Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Dec 2004, 10:02 (Ref:1168759)   #1
oziengineer
Racer

oziengineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 Drivers Drinking

I was disappointed to see the bad press that Kimi Raikkonen has been getting over him having a few ales in public. This happens to the best of us and I think that Kimi has every right to do it. Hans Stuck commented that Schumi does not do this, but was very wobbly at Suzuka last year. He said they cannot afford to do this, but Schumi dominated this year...
Old 1 Dec 2004, 10:10 (Ref:1168771)   #2
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they should all drink.

It would spice up the races.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 10:18 (Ref:1168793)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would object if Kimi would get knackered just half an hour before the race, but not in the off season.

Some journalists should really get a life...
Old 1 Dec 2004, 10:20 (Ref:1168797)   #4
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most drivers have a drink in the off season, they normally only stop about 4 weeks before the start of official testing.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 10:20 (Ref:1168798)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Precisely ASCII. The days when Mike Hawthorn and Peter Collins had shot-drinking competitions during official practice sessions are thankfully long-gone, but I don't see what the significance is of a driver doing this (or smoking pot, for that matter) outside of a race weekend. They're normal people, and we complain enough when they come acorss as bland and uninteresting.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 10:20 (Ref:1168799)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kimi's team is sponsored by a beer company after all... he was just endorsing some of Mr Warsteiner's finest Over and over again, just to make sure
Old 1 Dec 2004, 10:27 (Ref:1168811)   #7
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would pay money to see Schumi and Rubens going shot for shot during Qualifying.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 11:11 (Ref:1168861)   #8
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Precisely ASCII. The days when Mike Hawthorn and Peter Collins had shot-drinking competitions during official practice sessions are thankfully long-gone, but I don't see what the significance is of a driver doing this (or smoking pot, for that matter) outside of a race weekend. They're normal people, and we complain enough when they come acorss as bland and uninteresting.
my throughts entierly.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 12:13 (Ref:1168902)   #9
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's classic BS journalism. When there is nothing of value to report they'll look for the most rediculous low level story and completely blow it out of proportion, simply to make a few bucks. Doens't matter who it's aimed at or how far it goes.

Look at the weeks and weeks of negative publicity that Sammy Sosa took two years ago for the corked bat incident. It was an honest mistake to grab your home run bat for which you delight fans during batting practice but he owned up to it said he was sorry and gracefully accepted the punishment. Yet just simply got battered and bruised in the press for being a cheat, a fake and how many of his home runs were legit. I mean come on and grow up.

It's always good to see that this doens't just happen here in the States but in Europe as well.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 16:42 (Ref:1169104)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO it's more or less what happens to any celebrity; we have to get over it, it has always happened and always will, period
Old 1 Dec 2004, 17:32 (Ref:1169152)   #11
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even Schumi goes on drinking binges, remember the photos of him last season in a Toyota team shirt trashing their hospitality area?

Maybe if Kimi was under performing the harsh press might be justified (from the tabloid leeches at least) but he's one of the best drivers in the world currently.

Who knows, with Juan on the team now maybe Kimi is going all James Hunt in an effort to get noticed?
Old 1 Dec 2004, 17:37 (Ref:1169155)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a pretty sad person who objects to a guy having a few drinks during a rare period away from a tough job.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 01:12 (Ref:1169471)   #13
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen photos of TGF having drinks after the season's ended, so I don't know who this Hans Stuck person is, but he doesn't have all the facts at his fingertips if he thinks Schumacher is the benchmark of moral standards in Formula One.

Kimi's Finnish - no doubt drinking is perfectly acceptable in his culture. I know I've been on a few benders in my time, had a good time, woke up with the hangover and got on with life - doesn't make me less of a person because I've had a few too many to drink.

Bottoms up!
Old 2 Dec 2004, 08:17 (Ref:1169549)   #14
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dixie Flatline
so I don't know who this Hans Stuck person is, but he doesn't have all the facts at his fingertips
*splutter*!!!!

check ur F1 driver facts time I think...
Old 2 Dec 2004, 09:08 (Ref:1169584)   #15
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
And there were 2 Hans Stucks
Old 2 Dec 2004, 10:26 (Ref:1169648)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I'm assuming it was Hans-Joachim, unless a ouija board was involved...
Old 2 Dec 2004, 15:10 (Ref:1169910)   #17
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I well remember Mike Hailwood commenting that his team owner didn't mind his having a "toddy" to calm his nerves before a race. We're SO PC these days.....

Old 2 Dec 2004, 15:14 (Ref:1169913)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hardly think you can call not letting people drink before racing a car "political correctness".
Old 2 Dec 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1169923)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I think it is disgusting. If this is the example set by these sporting heroes to young impressionable minds I am not suprised the entire moral fabric of modern society is going down the pan.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 16:57 (Ref:1169981)   #20
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hes doing exactly what people for thousands of years have been doing, getting drunk.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 17:09 (Ref:1169987)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unlike Kimi, who was ****ed, Falcemob is taking the ****...
Old 2 Dec 2004, 17:25 (Ref:1170001)   #22
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is nothing wrong with a vodka binge every now and then, unless it becomes a way of life. Sometimes it's good to do a format on your harddrive if you know what I mean. It takes the some pressure out of your everyday life, although you may have some new problems in the morning. I don't advocate it, as it basicly melts your brains, but I'm not in a position to judge .

for F1 drivers, it's a bit different though. They work hard and face a lot of pressure, both professional and domestic(wifes, girfriends, normal life stuff), but can't drink most of the time. I'm surprised we don't get more of these pictures.

Last edited by Paarma; 2 Dec 2004 at 17:25.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 17:37 (Ref:1170024)   #23
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dixie Flatline
So I don't know who this Hans Stuck person is,
The mind boggles.................
Old 2 Dec 2004, 21:46 (Ref:1170297)   #24
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stop moaning you all!!

Read Louis T. Stanley's Strictly Off the Record and look again at what Kimi has caused. He's a whimp compared to the guys in the old days

Last edited by Paddy_NL; 2 Dec 2004 at 21:47.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 12:44 (Ref:1171286)   #25
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it seems to me there are two issues.
1. Yeah, it is okay to knock back a few now and then whether you are a public figure or not, but with all of the hub-bub over role models and the like, I think Kimi may have done himself a dis-service.
2. He was, according to the report I read, drinking over a woman, drowning his sorrows so to speak, and that is not good.

In any case, I am certain he wouldn't drink and get into the race car.