Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 19 Jun 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2714838)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Need a Backpack Recommendation

I've been a traditional camera bag man ever since I owned my first SLR, but dragging the thing around Le Mans for something like 45-50 hours this year darn near tore my shoulder off. Trouble is that I use the bag for everything, camera, lenses, flash, video camera, water, batteries, raincoat, plus all those essential other bits and pieces. Having watched my colleagues with backpacks this year, a combined camera bag/backpack seems the sensible way to go.

I've been looking at Lowepro (as my last 3 bags have been Lowepro and I've always been very happy with them), I have my eye on a Fastpack 250 or 350. But I think I probably need to see one 'in the flesh' to decide if the smaller one would be big enough.

Has anyone got one of these they can comment on or recommend? Or another similar backback that's worth investigating? I don't want to pay the earth - I'm probably looking at £50-60 here.

Thanks.

Ayse
Old 19 Jun 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2714859)   #2
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lowepro MiniTrekker or similar. Depends exactly how much gear you are carrying about though!
Old 20 Jun 2010, 09:20 (Ref:2714986)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The MiniTrekker seemed to be smaller? I'm looking for a specific camera 'bag' section and a separate backpack section - so I can try and keep things separate.

I need to carry:-

DSLR + one small and one larger (100-300) lens.
Flashgun
Video camera (a few years old and bulkier than the newer ones)
Sunglasses and spare specs
Bottle(s) of water (small)
CF card holder
Spare camera batteries (usually 4)
Spare video camera batteries (1 or 2)
Small radio and headphones (the latter are likely to be much larger on ear jobs next year)
Various other things such as tissues, wipes, notebook etc. etc.

At various times I will also need to carry a light waterproof coat, light pullover (which I forgot to take with me this year and I was freezing at the circuit by 10 pm!), the odd baguette and so on. So it needs to be a reasonable size.
Old 20 Jun 2010, 14:52 (Ref:2715088)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
MiniTrekker is bigger that the Fastpack. It does have two sections but that's not obvious from the pictures on the Lowepro website

If you can imagine taking the backpack off and putting on the floor so that the bit normally against you back is face down. It then opens like a suitcase - the camera section is the main body of the case, the non-camera section is in the lid. MiniTrekker also has the advantage of a built in rain cover.
Old 20 Jun 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2715119)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Ah, now that sounds as if I should investigate then. Is is just a one-sizer?
Old 20 Jun 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2715214)   #6
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many camera bags are now being made with airline hand luggage sizes in mind too. Best option is to go to any good camera shop and what they have, then get a better price online
Old 20 Jun 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2715280)   #7
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a LowePro photo Trekker AWII for sale, but would be looking for a bit more than the £50-60 budget you have

It's in mint condition, used for storage of kit and transportation to circuits only. I switched to Peli cases long ago as I couldn't get my EF400 f2.8 in it comfortably
Old 21 Jun 2010, 16:44 (Ref:2715824)   #8
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive got a crumpler Brians hot tub, dont know if they make it anymore but its HUGE!
Old 22 Jun 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2716258)   #9
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for your small budget look at some of the redsnapper bags at www.redsnapperuk.com

most are 'clones' of Lowepro style cases and get good reviews from people who've bought them.

Mini trekker has a main body for camera stuff and a small pocket for oddments, but you couldn't stuff a jumper in there for example - but a cargo trousers can hold some stuff, and a photo vest / fishermans vest or a coat of many pockets can be useful.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 19:42 (Ref:2716514)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thanks for the tips guys! Much appreciated.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 20:21 (Ref:2716529)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Ayse, I notice that you carry water as well as camera gear in the same bag.
Although you carry it in a different compartment it may not be foolproof as my wife found out to her horror when she found her new Canon literally "floating" last year after the bottle leaked.
It actually wrecked all the electrics and it would have written it off if we had to have it repaired through the normal channels
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Jun 2010, 21:20 (Ref:2716559)   #12
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Although you carry it in a different compartment it may not be foolproof as my wife found out to her horror when she found her new Canon literally "floating" last year after the bottle leaked.
It actually wrecked all the electrics and it would have written it off if we had to have it repaired through the normal channels
You can get camera backpacks with a water bladder fitted for drinking from - although they're expensive.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2716568)   #13
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For something a bit different you might want to have a look at the Kata 3-In-1 range (the 3-in-1 referring to the different methods it can be carried). I got one last year for motorsports photography as it has a slingback option and it's been ideal. Not mainstream but worth a look.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 22:35 (Ref:2716607)   #14
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The MiniTrekker seemed to be smaller? I'm looking for a specific camera 'bag' section and a separate backpack section - so I can try and keep things separate...
A-

I own both a MiniTrekker and a Fastpack 200 and I like them both, but I use them for different purposes. The MT is better when I need to carry more camera gear and a minimum of extra stuff. It is primarily a camera bag and most of the available space is configured to carry camera gear. The separate zippered compartment on the lid of the bag is useful, but not as useful or as large as the separate compartment in the Fastpack.

