believe the same, I think that Jarno Trulli quickly adapt to endurance races, and hopefully he will make an agreement with the Toyota team next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronnezx View Post
you know what? i, for one would love to see Fernando Alonso in a TS030. that would bring a tear to my eye
I agree because I am Fernando Alonso fan. Toyota to him could be the Peugeot team, if the team returns. Alonso/Trulli duo could be a source of hard power of Toyota team.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 19:56 (Ref:3035563)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The start point was the above post. So who has what it takes.

There are the usual question marks over Trulli - although I'd like to see him try.
Alonso would be good IMO, he is the best out there and is incredibly consistent. SO not only fast, but has the characteristics of a great endurance driver.

Who else? Jenson, Webber, Kobayashi?
Old 5 Mar 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3035568)   #3
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The start point was the above post. So who has what it takes.

There are the usual question marks over Trulli - although I'd like to see him try.
Alonso would be good IMO, he is the best out there and is incredibly consistent. SO not only fast, but has the characteristics of a great endurance driver.

Who else? Jenson, Webber, Kobayashi?
I would still love to see Schumacher come back after his time in the Sauber-Mercedes.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 20:06 (Ref:3035569)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I've always thought that Coulthard would make a good endurance driver, I know he's retired. Michael Schumacher of course.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 20:22 (Ref:3035580)   #5
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Jenson would make a good transition with having a smooth driving style. I think Fernando would also make a good endurance driver. I dont really watch F1 much any more so cant comment on many more drivers.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 20:23 (Ref:3035581)   #6
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Like to see Barrichello in a drive , Trulli and Webber .
Old 5 Mar 2012, 20:25 (Ref:3035583)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Webber's done it of course, so has Coulthard (albeit briefly) (and in what were once termed GT cars).

I can see TOGF having another go if someone puts up a wad of cash.

I can see Fernando having a go because I think he actually wants to.

I'd have liked to see Rubens in sportscars rather than wasting his time elsewhere....

I'm not in the least fussed about Trulli - can't say I was ever a fan.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 21:53 (Ref:3035644)   #8
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would like to see DC back in sportscars and was hoping he'd get in with Brundle to really maximise that publicity but obviously they have gone their separate ways in terms of UK tv contracts.

I'd like to see Webber back. I'm not sure he'll be content to slide slowly towards the rear of the F1 grid once his time at Red Bull comes to an end.

I think Timo Glock could be quick but most of all I'd love to see Button competing. He's my favourite F1 driver but I reckon he could turn his hand to anything.

Some people maybe don't like the fact that ex-F1 drivers might immediately look to sportscars but I love the fact that some are seeing the WEC as a viable alternative. If the series does gain traction and more manufacturers enter I think the influx of F1 talent will only continue.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 22:21 (Ref:3035663)   #9
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I seem to remember Button saying he would like to try Le Mans at some stage but it would have to be after F1. I think he would make a very good sports car driver.
I would imagine most F1 drivers should adapt to prototypes, but saloon type cars can often prove more difficcult for them.
Kimi Raikkonen would probably like it, less promo work with more driving.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 22:27 (Ref:3035666)   #10
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I'm not on the Raikkonen bandwagon. He'll complain the steering is bad, doesn't seem like he's good on sharing a car with others and is mostly a solo type of driver. Not bad within the team, as a teammate, but he seems more suited to F1. He wants a car to his liking and sharing it with someone else who doesn't follow the same path of setup as he, would probably be a bad combo. Alonso and Hamilton are the types of drivers where they can get in a car and drive it as is and get the best they can out of it. Both of them have won races in cars that're far from the best. '09 McLaren. '08 Renault (even if it was a cheat in one of those wins).
Old 5 Mar 2012, 22:43 (Ref:3035675)   #11
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm not in the least fussed about Trulli - can't say I was ever a fan.
I take it your Trulli not impressed with him then ?
Old 5 Mar 2012, 22:56 (Ref:3035683)   #12
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
As a fan of Toyota, he Trulli let me down in 2009. I feel they had a shot at winning Bahrain, Spa, Brazil and possibly Suzuka. Oh well. If he does sign with them for the TS030 in 2013, maybe his 'Trulli train' wouldn't be so bad for conserving fuel!
Old 6 Mar 2012, 00:03 (Ref:3035705)   #13
hotlavaaaa
Rookie

hotlavaaaa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I've always thought that Coulthard would make a good endurance driver, I know he's retired. Michael Schumacher of course.
DC will be driving in DTM this year and has for the last couple of years so he is most definitely not retired. I could see him getting into a sports car program if it didn't clash with his F1 commentating. I don't get why everybody is so down on Trulli. The guy was in F1 for 14 years. Considering the way F1 chews up and spits out drivers, that is pretty impressive and I would love to see how he does in a sports car.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 00:07 (Ref:3035707)   #14
TF110
Veteran

