Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: Do you think there should be a Motor sports TV channel?
Yes , I think there should be 15 100.00%
No , It is fine as it is 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 May 2001, 22:55 (Ref:87755)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motor sport TV

Between 9 channels [ BBC 1 and 2 , ITV , CH4 and 5 , Sky sports 1 , 2 , 3 and Eurosport] we can see all our favourite racing series. However they will be squeezed in between Tennis and what ever else. Wouldn't it be bettter to have a Channel dedicated to showing Motor Sports and only Motor sports. This way we can see all the best racing series and catch up with events we have missed and see other races live when usually we would have to wait a week to see them. Last Wednesday I caught brief highlights of the Japanise GT series and I would like to see more but I wouldn't know if it will ever be shown again. There are Football channels and an entire channel dedicated to Man utd. If they can waste a channel on one football club then surely they can produce a channel for Motor sports in general.
Old 2 May 2001, 07:29 (Ref:87878)   #2
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't currently have access to any fancy channels... just BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Ch4 here. So, for me, I certainly wouldn't want motorsport moved to a new channel, UNLESS it was available to all analogue TVs by default! (which it wouldn't be) Or, perhaps, if such a channel was in ADDITION to the existing coverage.

Of course, you can't MOVE (as opposed to 'copy') all motorsport to a new sat/cable/ondigital channel, because the target audience is VASTLY reduced, and the sponsors wouldn't like it.
Old 2 May 2001, 13:37 (Ref:87979)   #3
Sodemo2
Racer

Sodemo2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt that there will ever be a motorsport channel. The sport just sin't big enough to warrant a whole channel. Of course if there was one id go for it.

But even the digital F1 won't come to the UK until there is a big enough demand for it. Apparently only about 10% of current F1 viewers (in Europe etc) go for the Digital F1, so why should they set it up in the UK, if they are just going to make a loss like other countries.
Old 2 May 2001, 20:13 (Ref:88063)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Just let us have Speedvision - i'd be happy
Old 2 May 2001, 20:24 (Ref:88067)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I heard something somewhere that Digital TV will be compulsory in a few years as Analogue is being done away with. Don't worry if you can't afford it - the Government has some sort of scheme in place I think to make one and all 'equal'. I have Sky Digital at the moment and it costs £34.99 a month for the 'Sky World Package'. To recieve Man U TV would be another £4.99 a month then other various channels , like the Racing Channel are the same roughly. BTW there is an Automotive Channel as well for professionals, but I do not know how much that is. There are other interesting channels in there but this is a family forum....
Old 2 May 2001, 20:38 (Ref:88074)   #6
runnyhunny
Racer

There is no way that the government can switch off the analogue TV system!

What about houses that have >1 TV? I believe the current cable, ONdigital and SkyDigital systems are 1-per-household, and/or EXPENSIVE. Oh, and remember that there is a TV tuner in your VCR.

Basically, it's impossible!
Old 2 May 2001, 20:40 (Ref:88075)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
touringlegend is correct - analogue terrestrial TV is being phased out by the goverment. I'm not sure of time scales involved, but it's not too far away...
Old 2 May 2001, 20:46 (Ref:88079)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought it was dramatic when I first heard about it too. ITV are joining on to Sky Digital this year because they basically have to. Before they refused to join because ON Digital (Skys rival) had something to do with ITV.
Old 3 May 2001, 20:59 (Ref:88500)   #9
runnyhunny
Racer

The government want to switch off the analogue system, basically so they can sell the air space to mobile phone companies, and make shedloads of money.

However, it just won't happen in the next few years. It'll be AGES before all the TV sets in the country can receive digital (via cable, satellite or terrestrial).

Even if the government/BBC gave every home an ONdigital receiver (and free-to-air card) it still wouldn't be enough. What about homes with multiple TVs? What about VCRs?
Old 3 May 2001, 21:04 (Ref:88501)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
What about people like me who can't get OnDig even if I wanted to.
Old 4 May 2001, 19:00 (Ref:88964)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally posted by runnyhunny
Even if the government/BBC gave every home an ONdigital receiver (and free-to-air card) it still wouldn't be enough. What about homes with multiple TVs? What about VCRs?
What about homes with multiple TVs? ON Dig. is received through the existing aerial so you have one signal going to one box then splitting up to each room. VCR's I do not see any problem with. I can tape off Sky Digital no problem. Please tell me if there is some sort of technical reason.
Old 5 May 2001, 12:39 (Ref:89268)   #12
runnyhunny
Racer

touringlegend,

Yes, the signal can be split to multiple TVs (with ONd, cable or satellite). However, you only have ONE decoder box, therefore you can't watch two different channels at the same time. If you have cable, you can get multiple decoders, but these cost extra.

As for VCRs, yes, you can tape from ONd, but can you watch a different ONd channel at the same time? No! So that's no good, is it?
Old 5 May 2001, 15:00 (Ref:89300)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I've just asked myself why we got on to talk about this - we only started talking about Digital cause some folk can't afford it. Who cares about multiple TV's etc. Those sort of situations when you tape one thing but want to watch another happens very little.
Old 6 May 2001, 09:56 (Ref:89587)   #14
runnyhunny
Racer

touringlegend,

I care about watching one thing and taping another! It's one of the big points of having a VCR!!! And would you really be happy if you could only have ONE TV per household?! I don't think so...

Anyway, dragging this back on-topic... we can't MOVE motorsport to a special 'motorsport channel' because it wouldn't get the coverage (which sponsors want). Look at Bernie's digital F1 system for an example.

However, I'd quite like some kind of subscription channel that shows EXTRA motorsport... don't they have something called 'Speedvision' in the US?
Old 6 May 2001, 13:32 (Ref:89639)   #15
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally posted by runnyhunny
And would you really be happy if you could only have ONE TV per household?! I don't think so...
I know what you mean. There could be a few murders in my household if there was only one TV...
Old 6 May 2001, 14:01 (Ref:89647)   #16
PlatoFan
Rookie

PlatoFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tryed to kill my dad when he turned the channel from Cart to Golf,did't suceed,he won't do that again