Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 13 Jul 2001, 13:19 (Ref:116586)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am thinking about buying a Chrysler PT Cruiser

I kind of like the looks of it. It reminds me of an old hot rod and it would give us a roomy family car to take on trips. Does anyone own one of these or know someone who does? What do you (or they) think of it? I seen in Car and Driver magazine that Chrysler expects to sell 100,000 of these cars this year in the U.S.
Old 13 Jul 2001, 13:27 (Ref:116593)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't driven one but I did ride in the back. I like the styling but I was unimpressed by the lack of leg and head room in the rear. I was very unimpressed by the mediocre chassis dynamics and the poor straight line performance. I also remember thinking, why is it protesting so loudly, we're not going fast.
Old 13 Jul 2001, 14:07 (Ref:116602)   #3
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dude,

Can you fit a V8 in the front??

Then grow up. Get Smart. Buy a Mustang.

Christ this is hard work.
Old 13 Jul 2001, 14:08 (Ref:116603)   #4
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While Chrysler has hit a home run with the Cruiser's Retro looks, the struck out by not matching the performance to the same levels, at least in this first iteration.

I have read, however, that Chrysler has a more powerful engine in the works for next year, and there are tons of aftermarket hop-up stuff available, so all is not lost there, either.

The few people that I've talked with that own one all like it, with the exception of the above mentioned weaknesses.

Depending on your actual needs/wants, I'd say go for it - you only live once!
Old 13 Jul 2001, 18:59 (Ref:116712)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
A taxi cab from the front, a hearse from the rear... 'nuff said.
Old 13 Jul 2001, 21:48 (Ref:116766)   #6
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The latest optional extras are 'flames' paint job on the bonnet, available in several colours apparently.

Pretty sad really.

Have you tried MAX POWER web site ???

Simon
Old 13 Jul 2001, 21:58 (Ref:116772)   #7
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as the styling goes, I like it but it's a shame the front bumper goes right across the grill, it might look better if the middle chunk was cut out. The new convertable looks good but the car really needs a V8.
Old 13 Jul 2001, 23:38 (Ref:116808)   #8
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Let me think about this:

Does it look Good? - Absolutley not - The "Centura" was more attractive

Does it go well - Hmmm, i think that has been answered.

Is it German or Italian? - NO

Sorry, it just fail the Wrex test (mind you my car only gets 1/3)
Old 14 Jul 2001, 00:08 (Ref:116815)   #9
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, thanks for everyone's input. I am not wanting to Hot Rod it out, I just want a nice roomy family car that gets decent gas mileage. If I wanted something for performance, well that is another topic altogether. I would like to own a Dodge Viper but I'll have to wait until I win the lottery.
Old 15 Jul 2001, 00:01 (Ref:117187)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Joe Fan, I'm with you - the few PT Cruisers which have made it to England are certainly distinctive. American reliability has to be a factor in buying a daily driver, and the Cruiser certainly looks and feels well screwed together. As for performance, well, I've had to put up with a 1400cc automatic for the last three years.

As for Craig's comment about it looking like a cross between a London cab and a hearse... great! I would only want one in black for precisely that reason. But then you lot know that I like hearses anyway.

So definitely, I'm in the market for one.

Oh, and incidentally, someone has seriously rodded one. It was at the Autosport show this January, in full Pro-Street spec, with 18ins bucket tyres, alloy pan and full race cage. The badge on the side had been subtly altered too, the vehicle now carries the monicker "Chrysler PT Bruiser!"
Old 15 Jul 2001, 01:33 (Ref:117199)   #11
Joe Fan
Veteran

Hey guys, I went and looked at one real closely today. It does appear to not have a whole lot of leg room in the back but most of the time, the kiddie with small legs will be back there. The leg room in the rear does seem to depend on how far the front seat is moved back.

I like the front interior as it seems to have some real useful things, like coin slots for loose change and plenty of Coke can holders. It also had a nice CD holder located under the passenger seat.

Overall, I really like it but it doesn't seem to be as "roomy" as I had thought.
Old 17 Jul 2001, 15:02 (Ref:118342)   #12
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think you'll go wrong with a PT Cruiser. One thing I would do however, as a former Dodge owner, make sure your dealer has a reputable repair shop. I had just a few minor troubles with my Dakota pickup and the dealer I bought it from absolutley sucked. They coulf not do an oil change correctly. I eventually used another dealer across town that was much better. Had I known I would have purchased the truck from them.
Old 17 Jul 2001, 23:25 (Ref:118574)   #13
Joe Fan
Veteran

KC, believe it or not, I had some of the same problems with a Ford I once owned. I am pretty much a Ford man but my last two cars have been GM cars because the service center at the GM dealership closest to my house is competent and extremely honest. Service means quite a bit because after so many miles, all cars will have a problem or two.
Old 5 Aug 2001, 23:25 (Ref:126340)   #14
FordPrefect
Rookie

FordPrefect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joe a friend at work bought one, he loves it, no regrets. I've driven it and have been a passenger as well, here are my thoughts.

1. I like the styling, it may be my age, or the fact that it doesn't look like all the cookie cutter cars out there. Retro Rules.

2. Back seat, I've got a different opinion, I found the room very acceptable considering what you get in most affordable cars these days. If memory is correct the back seets are a little higher allowing for good forward visibility.

3. Fun to drive and to be driven in. Great lines and probably a ball to wash and wax. I realize looks are very subjective but look at it this way ...it's NOT a van It is narrower inside than what you would expect but that feeling quickly disappears.

4. My only advice is to wait until the V6 comes out next (or this?) year. Unless you do a lot of urban driving in which case the four is ok.

5. From what I have heard there is a BIG performance difference between the auto and the standard. I'd recommend the standard, more pep and more fun.

6. The only thing I would add would be to get a small set of blue dots, drill out the taillights and epoxy them in :lol:

7. Did I mention fun?

FP
Old 13 Aug 2001, 22:51 (Ref:129957)   #15
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joe Fan, first i love your username as i also call myself a Joefan, my first child goes by the name of Joe

As for the PT, a friend of mine has one, it's black, manual and I have driven it. Performs like you would expect a 1400 cc motor to and also not built for the taller members of the species. Haven't sat in the back as it was loaded with his keyboards but the front could do with a little more room for people like me with loooong legs. Personally, I quite like the look of it and it does attract many comments and stares from people passing you. But perform, sadly nothing to write home about. the six could be a totally different kettle of fish though. To me, why release this with such a sluggish powerplant? They could have sold 3 times the number if the performance matched the styling
Old 29 Aug 2001, 21:25 (Ref:138046)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
Dude,

Can you fit a V8 in the front??
Then grow up. Get Smart. Buy a Mustang.
Christ this is hard work.
Yes forget that PT Loser...Ford Mustang..Lot's of balls..They sound realy nice too!
Old 31 Aug 2001, 08:16 (Ref:138889)   #17
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jersound

Yes forget that PT Loser...Ford Mustang..Lot's of balls..They sound realy nice too!

I'll agree to that !!

Alan

1995 Mustang GT
supercharged/intercooled.
357 RWHP
383 RWTQ
Old 31 Aug 2001, 18:16 (Ref:139139)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Hello Alan...I have never really been into American cars,but after twenty three years in this country I have started to take an interest(about time)LOL...The other day I was looking at a brand new Ford Mustang in a stock colour which I can only describe as their version of candy apple red..WOW it look sharp, and sounded really nice and throaty..

Regards..Jeremy

Last edited by JeremySmith; 31 Aug 2001 at 18:16.