Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Nov 2000, 10:10 (Ref:47770)   #1
Kwan
Rookie

Kwan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I consider that BTCC is the PREMIER touring car series in Britain.But they're only race at Silverstone [International]circuit and Oulton Park [Forest] or [Island]circuit!Why they're not race at full length [GP]circuit of Silverstone and Oulton Park?Even some lower level series(National Saloon Cup,MGF Cup,Caterham,TVR Tuscan,F.Palmer Audi etc.....)were race at [GP]circuit!!!And they also went to SPA!!!I think it will be the great race for BTCC at these[GP]circuits!!!
Old 10 Nov 2000, 10:44 (Ref:47778)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well,

As someone who has raced on all the Silverstone circuits I think the International circuit is the best. Its long enough to maintain interest and short enought to provide many laps without extra large fuel tanks.

I can recommend Spa to anyone but again the cars would need plenty of stamina and reliabilty.

Not too familiar with Oulton Park so I won't comment.

BTW. The BTCC used to race on the GP circuit in the Group 1 and Group A days (when they ran REAL cars)
Old 10 Nov 2000, 18:10 (Ref:47838)   #3
Kwan
Rookie

Kwan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember that they raced at full lenght[GP]circuit of Sliverstone,Oulton Park and Brands Hatch in 1994.These 3 circuits have 2 round(4 race)every year,so i think they should use short version for one round and use [GP] version for another round!!!
Old 10 Nov 2000, 18:19 (Ref:47842)   #4
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who cares!!!

Actually, I generally prefer the short tracks (with the exception of Brands) as you get to see the cars racing more times than you do on the long track.
Old 10 Nov 2000, 18:29 (Ref:47846)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Which is exactly why TOCA stopped using the longer circuits, the longer lap time meant big gaps between seeing the cars.
Old 10 Nov 2000, 19:14 (Ref:47856)   #6
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not that it's Touring Cars, but they've never cut out great chunks of Le Mans, have they? Granted, it's wonderful to see more of the racing, as you get with a short circuit, but it's great to be able to watch from different parts of the longer tracks.

I'm gonna get to the Brands Hatch GP circuit one day...
Old 10 Nov 2000, 19:36 (Ref:47859)   #7
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dream on Danielsun... they'll be digging it up at their earliest opportunity...
Old 10 Nov 2000, 19:39 (Ref:47860)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Danielsun

I'm gonna get to the Brands Hatch GP circuit one day...
Good call, Dan. As long as it gets kept just as it is, without any of that FIA-friendly surgery they've got planned.

Remember that black and red Rover SD1 at Snetterton the other day? I saw that running in the BTCC in about '86/'87. That looked (and sounded) awesome powersliding through Dingle Dell.
Old 10 Nov 2000, 20:59 (Ref:47872)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD

Remember that black and red Rover SD1 at Snetterton the other day? I saw that running in the BTCC in about '86/'87. That looked (and sounded) awesome powersliding through Dingle Dell.

Ah. The inimitable Dennis Leech. It's now owned by Dennis Robinson. Next time you see him ask him about our times in Metros.
Old 11 Nov 2000, 16:30 (Ref:47972)   #10
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TimD, Mallett: did the Rovers smoke as much back then as they do now?
Old 12 Nov 2000, 13:10 (Ref:48048)   #11
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last race I saw on a GP Circuit was this year at Brands, It was a little taxing for a couple of the drivers, Most noteably, young Mr Thompson
Old 13 Nov 2000, 09:26 (Ref:48143)   #12
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Danielsun
TimD, Mallett: did the Rovers smoke as much back then as they do now?
No, but I do remember Dennis Leach always beeing outstanding value, and remarkably competetive for a true privateer effort.

Old 13 Nov 2000, 09:38 (Ref:48145)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
Which is exactly why TOCA stopped using the longer circuits, the longer lap time meant big gaps between seeing the cars.
A valid point.

However in the good old days of Group 1 with the mixed classes they used to run on various length tracks and so at some (say Thruxton) the big capacity cars rulled the roos but at Cadwell or Brands Indy, the smaller cars became more competitive.

Dan,

Your question about smoking Rovers. I will post a question in the Tech Forum.