Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 5 Jan 2007, 00:48 (Ref:1806726)   #1
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only single LMP1 car at Sebring test...

Check out the list...

http://www.imsaracing.net/2007/alms/...st entries.pdf

Still only 1 car turning up for the test in LMP1, is the class at crisis point yet?

Is there still time for Creation/Zytek or anybody else to prepare a meaningful challenge to Audi this season?

Not looking Good...

(P.S. Yes I've spotted the lack of GT1 also, but thats for another thread)
Old 5 Jan 2007, 01:13 (Ref:1806738)   #2
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, as you said GT1 has even less cars. Is GT1 at a crisis point?
Old 5 Jan 2007, 01:30 (Ref:1806743)   #3
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymonster
Yes

Also...odd no Marino to test? Just Dario & Bryan for the AGR Courage-Acura.

Last edited by Hazard; 5 Jan 2007 at 01:33.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 01:54 (Ref:1806755)   #4
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymonster
I don't know as it's for another thread!

Seriously though, the last GT1 news I heard was that once all the annual fuss and nonsense is over, it's probably going to be 2 Yellow cars racing against 2 Green cars.

The main issue however is LMP1, as it's supposed to be the flagship class for ALMS. GT1 cars have other series to appear in, but LMP's do not. Therefore lack of LMP1 entry numbers is a potential crisis.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 02:02 (Ref:1806758)   #5
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
I don't know as it's for another thread!

Seriously though, the last GT1 news I heard was that once all the annual fuss and nonsense is over, it's probably going to be 2 Yellow cars racing against 2 Green cars.

The main issue however is LMP1, as it's supposed to be the flagship class for ALMS. GT1 cars have other series to appear in, but LMP's do not. Therefore lack of LMP1 entry numbers is a potential crisis.
What about LMS? GT1 may also have the FIA GT - but it's not really dragging cars away from ALMS.

The grounding of all LMP1 activity mainly Europe is what's hitting ALMS P1... but their LMP2 is astounding - it's not as though the championships dying, just evolving into something different. (You're not missing your hairy back are you?)
Old 5 Jan 2007, 02:14 (Ref:1806761)   #6
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
A few teams did not participate in last years IMSA Sebring test, preferring private test sessions.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 03:14 (Ref:1806776)   #7
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool

(P.S. Yes I've spotted the lack of GT1 also, but thats for another thread)
Corvette already did one of there several winter tests at Sebring. Team Corvette does not test with the other teams.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 09:15 (Ref:1806859)   #8
Stephan2738
Racer

Stephan2738 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think not all the cars that are attending the Sebring test are on that list (yet). I know for instance that Spyker is going to be there and they are not on the list, so it is possible that some LMP1 teams are actually going but are also not on the list.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 12:17 (Ref:1807372)   #9
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps a long hard look needs to be taken at the P1 category rules and regs, if grid sizes are to be hugely reduced. Clearly there is not the appeal to enter into P1. It is meant to be the top class and there are clearly plenty of teams willing to invest in Prototype racing as can be seen from P2.
Perhaps (if there is the pull between the LMS & ALMS) then there could be a place for returning to one major international series with races both side of the "pond", in effect combining ALMS & LMS.
Just a thought.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 13:39 (Ref:1807437)   #10
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan2738
I think not all the cars that are attending the Sebring test are on that list (yet). I know for instance that Spyker is going to be there and they are not on the list, so it is possible that some LMP1 teams are actually going but are also not on the list.
Some teams just may not have made the FORMAL request ( paper work / letter of intent ) for being at the Sebring Wheels Down Winter test.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 13:50 (Ref:1807446)   #11
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a bit premature to call LMP1 dead. Isn't Acura planning to move to LMP1? Porsche possibly as well?

LMP900/LMP1 has been theoretically "dead" since Cadillac pulled out and there's been no major manufacturers as competitors to Audi.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 14:14 (Ref:1807519)   #12
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
I think it's a bit premature to call LMP1 dead. Isn't Acura planning to move to LMP1? Porsche possibly as well?

LMP900/LMP1 has been theoretically "dead" since Cadillac pulled out and there's been no major manufacturers as competitors to Audi.

I certainly don't think its "dead", in fact quite the opposite, but I just wanted to point out that the increase in teams heading towards LMP2 seems to suggest that P2 is more appealing for them (especially non-factory teams).

I thought Acura was heading for LMP2 - but could be completely wrong!
Old 5 Jan 2007, 14:17 (Ref:1807520)   #13
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
I meant after they try LMP2, they were going to move up to LMP1.

Nor am I saying it's "dead" either, just that it hasn't been interesting without major competition, which I think will be coming in the near future.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 14:31 (Ref:1807531)   #14
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

and in europe we have: four new Pescas, two new Creations, one Zytek, one Lola (apparently) on top of three Courages, one Lola plus two Pugs--fourteeen and growing.

