Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Mar 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1535237)   #1
Clyde P. Puffer
Rookie

Wales
Mold, Wales
Clyde P. Puffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A British Aussie V8 Driver?

With Ben Clucas moving to Australia to compete in the F3 Championship, does anyone think he could ever make it in the V8 leagues?
Old 3 Mar 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1535243)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We have never seen him race here... he would need to be outstandingly good, and attract the right sort of attention to get on in the sport... same as everyone else.
Old 3 Mar 2006, 09:50 (Ref:1535261)   #3
Clyde P. Puffer
Rookie

Wales
Mold, Wales
Clyde P. Puffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he could fight with the big boys would he be excepted? There might be a link with the new TWG (Tom Walkinshaw Group) and the Holden now being imported here in the UK! It might also bring the series to the British public...
Old 3 Mar 2006, 09:53 (Ref:1535263)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If he put his car on pole and dominated the events (in what is the best car in the field) he may get noticed.

There have been quite a few Poms wander down this way to run in endurance races...
Old 3 Mar 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1535267)   #5
carbontub
Racer

carbontub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The kids not a bad steerer actually he will worry a few in f3 thats for sure.
Old 3 Mar 2006, 09:57 (Ref:1535269)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
He is quickest in private practice at Wakefield this weekend.... again, with the equipment, should be at least a second quicker than the rest...
Old 3 Mar 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1535271)   #7
carbontub
Racer

carbontub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would actually tip him to win it GTR with ease
Old 3 Mar 2006, 10:08 (Ref:1535276)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
we already have a british v8 driver and very competitive he is too
Old 3 Mar 2006, 12:19 (Ref:1535375)   #9
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah you mean The Enforcer?
Old 3 Mar 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1535465)   #10
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And rumours that Tom Chilton is in the frame for an enduro ride, and with Adam Sharpe in the Tubby Taylor AirCon Series, I'm a bit worried that the invasion is coming well before November.
Old 3 Mar 2006, 21:37 (Ref:1535722)   #11
tiko
Racer

tiko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think what a few of the UK guys dont quite get about our F3 series is that its not very competitive. Again, this weekend is the first round of this years series and 10 cars have shown up for practice. There are also only four F304 cars in the field. If Ben Clucas has talent at a euro race winning level, he'd be wanting to pole by at least a second and win races by over 5 seconds to attract any notice from V8Supercar teams. Whats not in his favour is that Formula 3 isnt a support catergory for the V8's and the series isnt televised on the major channels here in Aus, so a V8 team owner or driver scouter would have to looking out for him.
Old 3 Mar 2006, 22:50 (Ref:1535784)   #12
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clucas hasn't had a regular season in the UK since 2002 and was dropped by the Toyota driver development programme, so I guess he is glad to take a full season in anything he can get.
Old 4 Mar 2006, 00:40 (Ref:1535820)   #13
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm not sure that the profile of the Aussie F3 Championship is big enough to raise too much interest from V8SC team hierachy.
Old 4 Mar 2006, 00:54 (Ref:1535824)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tiko maybe do a little research before posting such outlandish and incorrect statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiko
Again, this weekend is the first round of this years series and 10 cars have shown up for practice. There are also only four F304 cars in the field.
Tiko, firstly Friday for this years Camas National series which F3 is a part of, is only Private Practice, many teams have sufficient data not to run on the Friday and dont see it as neccessary. Look at Saturday qualification for the proper indication of the field.

Also as an indicator of the competitiveness of this years field, have a look at the Press releases around the place and have a look at the drivers and teams in this years championship. Its going to be good.

Quote:
Whats not in his favour is that Formula 3 isnt a support catergory for the V8's and the series isnt televised on the major channels here in Aus
Except that in 2006 Australian F3 Championship will be shown on the 9 network, SBS and Foxtel. If they arent major television channels, maybe you could explain to me what is ???
Old 4 Mar 2006, 01:16 (Ref:1535833)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Interesting qualifying Here but not as quick as you might think, certainly slower than first practice

Not sure why Leanne Tander is so far down either...
Old 4 Mar 2006, 05:22 (Ref:1535892)   #16
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it sorta gets you wondering why he headed alkl this way, arent there a plethora of openwheel classes closer to (his) home to choose from?

