Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 29 Dec 2008, 14:39 (Ref:2362312)   #1
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who's best to volunteer through?

Hi all.

This will be my 2nd year marshalling, having only started last summer. Last year, I did all my volunteering through the BMMC, of which I'm a member. Now I'm getting availability/volunteering forms from all the individual clubs I worked with last year. Is it best to use these (I'm thinking to save BMMC time and paperwork) and just use the BMMC for insurance, or should I do all my volunteering through BMMC?

Any advice is welcome!
Old 29 Dec 2008, 15:32 (Ref:2362334)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
You can volunteer through whichever one you wish. Why not go to Julians site www.marshals.org and volunteer there?
Old 29 Dec 2008, 16:44 (Ref:2362366)   #3
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Stephen has sugguested use Julian's for volunteering keeping a copy of all the dates, then email these to the BMMC for insurance.

The web site addres is www.marshals.org.uk sorry Stephen

Last edited by Andrew Palmer; 29 Dec 2008 at 16:49.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 18:39 (Ref:2362400)   #4
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember that Julian's site does not work for BARC. For reasons of their own they will not use it. You can do their meetings on line after 6th Jan using their website www.barc.net
Old 30 Dec 2008, 11:48 (Ref:2362676)   #5
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for that. I guessed it didn't really matter but thought I'd check just in case there was some sort of volunteering etiquette to go by-didn't want to upset all the clubs so early in my marshalling career!
Old 30 Dec 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2362720)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie
thought I'd check just in case there was some sort of volunteering etiquette to go by-didn't want to upset all the clubs so early in my marshalling career!
Just make sure that you only volunteer once for each meeting!
Old 30 Dec 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2362942)   #7
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by theracegypsy
Remember that Julian's site does not work for BARC. For reasons of their own they will not use it. You can do their meetings on line after 6th Jan using their website www.barc.net
Bob,

I think (if I remember correctly) that Julian did post the BARC dates until last year when BARC launched online volunteering, Julian then said that the BARC dates wouldn't be on his site as they were already available online (and he would therefore be duplicating the effort of typing them in!).
Old 31 Dec 2008, 12:37 (Ref:2363284)   #8
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie
Hi all.

This will be my 2nd year marshalling, having only started last summer. Last year, I did all my volunteering through the BMMC, of which I'm a member. Now I'm getting availability/volunteering forms from all the individual clubs I worked with last year. Is it best to use these (I'm thinking to save BMMC time and paperwork) and just use the BMMC for insurance, or should I do all my volunteering through BMMC?

Any advice is welcome!
Whichever route you choose for your volunteering, please do not forget to let your local BMMC Comp Sec know what you are doing. That way there can be no doubt you are included in the BMMC Personal Accident insurance, which still offers good extension of cover, for MSA and non-MSA events.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 23:19 (Ref:2365962)   #9
Julian
Racer

United Kingdom
Towcester
Julian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletubby
Bob,

I think (if I remember correctly) that Julian did post the BARC dates until last year when BARC launched online volunteering, Julian then said that the BARC dates wouldn't be on his site as they were already available online (and he would therefore be duplicating the effort of typing them in!).
Thanks Martin - No point doing the same thing twice! I have now put a link to the BARC online form on the BARC page on my site.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 19:50 (Ref:2366563)   #10
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by theracegypsy
Latest Update from BARC website.......

Our new 2009 on-line (updated) system for Marshal Volunteering is now being tested.
We expect the system to go live at mid-day on Monday 12th January 2009.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 17:21 (Ref:2368354)   #11
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure it used to be simpler "in my day". Volunteer via BMMC for anyone other than flag/obs unless it was an "odd" club. Flag/Obs via the organising club assuming they were mainstream.

I'll get my coat and walking stick............................
Old 9 Jan 2009, 18:27 (Ref:2368401)   #12
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Think I'm just about sorted now-used a combination of Julian's site, BRDC and BARC forms via snail mail. Think my head is gonna explode! Now, where's that beer????????

Roll on 14th March (750mc at Snett).............
Old 10 Jan 2009, 07:49 (Ref:2368729)   #13
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone seen Oulton Parks dates and forms yet?
Old 10 Jan 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2368772)   #14
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazza
anyone seen Oulton Parks dates and forms yet?
Not yet - the volunteering form is usually ready for the training weekend.