Old 29 Aug 2004, 01:45 (Ref:1080285)   #1
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Subaru the new Volvo

Is Subaru the new Volvo?

What do I mean by this you ask, well it seems to me that the people who 15 or 20 years ago would go out and buy a Volvo are now buying Subaru’s. Subaru is marketing it’s self on safety by saying the 4WD is the be all and end all of safety and technology.

Now you Subaru and Volvo owners out there wont like this but, you are shoehorned in together, sorry. The people who buy these cars in the most part are the people who tend to have the least knowledge and ability of driving of all road users. They believe that by buying a “safe car” that they are invincible and that even though they have no talent and are in general a danger to other road users that they will be alright cause they are in a safe car. The exact same thing said 15 or 20 nears ago by Volvo drivers.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 07:52 (Ref:1080400)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I didnt know the Impreza was as ugly as a 242GL...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 29 Aug 2004, 10:59 (Ref:1080484)   #3
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I heard that the Subaru Impreza was the most popular car with farmers... So many colinbond's right?
Old 29 Aug 2004, 11:06 (Ref:1080491)   #4
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Colin (for the first time ever) I have seen the growing number of Subaru's doing stupid things in front of me over the last couple of years.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 11:12 (Ref:1080498)   #5
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But are they as bad as Saab drivers?
Old 29 Aug 2004, 11:16 (Ref:1080505)   #6
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over here they are worse!
Old 29 Aug 2004, 11:16 (Ref:1080506)   #7
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by touringcarnut
Worse, they think they are invincible but can not drive for ****
Old 29 Aug 2004, 12:27 (Ref:1080529)   #8
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True on all counts...
Old 29 Aug 2004, 12:41 (Ref:1080532)   #9
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Morris clean out your PM box
Old 29 Aug 2004, 19:09 (Ref:1080837)   #10
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Volvos are curiously chic cars these days...if you're looking for fusty look no further than Rover, but as regards safety there'll be no beating Volvo.

Saab is very much a cold, bland choice of car - I can see more old school Volvo there than I can with Subaru. Then you have got all these Saabaru cars coming out in the next couple of years.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 02:20 (Ref:1082070)   #11
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I own 2 Subarus. Neither were purchased on the grounds of safety. Even still does that make me twice as dangerous?
Old 31 Aug 2004, 03:04 (Ref:1082115)   #12
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do people really go out and buy a car based solely on it's safety record??? I would guess not. Looks and image must be pretty high on most buyers shopping list.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 04:17 (Ref:1082155)   #13
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringcarnut
Well, thanks to the 9-2X, Saab and Subaru drivers can be exactly the same.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 14:23 (Ref:1083823)   #14
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Slippy Diff
Do people really go out and buy a car based solely on it's safety record??? I would guess not. Looks and image must be pretty high on most buyers shopping list.
Not many people are really that way inclined. Your average family car buyers rely heavily on the safety record of a car manufacturer before choosing their car.

If it wasn't a high priority for buyers, why would it be a high priority for manufacturers to make safer cars?
Old 25 Sep 2004, 20:58 (Ref:1106847)   #15
sjw75
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
sjw75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you dont see that many subaru's towing caravans !!!

Team circuitmarshal "In-out round and round"
Old 25 Sep 2004, 22:48 (Ref:1106930)   #16
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Funnily enough, the Subaru Forrester XT was voted tow car of the year by the Caravan Club. And I'm pretty sure a Legacy Outback has won it previously.

Old 26 Sep 2004, 04:19 (Ref:1107005)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Subaru the new Volvo

Quote:
Originally posted by colinbond
Is Subaru the new Volvo?

What do I mean by this you ask, well it seems to me that the people who 15 or 20 years ago would go out and buy a Volvo are now buying Subaru’s. Subaru is marketing it’s self on safety by saying the 4WD is the be all and end all of safety and technology.

Now you Subaru and Volvo owners out there wont like this but, you are shoehorned in together, sorry. The people who buy these cars in the most part are the people who tend to have the least knowledge and ability of driving of all road users. They believe that by buying a “safe car” that they are invincible and that even though they have no talent and are in general a danger to other road users that they will be alright cause they are in a safe car. The exact same thing said 15 or 20 nears ago by Volvo drivers.
So by this logic, if we buy the least safe car on the market we will automatically become wonderfully skilled drivers and will prove to one and all what good drivers we are!?

Very interesting theory. Perhaps we can lobby the government regarding rebates for unsafe cars because their drivers are more skilled and therefore less likely to be involved in an accident.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 12:15 (Ref:1111178)   #18
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Re: Subaru the new Volvo

Quote:
Originally posted by Slippy Diff
I would guess not. Looks and image must be pretty high on most buyers shopping list.
You must be kidding! So many cars on the raod are dead dull. Non-car lovers choose cars for all manner of reasons (some bad, some trully unbelievable). Why else would there be so many Vauxhall Vectras around?

Quote:
Originally posted by mac
So by this logic, if we buy the least safe car on the market we will automatically become wonderfully skilled drivers and will prove to one and all what good drivers we are!?
That's not as crazy as it sounds. It's like racing cars - the safer they have become the more risks drivers take. I read an article once where it said that people would drive an awful lot more carefully (and skillfully?) if there was a big spike in the middle of the steering wheel rather than an air bag.

That's not to say we should make cars less safe, just that there can be a relationship between vehicle safety and driver action.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 12:24 (Ref:1111191)   #19
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It has often been said that a big metal spike protruding from the steering wheel would ...erm... concentrate the minds of some of our less careful drivers...

Of course, as a Subaru driver I would dispute the idea that driving a car with the security of AWD etc. automatically makes me more careless...

Last edited by garcon; 30 Sep 2004 at 12:25.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 12:26 (Ref:1112313)   #20
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah yes, I don't think that it is an automatic link....

Last edited by krt917; 1 Oct 2004 at 12:26.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 02:57 (Ref:1113034)   #21
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Re: Re: Subaru the new Volvo

Quote:
Originally posted by krt917
That's not as crazy as it sounds.
Yes it is!!! It's totally preposterous!

I was being sarcastic.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 02:46 (Ref:1182944)   #22
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
All the Subaru drivers are out in force here in Sydney, heaven helps all.

"God save the queen, because nothing can save Subaru drivers"
Old 19 Dec 2004, 19:08 (Ref:1183338)   #23
Locoster
Rookie

Locoster has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
We have both a Subaru Impreza WRX and a Volvo V70 D5.

In the snow you can guess which is better!
Old 20 Dec 2004, 23:49 (Ref:1184526)   #24
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd probably agree Colin, just to see you get strung up by all those fellows with baseball caps on back the front who drive WRX's.

Where is Wrex when you need him?

I have been given the keys to a work Outback, the latest chunky looking model. It is a tight fit for me in the driver's seat and the engine is like a Honda, no real tourque then the thing hits 3,500 revs and before you know it your on the limiter.

It is noticably well built though.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 11:28 (Ref:1184881)   #25
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Well, I've got a '99 Impreza Prodrive, so it's not a WRX. Late Saturday night/early Sunday morning I had to drive home through really heavy rain and standing water. The Scoooby just shrugged it off. I don't think it makes me a better driver, but for sure it's a much safer car to drive in bad conditions.