Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 May 2018, 13:43 (Ref:3824924)   #2876
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Driver, team management and a few other items are excluded from the budget cap. Please actually read the limits proposed, the reason for MB and Ferrari complaints is they would make almost 50% for Mercedes and 40% for Ferrari of the workforce redundant to meet the cap.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
This will sound callous given it would impact the livelihood of a number of people, but that type of reduction is the point of a budget cap. Smaller teams can’t afford to be as huge as a Mercedes or Ferrari. To make budget caps work, it’s clear that large teams should end up “loosing” more than “winning” when this is done. Which of course the idea of powerful entities giving up power is the main challenge with putting caps in place.

Richard
Old 27 May 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3825066)   #2877
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
This will sound callous given it would impact the livelihood of a number of people, but that type of reduction is the point of a budget cap. Smaller teams can’t afford to be as huge as a Mercedes or Ferrari. To make budget caps work, it’s clear that large teams should end up “loosing” more than “winning” when this is done. Which of course the idea of powerful entities giving up power is the main challenge with putting caps in place.

Richard
I'm in full agreement with you, it sucks that the top teams have become so huge. Believe a few articles have estimated MB, Ferrari and Red Bull each employ more than the remaining teams combined. Someone has to lose and it's probable people will lose jobs, likely their current position and they'll end up at another smaller team, but I think to keep F1 even at it's current status cuts are needed. I think a great many of the F1 personnel are the tops of their fields so other jobs will be calling but to leave F1 will likely hurt.

Also, it will be tough to prove that Renault, Ferrari, MB aren't hiding R&D in the street car or other racing program division. It's a can of worms but I think one the FIA and FOM have to tackle.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Old 28 May 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3825281)   #2878
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Richard
reducing the staff size is a difficult one and certainly may seem callous given we know these people have families and livelihoods to consider...

but a reduction in staff has other benefits. greater competition for jobs which all things being equal should leave us with a higher quality of staff remaining and with an exodus from one team to another could speed up the flow of ideas and technology.

some quality signings by the smaller teams as staff is shed from Merc and Ferrari could lead to faster gains by those smaller teams.

and if the rules climate is right, a new manu/team (or even Renault and Honda) can come in and pick up some of that redundant staff as well...so net effect of those losing jobs may not necessarily be as bad as 50% of Merc and 40% of Ferrari.
Old 28 May 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3825283)   #2879
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Really some teams can cope with less staff, but it’s good to see so many jobs. I could see Merc shedding a few, but not many. Ferrari though will always have a big workforce. It would be nice to have more staff for teams at the back or for teams coming in. I don’t know of we’d see more manufacturers though
Old 6 Jun 2018, 16:27 (Ref:3827198)   #2880
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
new mandatory helmet design introduced by the FIA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPxvlVhiZ7U

looks pretty cool despite the smaller visor. bit surprised they havent introduced any biometric sensors inside of it akin to what they have in the new gloves.

maybe with the gloves any additional sensors become redundant but still a very cool new piece of kit.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 10:58 (Ref:3827370)   #2881
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
New grid procedure from this weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix onwards. Kimi Raikkonen is said to be absolutely thrilled.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...edure-1044933/

Old 7 Jun 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3827372)   #2882
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

looks pretty cool despite the smaller visor. bit surprised they havent introduced any biometric sensors inside of it akin to what they have in the new gloves.

maybe with the gloves any additional sensors become redundant but still a very cool new piece of kit.
The smaller visor actually looks a lot cooler to me, reminds me of the 70's style helmets.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 13:01 (Ref:3827395)   #2883
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

It will be interesting to see what WEC drivers make of the smaller visor.

Nice bit of advertising for Bell.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 14:13 (Ref:3827405)   #2884
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Need to continue to improve safety and this new helmet looks state of the art in that respect
Old 7 Jun 2018, 15:43 (Ref:3827429)   #2885
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Very considerate of the FIA to provide extra business to the helmet manufacturers.

When percolated down to grass-roots competitors (as stated in the press release) will probably be yet another nail in the coffin for those already struggling for budgets to enjoy low cost racing.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3827462)   #2886
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It will be interesting to see what WEC drivers make of the smaller visor.
I am not a fan of the smaller view-port, but understand why they did that. In the past I have personally liked larger view-port helmets and will continue to buy them when available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
When percolated down to grass-roots competitors (as stated in the press release) will probably be yet another nail in the coffin for those already struggling for budgets to enjoy low cost racing.
For the article listed on the FIA site, they don't say or imply this will be required for used in lower series.

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-reveals...tive-helmet-f1

It is my understanding that even helmets based upon the previous FIA 8860 standard (aka super helmets) are VERY expensive. So I expect grass roots racing will continue to not require this level of expensive helmet and that other standards organizations like SFI and Snell will maintain their rating system and that manufactures will provide options at various cost and safety levels. Frankly requiring a helmet like this for grass roots racing will kill racing as we know it.