If the regs were not so biassed towards diesel power, Pesca, Creation, Zytek and Dyson would have all been competitors to the Audi.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 14:37 (Ref:1807534)   #15
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The thing is though, LMP1 was strong in LMS because there were no manufacturers, so it was more of an even field. With Peugeot showing up, one has to wonder if LMP1 in LMS could dwindle due to domination unless another major automobile manufacturer steps up? Maybe Porsche?
Old 5 Jan 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1807737)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The thing is though, LMP1 was strong in LMS because there were no manufacturers, so it was more of an even field. With Peugeot showing up, one has to wonder if LMP1 in LMS could dwindle due to domination unless another major automobile manufacturer steps up? Maybe Porsche?
There's also the possibility that, once Peugeot gets their LM24 trophy (COD ), ACO will rein in the diesels to more reasonable levels. In fact, I'd suggest that teams / manufacturers like Zytek and Pescarolo are banking on the reining in occurring before they go bankrupt.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 5 Jan 2007, 21:05 (Ref:1807756)   #17
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
There's also the possibility that, once Peugeot gets their LM24 trophy (COD ), ACO will rein in the diesels to more reasonable levels. In fact, I'd suggest that teams / manufacturers like Zytek and Pescarolo are banking on the reining in occurring before they go bankrupt.
Because Pescarolo have had it so good up to now? Come on, they got smoked by the R8s and got smoked by the R10s. Where were the cries of unfair ballance between the turbo and na engines? There wasn't a privateer equivalent of the Audi FSI bi-turbo then either. Heck, there still isn't (all due respect to AER, but it aint happening, not in P1 anyways).
Old 5 Jan 2007, 21:07 (Ref:1807757)   #18
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
ACO will rein in the diesels to more reasonable levels. In fact, I'd suggest that teams / manufacturers like Zytek and Pescarolo are banking on the reining in occurring before they go bankrupt.
I think the ACO should be more liberal with the 'small' teams or Zytech and Pescar as they, may not have the fanical resourse as the manufactures do.

Yet these great indpendent teams are still the back bone of the prototype racing.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 21:21 (Ref:1807767)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Because Pescarolo have had it so good up to now? Come on, they got smoked by the R8s and got smoked by the R10s.
They lost to the R8s due to faulty gearboxes. They were the fastest cars in 2005.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 5 Jan 2007, 21:34 (Ref:1807772)   #20
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They lost to the R8s due to faulty gearboxes. They were the fastest cars in 2005.
They had the advantage in 2005 due to the rules. The deck was stacked in their favor and they still lost. Pre 2005 they had nothing for the R8s.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 21:35 (Ref:1807774)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I know that the Pesca was on the pole in 2005...and thought they were both spots on the front row, but could be wrong about that....

The 2nd place car was th fastest car in the race itself....you're correct....gearbox trouble cost them a lot of time, and they fought their way back to 2nd...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 Jan 2007, 21:45 (Ref:1807781)   #22
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
I know that the Pesca was on the pole in 2005...and thought they were both spots on the front row, but could be wrong about that....

The 2nd place car was th fastest car in the race itself....you're correct....gearbox trouble cost them a lot of time, and they fought their way back to 2nd...
Yeah, they had the front row and left the R8s for dead on the first lap...

You'll recall, the R8s were running with ballast, smaller restrictors, smaller rear wing, and less fuel capacity (I think). The Pescarolo cars were running to hybrid rules. An advantage that they did not exploit.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1807808)   #23
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I think the ACO should be more liberal with the 'small' teams or Zytech and Pescar as they, may not have the fanical resourse as the manufactures do.
More liberal? In what way?
Old 5 Jan 2007, 23:32 (Ref:1807856)   #24
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Yet these great indpendent teams are still the back bone of the prototype racing.
... and yet, aren't the backbone of how the ACO makes money......
Old 6 Jan 2007, 00:24 (Ref:1807878)   #25
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Getting back to the ALMS, you can't blame any team for not wanting to compete against the R10's as there's just no point.

The blatent favouritism of the ACO towards Diesel power is the making of the ALMS LMP1 problem, at least in LMP2 teams feel they have some sort of a chance.

Reducing the tank from 90 to 81 litres just isn't enough. And I'm not just talking about the engine reg's which are the problem, it's things like the stupid non-existant AirCon Coupe rules that raised the minimum weight upto 925kg that was a killer also. If there's one thing a petrol has over a diesel it's a weight advantage, and that was cruely taken away with one pointless ACO ruling.

IMSA tried to re-balance this last season by fudging the rules which they shouldn't have needed to do, and I think they're going to have to repeat this "bribe" if any other teams are going to join this year.