Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 4 Feb 2006, 04:06 (Ref:1515212)   #1
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Uploaded image different to photoshop

Was playing with some photos from last year, and liked this one. However when I uploaded it, the colours weren't as bright and saturated as they were in PS... double checked and the PS version is definitely brighter and more colourful. Any idea why...?

http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/btcc_brands_01.jpg
Old 4 Feb 2006, 14:24 (Ref:1515473)   #2
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
wht RGB system are you using as defult in Photoshop?
Old 4 Feb 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1515513)   #3
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sometimes find similar things. I never know if it's Photoshop really, I tend to do processing from both my laptop and desktop, and the monitors display are noticably different, what looks right on the laptop comes out all dark on my desktop, and what looks right on the desktop comes out all bright and rough on the laptop.
Old 5 Feb 2006, 15:56 (Ref:1515977)   #4
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are you always working in RGB. If you are changing from CMYK to RGB and visa versa the colours can change sometimes quite dramatically. Also in you are using the 'Save for Web' feature in Photoshop as this can alter the colours slightly. (I don't know why)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James North
II tend to do processing from both my laptop and desktop, and the monitors display are noticably different, what looks right on the laptop comes out all dark on my desktop, and what looks right on the desktop comes out all bright and rough on the laptop.
The monitor on the Laptop is probably calibrated differently from the Desktop monitor.
Old 5 Feb 2006, 16:49 (Ref:1515999)   #5
DWA
Racer

England
Enfield
DWA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think you may need to calibrate your laptop and desktop moniitors so they are identical. ( or as near as). This will help with colour variations between the two. Contact Calumet in Drummond St NW1 who run periodic courses in this and other related topics. They also run them around the country so may be one in Suffolk. Need to buy the hardware with related software to get them the same. Kit is available mail order from many retailers, but found it easier to deal with face to face with tuition, who can guide you.
Old 6 Feb 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1516553)   #6
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Was playing with some photos from last year, and liked this one. However when I uploaded it, the colours weren't as bright and saturated as they were in PS... double checked and the PS version is definitely brighter and more colourful. Any idea why...?

http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/btcc_brands_01.jpg
Have you tried temporarily switching off colour management in PS when you're editing for the web? The image should then display the same whether viewing in PS or a non-colour managed application (like a Web browser). You can always switch it back on again if you want to later adjust for print.
Old 6 Feb 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1516913)   #7
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would bet your problem is that you are using AdobeRGB in your camera as everyone all over the net says that is what you should be using and Photoshop is reading this in the exif and you are editing in the appropriate colorspace.

However, the internet is solely in sRGB color and if you do not convert the colorspace to sRGB after you finish your editing, you will get much more muted colors when you view them online. If you convert the colorspace you will see what you see in Photoshop after the conversion. Also, make sure you convert and do not assign the colorspace.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 12:59 (Ref:1520899)   #8
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwpilot
I would bet your problem is that you are using AdobeRGB in your camera as everyone all over the net says that is what you should be using and Photoshop is reading this in the exif and you are editing in the appropriate colorspace.
What reason do they give for suggesting that people should use AdobeRGB rather than sRGB?
Old 16 Feb 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1524337)   #9
ehasler
Rookie

ehasler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadan
What reason do they give for suggesting that people should use AdobeRGB rather than sRGB?
This site explains the differences quite well.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...obeRGB1998.htm

If you only ever want to put your photos on the internet, then I'd say stick with sRGB all the way through your workflow as it will simplify things, however if you want to do anything more with them, then use Adobe RGB (or even ProPhoto if you work with RAW files and have access to a good quality printer). If you do work in Adobe RGB then you should ideally convert images to sRGB as the final step before you save as a jpg.