It is interesting to note that in the internal FIA publication "Auto" that discusses the development new standard, they mention that the previous iteration was an extension of the existing Snell standard while the new one breaks from Snell and is a stand-alone standard. Logically it makes sense to not rely upon other standards when defining your own, but I also wonder if there may be a break between Snell and FIA. Especially given they are now becoming direct competitors.

https://www.fia.com/multimedia/publication/auto-22

Richard
Old 7 Jun 2018, 19:11 (Ref:3827474)   #2887
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
For the article listed on the FIA site, they don't say or imply this will be required for used in lower series.

Richard

Culled from Motorsport article:

Quote:
It will be mandatory in F1 from 2019 and in other championships soon after, said the FIA, which worked with helmet manufacturers Stilo, Bell Racing, Schuberth and Arai during the research phase.

In the UK, the MSA has a nasty tendency to follow the FIA in their requirements. Also a number of other European MSA's mandate the top level of safety equipment when it percolates down from F1 for non-FIA sanctioned events.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 19:22 (Ref:3827477)   #2888
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Culled from Motorsport article:

In the UK, the MSA has a nasty tendency to follow the FIA in their requirements. Also a number of other European MSA's mandate the top level of safety equipment when it percolates down from F1 for non-FIA sanctioned events.
Do other series require the current F1 required helmet? It seems they would only require the new in the cases where the previous generation was required.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 19:39 (Ref:3827486)   #2889
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Whilst the opening is a bit small, given that most single seater helmets have reflective visors, could you not just make the visor the same size as the current helmet, and then visually it'll look identical to the spectators?

The slit to look through is smaller, but vertical vision hasn't really been an issue. The halo and LMP1 A Pillars will probably cause more issues than this.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 20:55 (Ref:3827512)   #2890
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
The info is the same as listed on the FIA site. So no mention of pushing it down to smaller series. This new helmet spec is just a new version of the existing FIA spec that has been around for years. Do these UK/EU series already require drivers to use the FIA 8860 spec?

What is not clear to me is how different the 2010 vs. 2018 version of the spec is. For example the FIA site has a list of 8860-2010 helmets and some are open face (which I assume is a no-no with the 2018 spec?) 8860-2010 helmets seem to be around $1K US minimum. I expect given more stringent requirements that the 2018 spec will drive up cost.

Richard
Old 7 Jun 2018, 21:20 (Ref:3827526)   #2891
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
At the moment, all National meetings run under the control of the MSA require the spec 8860-2004 (valid until 2020), 8860-2010 or 8859-2015.
Old 8 Jun 2018, 08:03 (Ref:3827607)   #2892
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For anything above Nat B we have to run full FIA approved suits, underwear and gloves. Helmets must comply either with FIA or Snell requirements. Seats and belts are also as per FIA requirements. So, if this is mandated it will overrule the current standards and we will be forced to buy new helmets. That said I'm sure there will be various grades, as there are now, so a full Formula 1 grade helmet won't necessarily be required. That said it is still an additional cost, which, as Mike asserts, will drive more people away from the sport.
Old 8 Jun 2018, 08:33 (Ref:3827616)   #2893
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Richard, to add to my and Peter's posts, the current cost of the FIA 8860 helmets being sold in a well known emporium in the UK start at just under $2,500.
Old 8 Jun 2018, 08:43 (Ref:3827619)   #2894
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually $2057.00 to $5850.00
Old 8 Jun 2018, 08:50 (Ref:3827621)   #2895
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Peter, is it possible that you didn't include the dreaded VAT?
Old 8 Jun 2018, 09:04 (Ref:3827624)   #2896
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed it is.
Old 8 Jun 2018, 10:24 (Ref:3827626)   #2897
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Are the FiA going to mandate these new helmets for F1 media from now on too?

Old 8 Jun 2018, 15:16 (Ref:3827680)   #2898
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Richard, to add to my and Peter's posts, the current cost of the FIA 8860 helmets being sold in a well known emporium in the UK start at just under $2,500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Actually $2057.00 to $5850.00
The absolute cheapest I could find via online search in US was approx $1K US, but most were in the $2-5K US range as you both say. So they are expensive for sure.

Richard
Old 8 Jun 2018, 15:58 (Ref:3827685)   #2899
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The recommended retail price for a Bell HP7, which conforms to FIA 8860-2010 and SNELL SA2015 is € 2950.00 + Tax.

http://www.bellhelmets.eu/helmets/advanced/hp7.html
Old 9 Jun 2018, 00:16 (Ref:3827753)   #2900
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The recommended retail price for a Bell HP7, which conforms to FIA 8860-2010 and SNELL SA2015 is € 2950.00 + Tax.

http://www.bellhelmets.eu/helmets/advanced/hp7.html
Holy smoke, it must be nice to have a governing body mandating the use of your product!

Wonder what the actual production cost of one of these is ? € 100.00?

Perhaps the FIA should be batch buying these and distributing them to the members, it is a club after all.