United States
Seems like he is a Mercedes driver now, like Ralf Shumacher. I wonder if Mercedes will go back to endurance racing anytime in the near future. I sure hope the 2014 regulations entice them, as well as Nissan and Honda.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 00:22 (Ref:3035709)   #15
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Button, Webber and perhaps Perez? He seems to be good on tires. And then there's the quick and quiet Nick... oh hand on....
Old 6 Mar 2012, 00:57 (Ref:3035722)   #16
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
if i had to pick some names i'd say Alonso, Kobayashi, Hamilton, Massa and Kubica. All in the Toyota program Please!

think Time on top for Kubica is slipping away. he's been out of touch with things for ages we are not too sure if he's ever going to be as competitive as he once was. same with Massa. he's a fading star
Old 6 Mar 2012, 00:59 (Ref:3035723)   #17
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not sure a driver that needs to be constantly reminded to go quick is well suited for endurance racing.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 01:24 (Ref:3035733)   #18
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only two current drivers spring to mind. Webber & JB. Although Mark's been there and done it however I think that Jenson's style and abiltity in the wet would be really good at Le Mans. Then again it never rains at LM
Old 6 Mar 2012, 03:45 (Ref:3035753)   #19
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Only two current drivers spring to mind. Webber & JB. Although Mark's been there and done it however I think that Jenson's style and abiltity in the wet would be really good at Le Mans. Then again it never rains at LM

well toyota will be screwed if it rains this year
Old 6 Mar 2012, 04:31 (Ref:3035758)   #20
TF110
Veteran

United States
I'm sure they're prepared for wet weather. 4wd at speeds above 120kmh won't help too much since rain will slow things down. So that advantage of 4wd traction out of slower corners needs to be looked at carefully. What's this have do with F1 drivers in LMP's? Maybe Nakajima will be good in the wet with his SGT experience.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 08:50 (Ref:3035809)   #21
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd quite like to see a combined LM entry of Raikkonen, Loeb and Rossi. Three champs from different parts of the sport taking on one that's new to them all.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 09:22 (Ref:3035824)   #22
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
I'd quite like to see a combined LM entry of Raikkonen, Loeb and Rossi. Three champs from different parts of the sport taking on one that's new to them all.
Loebs already ticked that one on his CV and is now building his own team for GT racing. That said Rossi would be very interesting maybe he should hang up the leathers, that Duke is doing him no favours.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3035829)   #23
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I wonder if Mercedes will go back to endurance racing anytime in the near future.
After '55 and '99 (I deliberately don't mention the Sauber years now) I don't think we'll see Mercedes in endurance racing ever again.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 10:05 (Ref:3035843)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I'm not on the Raikkonen bandwagon. He'll complain the steering is bad, doesn't seem like he's good on sharing a car with others and is mostly a solo type of driver. Not bad within the team, as a teammate, but he seems more suited to F1. He wants a car to his liking and sharing it with someone else who doesn't follow the same path of setup as he, would probably be a bad combo. Alonso and Hamilton are the types of drivers where they can get in a car and drive it as is and get the best they can out of it. Both of them have won races in cars that're far from the best. '09 McLaren. '08 Renault (even if it was a cheat in one of those wins).

Nor me. Past WDC or not, I think he is massively over-rated. And seriously dull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I take it your Trulli not impressed with him then ?

Nope. For me, an F1 also-ran.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 12:06 (Ref:3035907)   #25
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Nope. For me, an F1 also-ran.
Yes, and Monaco Grand Prix also-winner. And the guy who kept beating Alonso for most of the 2004. Yes, that was 8 years ago and not necessarily means he'd set the sportscar world on fire now.