Seems most people were a little slower in the second session, I wouldn't call 5th too bad for Leanne in her second ever outing in the car. pretty competitive in the midfield, Ill be going for a look tomorrow
Old 4 Mar 2006, 22:26 (Ref:1536379)   #17
tiko
Racer

tiko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Tiko maybe do a little research before posting such outlandish and incorrect statements.

Tiko, firstly Friday for this years Camas National series which F3 is a part of, is only Private Practice, many teams have sufficient data not to run on the Friday and dont see it as neccessary. Look at Saturday qualification for the proper indication of the field.

Also as an indicator of the competitiveness of this years field, have a look at the Press releases around the place and have a look at the drivers and teams in this years championship. Its going to be good.

Except that in 2006 Australian F3 Championship will be shown on the 9 network, SBS and Foxtel. If they arent major television channels, maybe you could explain to me what is ???
My apologies DRT, 2 more cars showed up for qualifying. So again 12 cars in the so called premier open wheel catergory in Australia? Pretty pathetic. So why did half the field, 5-6 cars, hire the track mid week for a day? Also appears most of them ran friday, so it looks to me like the teams are still gathering data not using their "bank of data".

Competitiveness? 12 cars seperated by 6 seconds? 3 seconds covering the top 9? Press releases are typically used to keep a sponsors or the media informed, generally not used as a measure of competitiveness for a catergory.

On the other hand I am pleased they have TV coverage on 9, midday on a saturday? I'm sure every v8 team owner and driver scouter will be tuning in to that.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 02:18 (Ref:1536428)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
My apologies DRT, 2 more cars showed up for qualifying. So again 12 cars in the so called premier open wheel catergory in Australia? Pretty pathetic. So why did half the field, 5-6 cars, hire the track mid week for a day?
Apologies for that Tiko. I did believe that there would be more cars out for Qualifying and racing, but I was wrong.

Quote:
Competitiveness? 12 cars seperated by 6 seconds? 3 seconds covering the top 9? Press releases are typically used to keep a sponsors or the media informed, generally not used as a measure of competitiveness for a catergory.
I was more using the Press release as a means of confirming entries of names and teams with helps with assessing the competition.

I wouldn't give up on F3 tiko, come F1 GP or A1 GP time there should be 20-25 cars as there were last year fighting it out.

Quote:
On the other hand I am pleased they have TV coverage on 9, midday on a saturday? I'm sure every v8 team owner and driver scouter will be tuning in to that.
9 on Saturday and SBS on Sunday and Foxtel showing the coverage a multitude of times.

This is one of the best deals for a National category in years (apart from v8's), way better than what TRackside gave other categories. So I am sure talent scouts not only from v8's will have any trouble viewing the action. Lets remember that not eveyone if F3 wants to drive in the v8s aswell.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 12:49 (Ref:1536631)   #19
mike_slh
Rookie

Denmark
Plymouth
mike_slh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Ben Clucas seemed to do a good job today , winning by 5 and 10 seconds respectively.

http://www.formula3.com.au/results2.asp?id=061wake
Old 6 Mar 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1537169)   #20
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His car certainly seemed to be acting the part a lot differently to the rest, must have a good team on his side.

Will be interesting when they go to some smoother tracks though I would suspect.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1542217)   #21
karting legend
Rookie

karting legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Richard Lyons pity is he has so much talent and no F1 tests.Well done to 888 for giveing him the chance its a pity F1 should do like wise but then again it is money not talent.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 10:52 (Ref:1542222)   #22
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
His car certainly seemed to be acting the part a lot differently to the rest, must have a good team on his side.

Will be interesting when they go to some smoother tracks though I would suspect.
has anyone clued to the fact that 1) The driver is an experienced British F3 driver
supported by...
2) Experienced British F3 Engineer
...?
The gap could even have been larger!