Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 May 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1304543)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ebay Item

Hi there.

I just wondered what you guys think of this.......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...974949496&rd=1
Old 19 May 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1304572)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Well he spelled marshal wrong for a start.........

I think this is out of order personally. If they were being sold as memorabilia, then that would be possibly acceptable - but selling them and stating that they may get you into restricted areas is a different story.

Having said that, I doubt that an unnumbered tabard is the only method of marshal identification at Le Mans - I'm sure some of our regular Le Mans visitors can clarify?
Old 19 May 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1304576)   #3
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't you get issued with white overalls when you marshal Le Mans?
Old 19 May 2005, 13:19 (Ref:1304582)   #4
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!

Never seen anything like it out on the circuit.
Maybe it's a pits marshal bib thing?
Whatever it is, if anybody that's not the regular crew wanders into our (not accessible to the public) area, then they'll get stopped and asked a few questions.
Every year we meet some poor lost soul who has "mistakenly taken a wrong turn and ended up here" - they go right back where they came from. If they don't like that option then we refer them to the jolly gendarmes who can always give you a lift in their wee van.
Likewise wearing a set of white overalls does not make you immune - like all big events you'll have a specific pass with your name written on it by the organisers plus a wristband.

edit - looking at his seller history might be a bike marshal thingy....

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 19 May 2005 at 13:27. Reason: been searching
Old 19 May 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1304670)   #5
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Mr Snatcher has it. His history looks like he "Buys and Sells" Nudge Nudge!
I think he got this from a returning marshal for a few quid in a dark bar, late at night. The pit marshals are given dayglo/reflective orange crosses so whoever buys this little bargain will be very frustrated come race time!
The French for marshal is Commisaire de Piste, so where the "M" comes from...
Old 19 May 2005, 21:00 (Ref:1304897)   #6
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Media = Médias
Medical = Médical

However, after trawling through Yahoo image search with various options, I can't see anyone from the last few years wearing a patch like this. Bike 24hr perhaps?

Al.
Old 19 May 2005, 23:43 (Ref:1304988)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoowert
The French for marshal is Commisaire de Piste...
Sounds like one or two British Marshals too?
Old 20 May 2005, 06:27 (Ref:1305087)   #8
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
only one or two?
Old 20 May 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1305387)   #9
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
only one or two?
on any one post at any given time that is............
Old 20 May 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1305409)   #10
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
I've been advised to report this to the ACO but I don't want to screw the system that gives us guest tickets (and semi-pro cooks and cleaners!) on post. I think I'll stay stumm!
On the subject of marshals and "piste" I can remember when I first started the most willing marshal would be despatched to the Kentagon before the last morning session to order TWO pints of lager for the rest on post 3! Another age!
Old 20 May 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1305646)   #11
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoowert
I've been advised to report this to the ACO but I don't want to screw the system that gives us guest tickets (and semi-pro cooks and cleaners!) on post. I think I'll stay stumm!

Couldn't you do it anonymously? Or better still, get someone else to do it for you? Anyway, do you really think it will screw up the system? If you are honest and tell them about this item for sale, they may be so grateful that they'll even pay you!
Old 21 May 2005, 01:35 (Ref:1305819)   #12
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Yes, Marshals are issued white coveralls with Dunlop logo and a Dunlop cap. I do not recall seeing anything like the item in images during the '99->'02 events that I worked. The items look very "Old".

Old 21 May 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1306126)   #13
bigal
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
bigal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a books and memorabilia stall at this year's Sebring 12 Hours selling old grand prix tabards. Mounted, perhaps with a ticket or photo of the winner, I think they were asking about US$100.
Old 21 May 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1306242)   #14
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Came across a photograph in a book called ' Martini Racing Story 1983-1987',which shows members of the pit crew wearing these tabards during pit-stops. This photo is from 1984 and shows red lettering on a white background.I have also seen similar tabards from 1981 race but the quality is not as good.
Old 21 May 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1306252)   #15
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
So if the item is sold as memorabilia, that's fine, but if the buyer thinks he can get trackside at Le Mans, Dream on sonny!
I'm told that our Le Mans overalls have sold on e bay for quite a tidy sum! Do people go silly for anything to do with any other sport or have got all the nutters in motorsport?
I bet no-one has ever seen any Long Beach tabbards on e bay!
Old 22 May 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1306879)   #16
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Hi there.

I just wondered what you guys think of this.......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...974949496&rd=1
I feel they are a waste of time because to get media access you will need a wrist band of the correct colour a ticket with the correct race number and a tabard of the correct colour these all change each year to get into the tv tower or the ACO tower you need special stckers on your media pass. For the car you need a car pass with the correct race number and parking spot and it must be the correct colour the a different pass from security to drive round inside the circuit and yet another pass to park near the track!!
Old 22 May 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1307487)   #17
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal
There was a books and memorabilia stall at this year's Sebring 12 Hours selling old grand prix tabards. Mounted, perhaps with a ticket or photo of the winner, I think they were asking about US$100.
Oooh, I wonder how much I can get for my "Medical" all areas access pass for British SuperBikes @ Mondello or my AAA Champ Car @ Brands passes.....
Old 22 May 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1307545)   #18
flags
Racer

Wales
aberdare.south wales
flags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do you really think any jobsworth on security would fall for that? i think not.
Old 22 May 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1307596)   #19
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by flags
do you really think any jobsworth on security would fall for that? i think not.

You would be surprised. In many places the `security' has as many holes as a good Swiss (Gruyere) Cheese, especially at about 19h30 on SAT. Some of them appear to have been "conscripted".