Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 13 Aug 2003, 07:16 (Ref:686862)   #1
pjspeedracing
Rookie

pjspeedracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Request for information reg job opening

Hai, I want to start my career at entry level positions and proceed up the ladder to become a technical advisor in the racing industry and to become a race driver if situations (financial support in the form of sponsorship and age criteria) permit.I have completed 2002 Race Team Training
Program at Autosport Basi Racing School, St-Eustache, Quebec, Canada and Diploma in Automobile Engineering from Hindustan Institute of Engineering Technology (India)
I would be grateful if you could advise me the ways of getting a job as crew member in a race team.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 12:52 (Ref:687108)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's difficult, as you said, you have to start low and work your way up...and almost no jobs in racing are advertised anywhere - almost all through contacts. You might also face another difficulty in that your Automotive degree is from India and it would be difficult for teams to verify what you had learned - you have to make that clear to them.

My advice would be to go to the races, and talk to the various team managers, owners etc...and ask what it would take for you to become say a mechanic or engineer....and then discuss how your skills match. Look in the lower levels (e.g. Formula Ford is a good starting point) as they have a tougher time finding people, and will likely be happy to speak to you for a few minutes. Don't try and sell yourself so much, but just test the market, get advice, find out how your skills match, etc. If you do have the skill and are willing to work, you can probably find a position.

Then, once you get your first job, don't expect it to be glamorous. Those guys work their butts off for a relatively low pay and they often have to cover some of their own travel expenses. Also, from what I've heard (and seen) you ALWAYS have to shopping around both because you want to move up, and because teams vanish overnight. The racing communities are fairly small, but people move around a ton within them.

best of luck to you!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 13 Aug 2003, 16:01 (Ref:687261)   #3
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suggest you contact and talk with "someone that is part of a racing team" and see what they have to say. Taking advice from a regular fan may point you in the wrong direction.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 16:01 (Ref:687262)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would also suggest contacting a racing school such as Bridgestone or Jim Russell and asking their advice. They have assisted a lot of people up the ladder and could possibly direct you where to concentrate your energies.

Considering how many people are chasing these few, valuable positions, I would not buy a house on the strengths of my prospects, were I you. Good luck though.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 17:18 (Ref:687316)   #5
pjspeedracing
Rookie

pjspeedracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the suggestion. Could you help me out with contact e-mail ids of people in Bridgestone and Jim Russell who can be contacted for help in this regard ? Moreover will they help outsiders (who have not taken course with them..)...

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I would also suggest contacting a racing school such as Bridgestone or Jim Russell and asking their advice. They have assisted a lot of people up the ladder and could possibly direct you where to concentrate your energies.

Considering how many people are chasing these few, valuable positions, I would not buy a house on the strengths of my prospects, were I you. Good luck though.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 18:28 (Ref:687367)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.jimrussell.com/ for the one at Mt. Tremblant, and

and Bridgestone Racing School at Mosport...
http://www.goodman-motorsports.com/

You don't need any previous experience for these schools, or have to know anyone. You just show up, pay for the course you want...and get started.

Checkout the Bridgestone Racing school's mechanics training program. It's dirt cheap for what it is, and will get you some seat time that could lead to a scholarship. I know a number of drivers who've launched their careers with that very program. If you don't become a racing driver from it, you'll have excellent training that should allow you to get a job in say...Formula Ford. From there, talk to people in the different series... and see where it goes. It really does come down to talking to people...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 14 Aug 2003, 03:33 (Ref:687784)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And making the connections with people who can introduce you to other people. Not unlike most business.

I have met many people who have gone through Jim Russell's program and been told frankly that they should not quit their day jobs -- and reluctantly the people have admitted that this was good advice. Jim Russell will not take your money and lead you down the garden path. I have a lot of respect for that.