Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Oct 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1741465)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Q. What fuel do Sportscars use?

A. Shell

First Le Mans and now FIA GT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA World Motor Sport Council meeting
Shell has won the tender to be the sole fuel supplier to the 2007 and 2008 FIA GT Championships.
I'm a fan of Optimax, sorry V-Power, but am not keen on this idea. It does quite seem fair that the other fuel suppliers can't put their fuel into these great cars.

It is lucky that it didn't put Peugeot off with its close relationship with Total.
Old 18 Oct 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1741526)   #2
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the US and Canada it is Sunoco FR 96 Octane ~ 102 Octane in Europe
Unleaded.
Old 18 Oct 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1741697)   #3
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a tender, the other fuel suppliers had the opportunity to offer a price and supply service, SRO went with the Shell proposal, it's not that unfair.

I believe it was one of the cost cutting measures wanted by the FIA GT organisers for the teams anyway, with one supplier there's one cost and everyone gets the same fuel.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 03:29 (Ref:1741757)   #4
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shell current hold the tender to supply V8 Supercars in Australia, along with a few other national catergories.

The process seems to work well here in Australia. Some teams obviously sponsored by other oil companies seem to get around the fact that the fuel is from Shell, by transporting it in unmarked barrels or barrels with there sponsor on it.

I must say, as a cost control measure it works well. When we had the Bathurst 24 Hour, nearly every fuel supplier was there, and the prices ranged from about $1.50AUS to $5.00AUS per litre. One teams budget allone on fuel was $30,000AUS, and that was for Elf 102 at $5.00.

Another up side is, you always get a consistant quality of fuel. I know a few engine builders who enjoy this, because they know that what they see on the dyno, is going to be very close to what is going to happen on track.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1741971)   #5
Audi R8R
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
The process seems to work well here in Australia. Some teams obviously sponsored by other oil companies seem to get around the fact that the fuel is from Shell, by transporting it in unmarked barrels or barrels with there sponsor on it.
Or, because the actual oil and lubricants they use are still from their sponsor, it's just the fuel that's not.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 11:46 (Ref:1742014)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi R8R
It was a tender, the other fuel suppliers had the opportunity to offer a price and supply service, SRO went with the Shell proposal, it's not that unfair.
I'm not saying the tender process is unfair. I'm saying that it is a shame that only one fuel manufacturer competes. Actual compete is the wrong word because there is no competition now, I mean supplies.
Quote:
I believe it was one of the cost cutting measures wanted by the FIA GT organisers for the teams anyway, with one supplier there's one cost and everyone gets the same fuel.
I fully understand why, but it is a shame. What about a deal that allows a headline fuel sponsor who will supply everyone for a reasonable rate if they wish, but allow other companies to compete if they chose to. That would surely be better for Shell too, beating yourself is dull.

And, of course, if you take this to the extreme what do we end up with? The 360 Challenge? (a spec series).
Old 19 Oct 2006, 11:47 (Ref:1742017)   #7
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would Audi's diesel run on any other brand of fuel?
Old 19 Oct 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1742068)   #8
Audi R8R
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I'm not saying the tender process is unfair. I'm saying that it is a shame that only one fuel manufacturer competes. Actual compete is the wrong word because there is no competition now, I mean supplies.
I fully understand why, but it is a shame. What about a deal that allows a headline fuel sponsor who will supply everyone for a reasonable rate if they wish, but allow other companies to compete if they chose to. That would surely be better for Shell too, beating yourself is dull.

And, of course, if you take this to the extreme what do we end up with? The 360 Challenge? (a spec series).
No, for a spec series you'd need a grid full of the same car, we don't have that in FIA GT, do we? (Note, you're verging on being silly now Adam! )

As for the deal for a headline fuel sponsor and other allowed to compete? Why would one fuel company pay for the privilege of sponsoring the series, only for another company to come in and kick it's arse and not have to pay for anything? And, I go back to the original point, its a cost saver, which the teams, especially in FIA GT want. One set price for fuel. If you get into a fuel war you end up paying more for - supposedly - better fuel, which drives up cost.
the teams can barely afford the prices to race these cars as it is, why would you choose something that will add to it?

Edited to add: Don't forget, it's something that the teams are happy with, which means they're more likely to stay in the series and it may attract others. Which isn't a bad thing, is it?

Last edited by Audi R8R; 19 Oct 2006 at 12:45.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1742310)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
No, for a spec series you'd need a grid full of the same car, we don't have that in FIA GT, do we? (Note, you're verging on being silly now Adam! )
I am not saying that it is a spec series far from it, but I don't like this for the same reason why I don't like spec. series. Albeit on a (much) smaller scale.
Quote:
As for the deal for a headline fuel sponsor and other allowed to compete? Why would one fuel company pay for the privilege of sponsoring the series, only for another company to come in and kick it's arse and not have to pay for anything?
OK have neither, although this idea is no different to a car manufacturer sponsoring a race or aspect of a race only to be beaten by others (see ALMS).
Quote:
And, I go back to the original point, its a cost saver, which the teams, especially in FIA GT want. One set price for fuel. If you get into a fuel war you end up paying more for - supposedly - better fuel, which drives up cost.
the teams can barely afford the prices to race these cars as it is, why would you choose something that will add to it?
Again, I see why, it is still a shame! We don't have the old GT1 cars at Le Mans, Group C died, 917s were outlawed. All decisions that had reasons behind them. Understandable reasons. It still does not mean it isn't a shame. These are just examples they are not meant to be perfect analogies, as my comparison with spec series was not. They are said to highlight on small point from them.
Quote:
Edited to add: Don't forget, it's something that the teams are happy with, which means they're more likely to stay in the series and it may attract others. Which isn't a bad thing, is it?
Ideally a fuel supply would be open to all AND cheap. It (presumably) wasn't, so we have gone with cheap instead of open to all.
I do not argue that, at this point, this move is not sensible, but I do say it is a shame that the series can't support open competition and full variety.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1744361)   #10
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do Shell supply bio-ethanol, or E85 then?

Regarding the price of fuel, in the UK, we still have to pay the Fuel Duty set by our beloved parliament, which currently accounts for the lions share of the price of a litre of guzzoline.

If you run on diesel, you can run on Red (rebated fuel, ie: no road fuel duty).
Though the quality of red isn't quite there with the latest whizzy road fuels.

Rob.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 15:46 (Ref:1745069)   #11
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
WRONG, you can have a spec. series WITHOUT using spec. chassis.

Spec. tire, spec. fuel, spec. fuel system, spec. comp. ratio, spec.top lap times allowed, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on....
Old 22 Oct 2006, 16:05 (Ref:1745086)   #12
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
...If you run on diesel, you can run on Red (rebated fuel, ie: no road fuel duty)...
I can just see The Man from The Ministry loitering in parc ferme waiting to dip the tanks of the oil burners...
Old 22 Oct 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1745181)   #13
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
WRONG, you can have a spec. series WITHOUT using spec. chassis.

Spec. tire, spec. fuel, spec. fuel system, spec. comp. ratio, spec.top lap times allowed, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on....
Wait? where have I seen this? Oh yah. NASCAR
Old 23 Oct 2006, 06:33 (Ref:1745771)   #14
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Would Audi's diesel run on any other brand of fuel?
Probably yes, however no other brand has made "race diesel" yet.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 16:34 (Ref:1746440)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
---