Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 18 Jul 2001, 06:11 (Ref:118664)   #1
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Electrical

We currently have a bit of a puzzle on our hands at the moment, and I thought some of you might have some ideas to help solve it!

1986 XF Falcon

First indication of a problem was the dashboard lights flickering (obviously at night). Volts seemed ok, so early assumption made was that the dash could be faulty (as this has happened before). Then, a couple of days later the headlights begin to flicker, volts go down - so we replace the alternator. This makes no difference whatsoever. All wires checked and appear fine (Alternator, Headlights etc etc). Whilst the car is running during the day (ie no headlights) it charges and runs 100%, but as soon as we put those lights on...trouble - at this point I will stress again - the wiring checks out ok.

Any ideas?
Old 18 Jul 2001, 07:06 (Ref:118674)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Have you tried spraying WD40 on the fuse contacts? and hte battery leads are ok? You probably have, and my suggetions sound silly, but what the heck - we are desperate, aren't we? If that fails, it sounds as if there is a short in the system somewhere. You should have stuck with your Holden.
Old 18 Jul 2001, 11:16 (Ref:118748)   #3
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The first problem is you bought a Falcon (and no one say anything because I'd say the same thing if it was a Commodore).

What about the lights themselves?
Old 18 Jul 2001, 15:05 (Ref:118836)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
aaarrrgghhh..i have an 87 XF Diabando and im starting to get a similar problem...my lights just seem too dim..i have purchased a brand new battery so its not that ...not so much the lights but the dashlights are getting dimmer all the time..doeant bother me really as i tend not to bother looking at the dashboard

sorry i cant help you but funny how similar cars have developed a similar problem.
Old 18 Jul 2001, 23:23 (Ref:118992)   #5
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*LOL*...dont ever think that the XF replaced the HQ!! It was my stable, reliable, strong, trustworthy HQ that started like a gem and saved our bacon when the XF decided to die (from this problem) last Friday!

Ok - last night we had another look at the XF, and just re-checked all wiring again... interesting thing is that where the wires connect to the headlights, rather than having the usual "clip in" connectors, they are screwed in with a nut & bolt type thing going on - which looks very strong and correct - except that after we changed it all over to the "click in" regular type, our problem seems to have been solved!! Weird....

Oh...how I adore my Holden!

Marcus - where did the Commodore go??
Old 19 Jul 2001, 02:12 (Ref:119032)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ahhh..well there you go ..good job Diabando..

we have 2 cars my XF and the VN the wifey drives...I am allowed to drive it from time to time though
Old 19 Jul 2001, 13:01 (Ref:119179)   #7
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Start with a Multimeter.
Then check earths, battery connections, alternator feeds, then fuses, fuse holders, ..etc.

Multiple problems (ie though different fuses will indicate a common problem) so the earths are the first.
Also if the headlights drop down to sidelights and do not go off completely you might want to check the ignition switch.

Ianc