I have used the Fastpack on two trips to Europe (most recently on my trip to Germany and Le Mans) and it is ideal for such a trip. I carry my minimum camera kit in the camera compartment--A Nikon D300, an 18-200 all-purpose lens, an SB600 flash, spare batteries and charger and camera accessories. You can squeeze a lot in there. I'm pretty sure that I could fit an extra lens in the camera compartment, though maybe not my preferred 80-200 f/2.8. In any case, I refuse to carry such a heavy lens during a 2-week trip to Europe. If I had to or wanted to do so, then I might prefer the MiniTrekker.

The upper compartment on the Fastpack is very useful. You could fit your video camera in there and stuff in a jacket and other small items as well. If you downsized your video camera to something like a Flip, then the upper compartment would offer even more space. There is a net on the side of the bag for a water bottle. I use the top for an extra bottle of water, an extra piece of clothing like a light jacket, small purchases, snacks, etc. There is also a small zippered compartment on the lid, and it is smaller than the compartment on the MT lid, but big enough to stuff a shirt in.

Comparing the FP 250 to my 200, it seems that the main difference is the addition of the laptop compartment on the 250. If you don't carry a laptop, then you could get by with just the 200. The 350 is both bigger and has a laptop compartment, but in my opinion it's too big to lug around all day at a place like Le Mans. But still better than any shoulder bag for walking around all day.

Based on your specs, I would recommend the Fastpack 200 or 250 depending on whether you need the laptop compartment. Even if you don't travel with a laptop, you could fit other stuff in the laptop compartment. There are good photos and specs for all the Lowepro gear here:

http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Camera,14.htm

BTW, I also own two Thinktank bags, one shoulder and one backpack. I like those a lot too, and I use them for still other purposes. You can never have too many camera bags and there is no one bag that will serve all purposes perfectly.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 01:10 (Ref:2716648)   #15
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have to agree with the Fast Pack 200 from Lowepro. It's really well designed and balanced both with and without a camera in the base so is comfortable to wear.

The top section is deceptively large, with plenty of little pockets that can take odds and ends without them getting lost.
Likewise the front pocket section, that is both zipped and has a flap over. Makes access in a hurry a bit difficult, but then if it's a high use item you'd probably have it closer to hand.

The camera section easily takes my camera with the 75-300mm attached so no need to break the camera down at the end of the day to get it into the bag.
The wrap around/side opening zip means also that you can take the camera out/put it back, whilst the flap is down and no-one gets to see what else you have in the camera section or have the contents get wet if typical Raceday weather.

Hope that helps.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2716975)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Really helpful stuff - I'm beginning to get sold on the Fastpack 200, I must say.......
Old 23 Jun 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2716980)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've got a Fastpack 350 which is used on holiday and for walking trips. The lap top goes in it when I go away, but without the computer in there the space is big enough to take an extra layer of clothing, waterproof trousers, etc. It also has a pocket on the side which will take a water bottle. I find it very comfortable to use and it has plenty of capacity for anything I want to take with me as well as happily swallowing several decent sized lenses.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2717057)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
And carrying it around fairly full? I lugged my camera bag around pretty well non-stop for the best part of 30 hours (OK, I put it down now and again, but you get my drift)....
Old 23 Jun 2010, 21:48 (Ref:2717107)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's been on a 4 hour trek in Greece in May and caused me no problems, loaded with 450D, 70-200f4L, 24-105f4L, 17-50f2.8, assorted filters, two water bottles, beach towells, lunch, sweets, sun lotion, hand cream and other assorted bits my wife didn't want to carry in her handbag any more...

Didn't feel much different from my regular marshalling proper rucksack and has all the proper support straps and clips to distribute the weight around and well padded in the back area. Also water resistant (proof?) and the design makes it easy to get at your camera kit or your other supplies easily. Happy to recommend it.

Oh, and goes on aeroplanes without question, although I do have to pretend it's light!
Old 24 Jun 2010, 16:59 (Ref:2717506)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Excellent - sounds spot on! Thanks
Old 24 Jun 2010, 17:00 (Ref:2717507)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post

I don't do repairs through the normal channels Gordon.......

Point taken though.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 23:49 (Ref:2717629)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
loaded with 450D
Whoops. Just spotted I lied. 400D, not that there's much difference.
Old 26 Jun 2010, 21:24 (Ref:2718345)   #23
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you looked at Tamrac? I use an Expedition 7 it comfortably carries my 30D with 100-400 attached a spare body, 2 smaller lenses speedlite flash etc and my laptop!. It has external pockets for memory cards tripod carrier and you can buy external water bottle holders.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2719829)   #24
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Should I mention Billingham?
NOT backpacks, but I've toted my 335 for almost 2 days solid before now...
VERY capacious, it's carried 2 bodies with batt packs, 3 lenses, plus assorted bits n bobs.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 22:40 (Ref:2740711)   #25
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Going to have to go to a shop and see what will work but anyone got a similar setup with kit who can atleast suggest a starting point as to which bag to get.. Would like a backpack.. bag with wheels maybe a bit OTT?

2X bodies. Nikon D200+battery grip & D2X Would idealy want to store both cameras in bag attached to their respective lenses.
Lenses = 70-200mm f2.8 and 17-55mm f2.8.
2x Speedlights SB800 + 600.
Possibly another small lens and then other accesories.

Any ideas?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.